Pro Wrestling Only

Legitimate badasses

marrklarr

Raymond Rougeau was not someone you'd want to mess with apparently.

Raymond Rougeau was an honest-to-goodness ass stomper? Wow! The guy looked like a youth pastor. See, I love finding out shit like that. Reminds me of the time I learned Dr. Ruth was a sniper for the Israeli army. Astonishing.

Bret Hart told in a shoot interview that Dynamite Kid would mess around with Jacques but didn't go after Raymond even when he was injured because he knew Ray was not a guy to be fucking with. Not to mention he was a smart guy too, getting out of the ring at 35 with his health and plenty of money.

I don't remember Bret telling the story like that. By all accounts (including Jacques) Dynamite said he was going to wait for Ray to heal, then slap him. It was an intimidation / bully thing. If Dynamite was that wary, he would have stopped messing with Jacques in fear of some form of reprisal from Ray.

As much as that incident is spoken about, I'm still confident that had Jacques not sucker punched Tom and came at him in somewhat of a more fair manner, Jacques would have been handled again. The fact that Jacques hit him full pelt in the face (with or without brass knucks / coins, depending on who you believe) and he still couldn't floor Tom, I think that's a pretty strong indicator things wouldn't have gone so well.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

I was talking with Matt Borne a few weeks before he passed away and we got to talking about Buzz Sawyer. Now Matt was a tough guy, and has beat up numerous wrestlers himself and not one to back down from a fight. He admitted that he and Buzz had a rep for being tough guys and even working rough with some guys. But Buzz and Matt did not always get along and the two got into a couple fights.

The most well known was a fight the two had on the side of the highway. Matt said Buzz was one of the toughest guys he ever met, and said that Buzz showed him how tough he was!

Don Jardine was also known as a tough guy, including beating up Stan Stasiak severly once. Word has it that if Peter Maivia & Gary Hart didn't pull him off he would have killed him.

Pretty much anyone from New Japan's dojo got quality training in shoot holds and general toughness. I mean, yeah Andre was nearly crippled by 1986, but would YOU go at him legit like Maeda did rather than just bailing and taking a countout loss? And Maeda might not have even been the most legit guy from the dojo over the years.

Also, 2 Cold Scorpio was not to be messed with.

New Jack with multiple "justifiable homicides" might take it.

I think Pillman was supposed to be a bad son of a bitch as well - obviously the famous story of backing down Sid in 91, but he pulled Brick Bronsky's eye out in a fight in Stampede and had a few fairly well witnessed altercations in Cinncinnati (including defending a drunk Brian Blados at a Bengals alumni banquet against several guys at once and coming out on top). Also heard it said that he called out Bill Kazmaier countless times back in the day.

• 7 months later...

Akira Hokuto - Aged 19, she broke her neck taking a botched Tombstone Piledriver in a 2/3 falls match, had her neck set during the intermission between falls and wrestled the rest of the match holding her neck in place with her hands..

Two years later she tore her knee open, tied a bandage around her leg, and got back into the ring. The match was called to an end because she couldn't physically wrestle with such an injury, but she still tried to!

Those AJW girls were tough as shit, there's numerous other examples out there, but Hokuto always cries badassery.

Akira Hokuto - Aged 19, she broke her neck taking a botched Tombstone Piledriver in a 2/3 falls match, had her neck set during the intermission between falls and wrestled the rest of the match holding her neck in place with her hands..

Two years later she tore her knee open, tied a bandage around her leg, and got back into the ring. The match was called to an end because she couldn't physically wrestle with such an injury, but she still tried to!

Those AJW girls were tough as shit, there's numerous other examples out there, but Hokuto always cries badassery.

This is a great pick. And I also loved that they did a broken arm as an angle (I don't know if it was "broken" or just severely injured in the storyline) during Hokuto-Kandori at Dreamslam to play off of her history.

Yes, but Hokuto sold it like it was severely injured and sold it in subsequent matches for at least a month. I always took that as her having a history of having worked through big injuries before and this being a time she has to gut it out and do it again, only the previous ones were not worked and this one was.