Pro Wrestling Only

Burt Reynolds

jdw

WWF - I also grew up with the WWF and consider a lot of smart fans hatred of it in the same way some film fans bash Gone with the Wind or Kane. There's something easy about taking apart whatever is on top and explaining why a less successful product is better. 80's WWF was arguably the most successful NA Wrestling product of the last 50 years, they had to do something right. And they did. Except those awful house show first 2-3 matches with SD Jones and company. There's no possible defense for that garbage.

I think you have the wrong movie analogies. It should be:

Posted Image

John

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sally Field looks terrible on that poster.

This is true. She looked far more awesome in the poster for the second, weaker movie:

Posted Image

It's amazing that Burt Reynolds was the #1 film star for 5 straight years around that time and Smokey and the Bandit is just about the only memorable film in that run.

It's worse than that. Smokey came out in 1977 when Burt was #4 behind Sly, Streistand and Clint. His run was 1978-82:

1978: The End, Hooper

1979: Starting Over

1980: Rough Cut, Smokey and the Bandit II

1981: The Cannonball Run, Paternity, Sharky's Machine

1982: The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, Best Friends

1978 may include Semi-Tough, which was release in November 1977.

It's a funny list. It's odd to think of Burt at his "peak" being in a movie directed by Norman Jewison and written by Barry Levinson.

John

It's amazing that Burt Reynolds was the #1 film star for 5 straight years around that time and Smokey and the Bandit is just about the only memorable film in that run.

NEVER blasphemy Canonball Run as not memorable....EVER!!! That movie is the best he was EVER in!!

LOL...Smokey is the best...but Canonball is really good to!!!

Without getting into details for the territories that I have seen enough of:

1. AWA

2. Crockett

3. Portland

4. WCCW

5. Mid-South / UWF

6. Florida

7. Southeast / Continental

8. Memphis (I know a lot of people wont agree with this, but as much as I like Memphis, the others are better to me and shit to put Memphis at 8 means PRO WRESTLING FUCKIN ROCKED in the 80's)

Maritimes / Montreal / Vancouver All-Star are all gaining steam the more and more I see though..

Ashamed to admit I've never even seen it John.

The riff is that the WWF in the 80s wasn't Kane or Gone With The Wind. It was something very successful, that at it's best was good, had a major charismatic star and good-to-great supporting cast, that was more than a bit goofy and shouldn't (nor isn't) taken as a high end example of the Art Form, but was laid out in a well enough fashion to deliver for its fans.

I liked Smokey at the time, though of course I was only 11 so it's not like I had watched much Ozu or Bergman or Kurosawa. But I was flipping channels this weekend during a commercial break in a football game, came across it... and for the couple of scenes I watched (one was Gleason busting the whorehouse where the local Sherrif happened to be partaking of the services), it still is perfectly entertaining within its type of movie.

Plus I'm a Sally Fields mark, and she was so cute and hot in it...

Posted Image

;)

John

NEVER blasphemy Canonball Run as not memorable....EVER!!! That movie is the best he was EVER in!!

Canonball worked at the time, but I wonder if in re-watch it will come across as a movie where they were doing a ton of booze and blow and just making shit up as they went along. And if you're going to watch a movie like that from that era, I like this more:

Posted Image

Especially if you also get time to listen to the commentary track with Robert Zemeckis (writer & director), Kurt Russell (star) and Bob Gale (writer & producer) which might be my favorite commentary track of all time as they have shitloads of fun remembering making the movie. :)

The Longest Yard was Burt Reynolds best film.

Before his run at #1.

Probably Deliverance is the best Reynolds movie.

That was before he even broke into the Top 10.

For a small little movie, I might go with Breaking In because it's so removed from his typical character and performance.

For a big movie, of course Boogie Nights is the best movie he was ever in.

Posted Image

Since we're on the subject of ranking the territories in the 80s, my favorite Sally Field movie is Mrs. Doubtfire.

Also, Used Cars absolutely kicks ass and I'm laughing out loud thinking back on a couple of scenes in particular.

Seriously... if you don't have the DVD, get it, make sure it has the commentary, and enjoy those three laughing out loud at the goofy shit they put up on the screen.

:)

Canonball worked at the time, but I wonder if in re-watch it will come across as a movie where they were doing a ton of booze and blow and just making shit up as they went along. And if you're going to watch a movie like that from that era, I like this more:

Posted Image

Especially if you also get time to listen to the commentary track with Robert Zemeckis (writer & director), Kurt Russell (star) and Bob Gale (writer & producer) which might be my favorite commentary track of all time as they have shitloads of fun remembering making the movie. :)

YES!!! Used Cars is THA SHIT! GREAT MOVIE!!

