Pro Wrestling Only

Your best 10 match card.

slabinski611

OK,so I have an alternative card. This may be even more topheavy than my first try but I like it.

1. European title: Owen Hart vs Davey Boy Smith (tourney final)

2. Cruiserweight title: Rey Mysterio vs Eddy Guererro Havoc 97

3. Terry/Dory Funk vs Stan Hansen/Terry Gordy 8/31/83

4. Bret Hart vs Jerry Lawler Summerslam 93

5. Wargames 92

Intermission

6. IC title: Razor Ramon vs Shawn Michaels summerslam 95

7. U.S. title: Tully Blanchard vs Magnum TA Starcade 85

8. Road Warriors vs Hulk Hogan/Tenryu 3/30/91

9. World Tag titles Kenta Kobashi/Mitsura Misawa vs Toshiawa Kawada/Akira Taue 6/9/95

10. World title: Ric Flair vs Jumbo Tsuruta 6/8/83

NEW JAPAN 1980s

- This is hard because if I use one of the big multi-man matches, I lose tons of great wrestlers in one fell swoop. However, since I have 175 matches to choose from, I think I might be able to get away with it. I am going to go with a mix of juniors and big heavy hitting matches with one tag to keep the card strong. I may do 2 or 3 more super cards with different matches using New Japan.

Jushin Liger vs. Naoki Sano (7/13/89)

Buzz Sawyer vs. Victor Zangiev (8/5/89)

Dick Murdoch vs. Abdullah the Butcher (7/7/83)

Tiger Mask vs. Gran Hamada (11/6/81)

Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Kengo Kimura (1/2/87)

*Intermission*

Akira Maeda vs. Yoshiaki Fujiwara (8/29/87)

Shinya Hashimoto vs. Vader (4/24/89)

Riki Choshu & Masa Saito vs. George Takano & Super Strong Machine (3/16/89)

Andre the Giant vs. Stan Hansen (9/23/81)

Hulk Hogan vs. Antonio Inoki (IWGP League Final) (6/2/83)

All Japan had a lot of wrestlers appear more than once so once you do a super card, very hard to do another card on the same night. I threw in Sheik vs. Steamboat in just for Jerry even though I like the match too. I had to end the night with Jumbo-Tenryu. Nothing else felt right.

Joe Malenko vs. Dean Malenko

Ricky Steamboat vs. The Sheik (Brawl)

Tiger Mask vs. La Fiera

Footloose vs. Takano & Nakano

Giant Baba vs. Harley Race

*Intermission*

Masa Fuchi vs. Hiro Saito (Brawl)

Riki Choshu vs. Killer Khan (Bloodbath)

Terry Funk vs. Stan Hansen (Bloodbath)

Nick Bockwinkel vs. Billy Robinson

Jumbo Tsuruta vs. Genichiro Tenryu

I am having fun doing these dream cards so lets hit lucha. This is hard becasue there are so many freaking great long matches, no way a lucha super card doesn't burn a crowd out with those 2/3 falls matches. I minimized the amount of hair/mask matches and I don't know which matches are title matches. Hell, once you put Satanico and Dandy in matches, you eliminate 40 matches.

La Fiera vs. Babyface (8/15/86)

Atlantis y Lizmark vs. El Egipcio y El Faraón (2/17/84)

Jerry Estrada vs. Ultraman (3/2/84)

Kato Kung Lee vs. Kung Fu (Mask vs. Hair) (4/29/88)

MS-1 vs. Sangre Chicana (9/23/83)

*Intermission*

Raul Reyes Jr. & Climax vs. Mocho Cota & Loco Zavala (Sonora 1985)

El Hijo del Santo vs. Negro Casas (Mask vs. Hair) (7/18/87)

El Brazo, Brazo Del Oro y Brazo Del Plata vs. Hombre Bala, Pirata Morgan y El Verdugo (Super Libre) (11/10/89)

Emilio Charles vs. El Dandy (Hair v. Hair) (7/28/89)

Gran Cochise vs. Satanico (9/14/84)

Hell, lets try a Starrcade super card. We'll make it a 12 match card, split between two cities!

