Pro Wrestling Only

Andre the Giant

slabinski611

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old Andre was a really smart, expressive worker who knew how to get around his limitations. Younger Andre, say pre-1983, was an unbelievable force of nature. He was just as charismatic but with exceptional agility for a man his size. He was one of the stars of the New Japan DVDVR set. The Hansen match from '81 and the Killer Khan match from '82 are two of my favorites from the '80s. If we had more '70s Andre on tape, he might be widely regarded as a great worker. Based on what I've seen, he was.

Dylan and Dave pimped this on their Andre podcast and it really is a sight to see. 1972 Andre was 26, somewhat slim, athletic, and a decent heel to boot. The match is long, but pretty damn good and worth the time investment. Strong Kobayashi holds up his end and is guy I've been impressed with between this match and a 1974 match with Inoki that was maybe the best Inoki match I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOOyxdEHZKU...FB&index=20

I would love to see more Andre from before he broke down because almost everything that's out there suggests he was absolutely worthy of the legend. I haven't seen a ton of pre-broken down Andre but it has almost all been interesting stuff.

a 1974 match with Inoki that was maybe the best Inoki match I've ever seen.

To me Inoki is a guy at his best when he's put in there with guys that he can't just fuck around and do whatever he wants. When he's forced to think a bit more, he can be a really good wrestler. Sometimes I think he got a bit lazy and complacent, but certain people could get him into a headspace where he could have great matches.

Andre is certainly one of the guys that forces him into that space.

There isn't any Andre match outside the WMIII and SNME matches with Hogan that I enjoy. The guy had a good size and presence...but that's about it. Definitely someone I would NEVER buy a comp of. He's been called a legend so long by WWE that people just accept it and not really analyze WHY.

Have you seen the Hansen or Khan matches from NJPW, because they are great!

There isn't any Andre match outside the WMIII and SNME matches with Hogan that I enjoy. The guy had a good size and presence...but that's about it. Definitely someone I would NEVER buy a comp of. He's been called a legend so long by WWE that people just accept it and not really analyze WHY.

Andre was a good worker in the 70s, it's not just a line guys roll out either, it's true. How much 70s Andre have you watched? I only ask this, because it would seem strange to me if a guy had seen a bunch of 70s Andre to pick out those two matches from his career.

Actually the exact opposite happened. We went thinking Andre would suck and came out thinking he was pretty incredible. The Andre-Hansen feud from New Japan opened people's eyes. Then discoveries like the Andre-Khan and Andre-Kobayashi matches made us do a double take. Now it is at the point I am actively looking forward to new Andre matches. Even in matches that aren't strong (including a lame Inoki match), Andre was the highlight.

Oh, fuck that. Perfectly fine match. Should not at all gotten WON Worst Match of the Year. It's really smartly put together. Really smart and it's a good performance from Andre and yet another sign that Warrior could follow direction. It's not great (and we all hate long bear-hug spots), but it's a perfectly fine match.

The house show matches where he loses in 20 seconds or whatever are another issue but the SNME match is one of the biggest expectation-reality gaps that I've ever had coming into a match I thought was going to be terrible.

I had the thing written up on DVDVR years ago. I'll take another look. Granted, we do like different things in wrestling and it's not an overly exciting match, but I think it's very, very far from the worst ever, middling at worst, and actually pretty effective in doing what it was trying to do. If you want me to write it up again, I will. To me, it's really damning of the WON at the time, more than anything else and how narrow-minded it was in what it considered good wrestling.

Yeah, I realize on a reread that could come out with me saying that you did. Not my intent. You have your own views on this stuff and they're not WONish in the least.

Alright, I've been meaning to watch the 72 match vs Strong Kobayashi. So I will check that out instead and we'll call it compromise.

I watched six minutes worth of clips from Bockwinkel vs Andre at Cominskey Park. Holy Shit, was it good. Andre was taking some pretty wicked bumps including one huge one over the top ropes with Bock. It was crazy, but the gist you get from the clips is that Andre is working underneath and it looked surprisingly credible. Andre was selling like a champ for Bock, who had some great offense. I wish we had the complete match, but clips are worth watching. Andre/Hansen is pretty bitchin', but I have never been able to find the Khan match. Do we have footage of Harley vs Andre? Did Flair ever work Andre and do we have footage?

I am with Matt on old Andre, I liked the Warrior match, although Warrior sucked, and also loved the Savage match where he attacks Elizabeth. I am not a huge fan of face Andre, didn't love the match which made the 80s lucha set for example, but I love heel Andre he is such a smirky jerk and also can be a terrifying monster

One of my absolute favorite things about heel Andre is that he is definitely the hero of his own story, whether it's him on the way to the ring to Wrestlemania III or cutting promos before Survivor Series 87 about all the fans being excited he's going to be back in the ring or celebrating with the Brainbusters after they win the tag belts. There's such a joie de vivre to him when he's playing this role, which is amazing considering the pain he was in and the frustration he had in life that we always hear about.

I'm not sure I ever actually saw that Savage match. I have to check it out. Savage's title run is a bit of a hole for me.

Another great 'old man Andre' performance is actually at Survivor Series 1987. His pre-match promo is awesome, and during the match he is gigantic douche trolling Hogan and it rules.

I think years ago I had the same "it's sad he can barely move" mindset, but since I started watching 80s stuff a lot closer I think I have enjoyed every old man Andre performance I've seen.

Watched that Andre/Warrior match and man I thought it was pretty good. As for its WON accolades Meltzer probably has ****3/4 rated matches that are worse than that. I don't even think Warrior sucked in it. Even the bear hug spots tended to be good as far as those go with Warrior pumping himself up in his making the crowd go nuts and Andre grabbing that awesome headbutt to the gut on his.