I love the way this thread was completely car-crashed. When I say "love", what I mean is that I'm completely non-plussed by it and actually a bit miffed. Never mind eh.

What do we think of Burt Reynolds's role in Woody Allen's Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex But Were Afraid to Ask? I think it's great and a real highlight. What other great movies do you like? I like that bit in Airplane! with the inflatable pilot. How we all laughed. What's Bill Murray's best role? Caddyshack or Ghostbusters? What about Kingpin? Or one of his later team-ups with Wes Anderson?

Yeah, I found this a bit annoying. The overlords are just too good to talk about wrestling these days.

I love the way this thread was completely car-crashed. When I say "love", what I mean is that I'm completely non-plussed by it and actually a bit miffed. Never mind eh.

What do we think of Burt Reynolds's role in Woody Allen's Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex But Were Afraid to Ask? I think it's great and a real highlight. What other great movies do you like? I like that bit in Airplane! with the inflatable pilot. How we all laughed. What's Bill Murray's best role? Caddyshack or Ghostbusters? What about Kingpin? Or one of his later team-ups with Wes Anderson?

Yeah, I found this a bit annoying. The overlords are just too good to talk about wrestling these days.

Unclench your keester, Jerry. :)

Diversions in conversations happen in real life all the time, a single-themed message board should expect the occasional change in direction like this.

...also who are "the overlords"? New tag team you discovered on a Vancouver All Star Tape?

Good lord.

This thread was dead for 2.5 years. Wait, even before that there were issues. You posted it, and there were no responses for 12 days which led you to pulling the Kobashi Crying Spot:

So this topic was completely no sold. I suppose what I was looking for more than anything was for people to DESCRIBE each of the different territories.

[...]

Obviously, in time my intention is to watch as much footage as I can and to get all of the different sets, but since that's pretty much going to be a 10-year project, any help in helping me get a picture of the style and type of promotions each of these were would be much appreciated. This is the sort of thing you can't just look up, you know.

Which caused the thread to generate 7 post in the next day before it died for those 2.5 years. Which got twelve posts in a day and a half, 2 of which were over the word Bottler and a third was Will pointing out that he forgot Ross announced in Wattsville. Oh, and one of them opened with this gem:

I feel like I've completed a few diplomas in pro wrestling since making this thread more than two years ago.

So I made a movie reference to a movie reference brainfollower made, because I don't think most of is see 80s WWF as the Citizen Kane or Gone With The Wind of professional wrestling. To which in a follow up I explained why I used Smokey (a movie I actually like) as a counter-reference.

There was the chance for posters, if they chose, to run with that aspect: what really was the Kane or Gone With The Wind of 80s wrestling? What movie would JCP be? What would Mid South be? What would Jarrett & Lawlerland be? Etc.

Instead, folks liked talking about Burt and Sally...

Posted Image

"So this topic was completely no sold!"

-Warden Jerry Van Hazen

Posted Image

Actually, we created a forum where you guys can talk Cannonball Run all day long. Take that Burt Reynolds slurping over to the mostly forum.

I get annoyed when John starts talking sports/pron instead of talking the rasslin in wrestling threads. I get annoyed when you do it too Jerry. We all are here to have fun but when it gets to the point where the side topic is killing the thread topic, use your better judgment and take it to Mostly.

As for what movie would a wrestling promotion represent? Create the thread!!!

Also, I am the last guy you want critiquing announcers. I thought Watts always sounded too angry on air. Joel was horrible and I can forgive Boyd Pierce when he has brought me minutes of entertainment with those suits.

You know what that would have been a v silly point. Esp given how much of a flop Kane was at its time. Gone with the Wind I'd argue sort of fits because despite being the most popular movie of its time its central moral message (The Southern system, and by implication slavery was good) is even more disgusting as Hogan's 80's morality is now.

But Smokey and the Bandit did that ultimately alter the way movies were made? Did it change the genre in any appreciable way? Not really. I'd say a GOOD comparison (and I have to apologize for my original stupid comp) would be the Star Wars trilogy which pretty much changed movie making forever, buried low budget genre movies and brought us the era of the summer blockbuster (which seems to run about 10 months a year now but I digress).

Which I guess makes Jaws the WTBS Georgia show in that it paved the way for that.