Shinjiro Ohtani vs. Eddie Guerrero

Ivan and Nikita Koloff vs. Ole Anderson & Keith Larsen

Rick Steiner vs. Mike Rotunda (TV Title)

Doom vs. Arn Anderson & Barry Windham (Tag Title)

Roddy Piper vs. Greg Valentine (Dog Collar Match)

Sting vs. Vader (King of Cable)

Ultimo Dragon vs. Dean Malenko

Midnight Express vs. Original Midnight Express

Jimmy Valiant vs. Paul Jones (Hair vs. Hair)

Manny Fernandez vs. Abdullah the Butcher

Magnum TA vs. Tully Blanchard (I Quit Cage Match) (US Title)

Ric Flair vs. Ron Garvin (Cage Match) (World Title)

• 2 months later...

10 matches. All title matches, from all eras, from all over the planet. maybe not the "best" matches for these belts, but certainly my favorites. This card would be like 6 hours long haha. The real "Night of Champions"

Eddy Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio Jr. - WCW Cruiserweight Title, Halloween Havoc '97(hey i was there live, it WAS that good)

The Steiner Brothers vs Vader & Bam Bam Bigelow - IWGP Tag Team titles, NJPW 06/25/92

Dynamite Kid vs. Tiger Mask I - NWA Juinor Heavyweight title match, NJPW 04/21/83

William Regal vs. Fit Finlay - WWE United States Title, Great American Bash '06

Mistuharu Misawa vs. Kenta Kobashi - GHC Heavyweight Title, NOAH 03/01/03

Barry Windham & Lex Luger vs.Tully Blanchard & Arn Anderson - NWA Tag Team Titles, Clash of Champions I, 04/01/88

*INTERMISSION*

Sting vs Rick Rude - WCW "International" Title, Spring Stampede '94

Keiji Mutoh vs. Genichiro Tenryu - AJPW Triple Crown Championship, AJPW 06/08/01

Shawn Michaels vs. Sid Vicious - WWF Heavyweight Title, Survivor Series '96

Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat - NWA World Heavyweight Title, Chi-Town Rumble '89(send the fans home happy with a big babyface title win, after a big heel World Title wins)

EDIT: whoops I had Vader in 2 matches. But I like the Steiners/Bam & Vader tag match so much that I went with that. Also if it's *my* card I definitely want to have Stinger on it so I went with Sting/Rude from '94 because they had such a fun chemistry and I think if Rude doesn't get hurt, they eventually beat out the Warrior/Rude Summerslam '89 classic, which is Rude's best singles match IMO.

I like it. Good to have a piss break after the Steiners match and before the main event.

Haha haterrr. Dynamite Kid: best pound for pound wrestler of all time.(Jk but I think Bret Hart has made this assertion)

What can I say, I still love those Kid/Mask matches just like when I first saw them on tape over a decade ago. Can you explain the hate for him? He's just so impressive to me. His look, his speed, his stiff style.

And how bout the 1982 MSG match they had, compared to most of the horseshit on WWF shows(I dunno, Tony Garea matches?) That fight was just an awesome alternative.

*EDIT: haha I missed that "main event" part. I'm shocked. I like my quadruple main event, its got all the PWO favorites: Sid, Sting, Shawn, Mutoh...the WON hall of famers for sure. Atleast they're all in their primes!

Well 2001 'Shining Wizard' Mutoh is my favorite. Distant 2nd is 1989 Great Muta, based on my nostalgia. My local video store only had '89 NWA tapes(everything else was A.H, after Hogan) so grew up watching him the Thunderdome cage, vs. Sting @ the Bash, Starrcade Iron Man tournament etc. Always wondered why Muta never made it to the WWF as a kid.

Mutoh vs Taker was a dream match of mine 10 years ago. Also a Foley/Mutoh feud where they have schizo identity changes? Oh well everyone that was good is too old now and even worse, completely shot out :(

Anyways(Lord I ramble on) yeah I just watched that Finlay/Regal Bash '06 match the other day and it's probably my 2nd favorite match. Nothing tops the Parking Lot Brawl on Nitro. Nothing. Although it's a close 2nd with the Uncensored '96 bout, another tape I wore out from the video store. Loved that match, it was just so different from the rest of the card. Just kept thinking "a triple cage match! It MUST be good...this time.". Oh well DDP & Jarrett did it right if you can forget about the 3rd guy in that match.

I did one the first time there was a thread like this, and it was pretty embarrassing. Let's see if I can do a better job this time.

Shawn Michaels vs. Jeff Jarrett (7/23/95, IC Title) - I think the only good thing I did that first time was booking this to open the show. This feels like it would make a really good opening match, even though it wasn't an opener in real life.

Booker T vs. Disco Inferno (2/21/99) - this opened SuperBrawl IX and the crowd was super hot, even though these two weren't feuding. Booker T was really good for a live crowd.

Raven vs. Chris Jericho (10/25/98, TV Title) - another fun WCW PPV opener with no buildup whatsoever. I like the idea of having this sort of goofy brawling on the undercard as a contrast to the more violent brawling in the main event.

Ernest Miller vs. Elix Skipper (11/10/00) - one of my favorite comedy matches. I wouldn't be true to myself if I didn't have an Ernest Miller match on the show. My broadcast team is not 2000 Tony Schiavone, Mike Tenay, and Stevie Ray, so this might not be as fun as it was in real life.

Owen Hart vs. Vader (9/20/97)

Rey Mysterio, Jr./Kidman vs. Juventud Guerrera/Psychosis (1/4/99) - I actually wanted the match from the week before, with Eddie Guerrero in Psychosis' place, but that ran over 15 minutes. I don't know if eight singles matches and two tags is a good ratio.

Goldberg vs. Scott Hall (7/6/98, U.S. Title) - I wish this had been a non-title match, because I don't like having four title matches on the show. Not many Goldberg opponents were of big card quality, and I wanted a squash-y match.

Jerry Estrada vs. Lizmark (6/18/93, National Light Heavyweight Title)

El Dandy/Satanico/Emilio Charles, Jr. vs. Atlantis/Angel Azteca/Javier Cruz (8/24/90) - shorter and less dramatic than the two May matches featuring these six, and it's not particularly heated, so I like it as sort of a cool-down between the big title match and the big apuestas match. It's still lots of fun.

El Hijo del Santo vs. Brazo de Oro (1/13/91, mask vs. hair) - I'll close this out with a bloodbath for the world's most coveted mask.

I'd use my favorite commentary team, Vince McMahon and Jim Ross, even though Mike Tenay should probably be part of it.

It feels pretty bloated, but maybe it would work as a WrestleMania-like card for whatever promotion this is.

5570773[/url]']

5570737[/url]' date='Nov 5 2013, 04:59 PM']I like it. Good to have a piss break after the Steiners match and before the main event.

Haha haterrr. Dynamite Kid: best pound for pound wrestler of all time.(Jk but I think Bret Hart has made this assertion)

What can I say, I still love those Kid/Mask matches just like when I first saw them on tape over a decade ago. Can you explain the hate for him? He's just so impressive to me. His look, his speed, his stiff style.

And how bout the 1982 MSG match they had, compared to most of the horseshit on WWF shows(I dunno, Tony Garea matches?) That fight was just an awesome alternative.

Man, you are late to the party but we explored the DK- Tiger Mask feud in the DVDVR 1980s New Japan project a few years back. I would link to the old threads but the old board is dead and gone. Anyway, we were in agreement that it's a shame those matches are revered when there was so much better junior stuff going on around those two especially from Tatsumi Fujinami who Dynamiye actually had his best match with. I like Dynamite more than guys like Phil and Dylan but compared to stuff happening at the same time the feud was inferior in almost every way except for maybe speed. Childs watched every single NJ match available from the 80s and can probably articulate why DK vs. TM sucks so bad including the botched spots, the complete lack of psychology, tendency to work hard but not work smart.

Also Tony Garea has been awesome so far when watching matches for the 80s WWF redo.

Ick I love me some old school but awesome is a strong word for him. Awesome to me indicates a 9/10 rating in words to number scaling. I's be willing to look into him but I have never seen anything good from him.

About Dynamite. I have seen the 1980 match that's raved, forget the date since its sadly not on Youtube that I can find. It was match #1 on my Highspots.com 'Best of Dynamite Kid in Japan' tape and I do remember loving it aswell. Honestly it could have been the first match I ever saw from Japan. If you've got a link I would *love* to see it again, since I've been watching all the 80's/90's NJPW I can find this past month. Become a fan of Fujinami actually after thinking he was boring previously and I'll always like watching Kid. From the Maeda group v. Inoki & Fujinami group up to Hash/Tenryu G1 '98 & Hash/Norton and everything I read in that thread.

About the selling. Mask & Kid seem to have their matches broken up in portions. First off the do some long(and boring) leg or arm work so you think it's gonna be a "work the leg so he can't fly around" but then they transition into the Bam Bam Bam moves with no rhyme or reason at Usain Bolt speed but then again that is the the part I love, the *speed*. To this day there aren't many matches that have parts at that speed. I guess there's those Dragon Gat in ROH 6-Man tags but I didn't like those. And couldn't believe they got ***** across the board wherever I read like it was a mathematical equation to rate them and ***** was the answer.

Also the timeframe. Maybe I haven't seen a enough Juinor stuff from the early 80's but they just look so good for being 30 years old. In New York they were running Hogan v. Big John Studd(shit) & in JCP they were running Flair v. Dusty(good but slow & no huge bumps or highspots to speak of.) What's the "good" early 80's Juinor stuff?(Only Japan, I hate Lucha still. I gave it a few chances, from the touted Dandy/Azteca '90 bout to the 2013 Blue Panther stuff and I just didn't like it. I thought for sure I'd like old man Panther, kinda like how I love 'old' Tenryu but I just didn't get it.

I probably don't hate the Dynamite-TM series as much as some. I liked their 1/28/82 and 8/5/82 matches well enough -- high-speed spotfests with pretty good execution. But the 4/21/83 match that Jeff Bowdren rated so highly was a mess, with all the down time and the broken bottle nonsense that led to nothing. Dynamite certainly had his strong points as a worker; he took crazy bumps, his high-impact finishers looked great and he carried an aura of real nastiness. There's just a lot of aimlessness in his matches, where he doesn't seem to use his great tools. As for Sayama, I can't deny that he connected with crowds, from Japan to Mexico to the UK. It wasn't just his costume either. He also got over big without the mask. I think his speed and spring really did come off as remarkable. But it's a little strange to watch in retrospect, because his contemporaries -- from juniors Fujinami to Hamada to lucha flyers such as Ultraman and Super Astro -- did similar stuff and did it more smoothly. I know a lot of people didn't see that other stuff at the time. But even those who did seemed to think Sayama and DK were something special. I don't begrudge anyone who cherishes those matches. They just don't seem remarkable compared to other stuff that happened at the same time, at least not on tape.

I did one the first time there was a thread like this, and it was pretty embarrassing. Let's see if I can do a better job this time.

Shawn Michaels vs. Jeff Jarrett (7/23/95, IC Title) - I think the only good thing I did that first time was booking this to open the show. This feels like it would make a really good opening match, even though it wasn't an opener in real life.

