Pro Wrestling Only

Vince McMahon - Reallly a "Genius"?

Smack2k

I realize the "autism spectrum" is officially no longer a thing, and thus I am officially no longer on it. That said, I'm very tempted to follow suit in telling Jerry to fuck off, but while it was a wildly inappropriate comment, considering the boatloads of projection he's displaying in these posts, I'm not sure he didn't inadvertently reveal something about himself. At this point, I'm a little less inclined to react with hostility, and a little more inclined to react with pity towards a guy who obviously has a very hard time understanding the world beyond very narrow parameters, and has no way of coping with that other than to demand that everyone else conform to his understanding of the world rather than expand his own mind or even just shrug his shoulders and accept that other people see things differently. It's sad, really.

As to the subject at hand, even if we were to grant that Vince was an innovator, I still don't know that I could grant he's a genius. That said, I don't think I would call any wrestling promoter a genius, and Vince is far and away the most successful there's ever been. I just think that's less proof that he's a genius, and more that he's the smartest moron - he did things and seized opportunities that were really obvious (I'll allow that there may be some hindsight bias there, though I sense that it's not much), but that everyone else was too backwards to do. That's certainly impressive, and worthy of recognition. "Genius"? No. Isaac Newton was a genius. Albert Einstein was a genius. In the art/entertainment world, Michelangelo, Orson Welles, and John Lennon were geniuses. I'm disinclined to include Vince amongst those names.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic