Burt Reynolds

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:57 PM

WWF - I also grew up with the WWF and consider a lot of smart fans hatred of it in the same way some film fans bash Gone with the Wind or Kane. There's something easy about taking apart whatever is on top and explaining why a less successful product is better. 80's WWF was arguably the most successful NA Wrestling product of the last 50 years, they had to do something right. And they did. Except those awful house show first 2-3 matches with SD Jones and company. There's no possible defense for that garbage.

I think you have the wrong movie analogies. It should be:

Posted Image

John

#2 thebrainfollower

thebrainfollower
  • Members
  • 1217 posts
  • Interests:Doctor Who, Star Wars, classic horror, politics, history, theater, and that wrestling thing we are here for.

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:15 PM

Ashamed to admit I've never even seen it John.

#3 BrickHithouse

BrickHithouse
  • Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:19 PM

Worth seeing just for Gleason.

#4 Happ Hazzard

Happ Hazzard
  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

Sally Field looks terrible on that poster. It's amazing that Burt Reynolds was the #1 film star for 5 straight years around that time and Smokey and the Bandit is just about the only memorable film in that run.

#5 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:56 PM

Sally Field looks terrible on that poster.

This is true. She looked far more awesome in the poster for the second, weaker movie:

Posted Image

It's amazing that Burt Reynolds was the #1 film star for 5 straight years around that time and Smokey and the Bandit is just about the only memorable film in that run.

It's worse than that. Smokey came out in 1977 when Burt was #4 behind Sly, Streistand and Clint. His run was 1978-82:

1978: The End, Hooper
1979: Starting Over
1980: Rough Cut, Smokey and the Bandit II
1981: The Cannonball Run, Paternity, Sharky's Machine
1982: The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, Best Friends

1978 may include Semi-Tough, which was release in November 1977.

It's a funny list. It's odd to think of Burt at his "peak" being in a movie directed by Norman Jewison and written by Barry Levinson.

John

#6 Smack2k

Smack2k
  • Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

It's amazing that Burt Reynolds was the #1 film star for 5 straight years around that time and Smokey and the Bandit is just about the only memorable film in that run.

NEVER blasphemy Canonball Run as not memorable....EVER!!! That movie is the best he was EVER in!!

LOL...Smokey is the best...but Canonball is really good to!!!

Without getting into details for the territories that I have seen enough of:

1. AWA
2. Crockett
3. Portland
4. WCCW
5. Mid-South / UWF
6. Florida
7. Southeast / Continental
8. Memphis (I know a lot of people wont agree with this, but as much as I like Memphis, the others are better to me and shit to put Memphis at 8 means PRO WRESTLING FUCKIN ROCKED in the 80's)

Maritimes / Montreal / Vancouver All-Star are all gaining steam the more and more I see though..

#7 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:05 PM

Ashamed to admit I've never even seen it John.

The riff is that the WWF in the 80s wasn't Kane or Gone With The Wind. It was something very successful, that at it's best was good, had a major charismatic star and good-to-great supporting cast, that was more than a bit goofy and shouldn't (nor isn't) taken as a high end example of the Art Form, but was laid out in a well enough fashion to deliver for its fans.

I liked Smokey at the time, though of course I was only 11 so it's not like I had watched much Ozu or Bergman or Kurosawa. But I was flipping channels this weekend during a commercial break in a football game, came across it... and for the couple of scenes I watched (one was Gleason busting the whorehouse where the local Sherrif happened to be partaking of the services), it still is perfectly entertaining within its type of movie.

Plus I'm a Sally Fields mark, and she was so cute and hot in it...

Posted Image

;)

John

#8 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5676 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:06 PM

The Longest Yard was Burt Reynolds best film.

#9 Smack2k

Smack2k
  • Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:07 PM

I am not a Sally Field fan...but god damn she was SMOKIN hot in that movie...I liked the Frog!!! The star though? Clearly was FRED!

#10 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11316 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:11 PM

Probably Deliverance is the best Reynolds movie.

#11 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

NEVER blasphemy Canonball Run as not memorable....EVER!!! That movie is the best he was EVER in!!

Canonball worked at the time, but I wonder if in re-watch it will come across as a movie where they were doing a ton of booze and blow and just making shit up as they went along. And if you're going to watch a movie like that from that era, I like this more:

Posted Image

Especially if you also get time to listen to the commentary track with Robert Zemeckis (writer & director), Kurt Russell (star) and Bob Gale (writer & producer) which might be my favorite commentary track of all time as they have shitloads of fun remembering making the movie. :)

#12 BrickHithouse

BrickHithouse
  • Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:17 PM

Since we're on the subject of ranking the territories in the 80s, my favorite Sally Field movie is Mrs. Doubtfire. Also, Used Cars absolutely kicks ass and I'm laughing out loud thinking back on a couple of scenes in particular.

#13 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:24 PM

The Longest Yard was Burt Reynolds best film.

Before his run at #1.

Probably Deliverance is the best Reynolds movie.

That was before he even broke into the Top 10.

For a small little movie, I might go with Breaking In because it's so removed from his typical character and performance.

For a big movie, of course Boogie Nights is the best movie he was ever in.

Posted Image

#14 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

Since we're on the subject of ranking the territories in the 80s, my favorite Sally Field movie is Mrs. Doubtfire.

Also, Used Cars absolutely kicks ass and I'm laughing out loud thinking back on a couple of scenes in particular.

Seriously... if you don't have the DVD, get it, make sure it has the commentary, and enjoy those three laughing out loud at the goofy shit they put up on the screen.

:)

#15 Smack2k

Smack2k
  • Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:15 PM

Canonball worked at the time, but I wonder if in re-watch it will come across as a movie where they were doing a ton of booze and blow and just making shit up as they went along. And if you're going to watch a movie like that from that era, I like this more:

Posted Image

Especially if you also get time to listen to the commentary track with Robert Zemeckis (writer & director), Kurt Russell (star) and Bob Gale (writer & producer) which might be my favorite commentary track of all time as they have shitloads of fun remembering making the movie. :)

YES!!! Used Cars is THA SHIT! GREAT MOVIE!!

#16 KrisZ

KrisZ
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 9864 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:36 PM

Smokey & The Bandit gave Jimmy Valiant promo material for two straight years...also Cannonball Run II is one of the greatest movies ever and I will not hear anyone spew nonsense saying otherwise.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 El Boricua

El Boricua
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 1484 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:39 PM

I second KrisZ on Cannonball Run II. How many other movies have their theme song sung by Menudo? That seals it right there. :lol:

#18 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10162 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:44 PM

I always meant to see the first Cannonball Run since I never have but they always had Cannonball Run II on netflix/on demand/tv instead

#19 KrisZ

KrisZ
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 9864 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:51 PM

Watch the 2nd one it's better because this man is a bad guy.

Posted Image

#20 khawk20

khawk20
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 2315 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:23 AM

Cannonball Run 1 and 2 = kick ass movies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users