Booker T vs. Disco Inferno (2/21/99) - this opened SuperBrawl IX and the crowd was super hot, even though these two weren't feuding. Booker T was really good for a live crowd.

Raven vs. Chris Jericho (10/25/98, TV Title) - another fun WCW PPV opener with no buildup whatsoever. I like the idea of having this sort of goofy brawling on the undercard as a contrast to the more violent brawling in the main event.

Ernest Miller vs. Elix Skipper (11/10/00) - one of my favorite comedy matches. I wouldn't be true to myself if I didn't have an Ernest Miller match on the show. My broadcast team is not 2000 Tony Schiavone, Mike Tenay, and Stevie Ray, so this might not be as fun as it was in real life.

Owen Hart vs. Vader (9/20/97)

Rey Mysterio, Jr./Kidman vs. Juventud Guerrera/Psychosis (1/4/99) - I actually wanted the match from the week before, with Eddie Guerrero in Psychosis' place, but that ran over 15 minutes. I don't know if eight singles matches and two tags is a good ratio.

Goldberg vs. Scott Hall (7/6/98, U.S. Title) - I wish this had been a non-title match, because I don't like having four title matches on the show. Not many Goldberg opponents were of big card quality, and I wanted a squash-y match.

Jerry Estrada vs. Lizmark (6/18/93, National Light Heavyweight Title)

El Dandy/Satanico/Emilio Charles, Jr. vs. Atlantis/Angel Azteca/Javier Cruz (8/24/90) - shorter and less dramatic than the two May matches featuring these six, and it's not particularly heated, so I like it as sort of a cool-down between the big title match and the big apuestas match. It's still lots of fun.

El Hijo del Santo vs. Brazo de Oro (1/13/91, mask vs. hair) - I'll close this out with a bloodbath for the world's most coveted mask.

I'd use my favorite commentary team, Vince McMahon and Jim Ross, even though Mike Tenay should probably be part of it.

It feels pretty bloated, but maybe it would work as a WrestleMania-like card for whatever promotion this is.

This reads like it was designed to make El-P kill himself. But have to respect what you want to see.

• 8 months later...

Build a ten match card? I am no expert, but I will try.

Opening the card:

Brian Pillman v Jushin Thunder Liger(Superbrawl II) This is a great opener, back and forth action to get the crowd going.

Six-Man Tag: Fabulous Freebirds v Von Erichs(Texas Stadium, 1984) This has it all, brawling, back and forth action, and a hot crowd for the Von Erichs

El Dandy v Angel Azteca(Mexico, 1990) If you have not see any of the El Dandy feuds in 1990, please do, they are all really good.

Dustin Rhodes v Vader(Clash of Champions XXIX, 1994) This is a slower, more hossy-type fight, really great.

Eddie Guerrero v Rey Mysterio, Jr(Halloween Havoc, 1997) Fast-paced and tons of high flier attitude.

The Fantastics v The Sheepherders(Jim Crockett, Sr. Memorial Cup, 1986) Wow, a gem! This match gets a Meltzer five-star rating. One to see if you have not.

War Games Match(WrestleWar 1992) Quite possibly the best ever multi-man match. Dangerous Alliance is a great Heel stable. Also, they take the top turnbuckle of the ring post, genius.

Bret Hart v Steve Austin(WM 13) This match basically created Stone Cold, and endeared him to the fans. Awesome!

Ronny Garvin v Ric Flair(Starrcade 1987) This one is underrated, and gets over looked because a lot of people do not appreciate Ron Garvin as champ, here.

Randy Savage v Ricky Steamboat-Intercontinental Title(WM III) What needs to be said, quite possibly the greatest match, ever. Arguably. Was going to go with Flair v Steamboat, at the clash VI, but I like this a bit better, ring bell and all.

I know that this card would quite possibly never end, but it was some of my favorite matches, that I could recall at the spur of the moment.

I have not included any Japanese matches, because I am just too unfamiliar with them.