Photo

Tito Santana vs Rick Martel vs Ricky Steamboat

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Poll: Every Good Guy Has His Breaking Point (59 member(s) have cast votes)

Mexico vs Quebec vs Hawaii

1. Tito Santana (9 votes [15.25%])

Percentage of vote: 15.25%

2. Rick Martel (9 votes [15.25%])

Percentage of vote: 15.25%

3. Ricky Steamboat (41 votes [69.49%])

Percentage of vote: 69.49%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18956 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:38 AM

That's the only place that footage exists.

#42 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11328 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:42 AM

I've seen listings with the 77-8 stuff on it elsewhere and more than what Cornette has. shoe might be able to shed more light.

#43 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5774 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:49 AM

I don't know where the stuff was originally from. I watched it on YT. The Flair/Andre interaction is fun in that one match where Andre's the ref.

#44 fishbaugh

fishbaugh
  • Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:28 PM

Just finished watching Greg Valentine/Brutus Beefcake vs. Ricky Steamboat/Tito Santana (4/21/1985 - Toronto) and I can't think of a more pure babyface tag team in history than Steamboat/Tito in '85. This match was really just to progress the Tito vs. Valentine feud, with Tito finally locking the Figure Four on Greg to get the win, but it was still a blast. Hell, even Bruti bumps around well in this one! As for the poll, while Steamboat has more classic feuds and matches on his resume, and Martel is fresh in my mind from the AWA set, if I had to choose one of them to buy a comp of it'd be Tito without question. He is so good at fighting from the ground (his punches to the gut from his knees are great) and is really the personification of babyface "fire". Where other 80s babyfaces do the never-ending arm drag sequences, including going back to the arm drag even when the heel starts to cheapshot them to prove what great competitors they are, Tito is quick to mix it up and trade blows and act like a dude who fights for a living. That is obviously a personal preference on my part, but I like my babyfaces to act like badasses when pushed, and Tito has that about him in a way that Steamer and Martel just don't convey.

#45 shoe

shoe
  • Moderators
  • 9124 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:54 PM

I've seen listings with the 77-8 stuff on it elsewhere and more than what Cornette has. shoe might be able to shed more light.

It's the Garbage tapes. Their are like 14 matches out their. No full matches. The footage ranges from 5 to 17 minutes.

#46 claw64

claw64
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:08 PM

Steamboat and I don't think it's even close. I saw plenty of Martel and Santana in the AWA. Saw Tito's IC Title run. Saw Strike Force. Martel and Santana were actually better as a make shift tag team in the AWA than as we'll strike back with force. I view Steamboat as an elite worker. He could make me believe he was dead. Martel and Santana could not sell like Steamboat could. I'm not really knocking Martel or Santana. I like both of them. I just think Ricky Steamboat is among the best of the best.

#47 JazeUSA

JazeUSA
  • Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:09 PM

I went with Ricky Martel, to me if you take out Steamboats series with Flair & the wm3 match w/ Savage that he himself doesnt even like because he said they went over it for 12 hours the previous day I think Martels work out shines him, Martel had many, many solid/great performances in Montreal,  Portland, AWA, WWF, & even WCW, imo Santana doesn't even come close to either guy but I must admit Ive never seen any of his work except the stuff from the AWA set & his wwf stuff

#48 Jingus

Jingus
  • Members
  • 2583 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:08 AM

Steamboat and I don't think it's even close.

That's pretty much where I'm at too. With the disclaimer that I freely admit not having seen some of Tito's and most of Martel's best stuff.  I like Martel an awful lot, and need to see a hell of a lot more of his AWA stuff (and AWA in general) but he's not in Steamboat's league. Tito is a guy I've never understood the hype for.  Yes, he was pretty damn good; but he never personally clicked with me.  

#49 Johnny Sorrow

Johnny Sorrow
  • Members
  • 4529 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:53 PM

Tito was an awesome number two/ IC level good guy during Hogans first two years as Champ.

#50 Johnny Sorrow

Johnny Sorrow
  • Members
  • 4529 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:53 PM

Edit : dopey phone

#51 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10397 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:53 AM

It really wants you to say that Tony Garea is a better baby face than any of these guys.

#52 shoe

shoe
  • Moderators
  • 9124 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:16 AM

I went with Ricky Martel, to me if you take out Steamboats series with Flair & the wm3 match w/ Savage that he himself doesnt even like because he said they went over it for 12 hours the previous day I think Martels work out shines him, Martel had many, many solid/great performances in Montreal,  Portland, AWA, WWF, & even WCW, imo Santana doesn't even come close to either guy but I must admit Ive never seen any of his work except the stuff from the AWA set & his wwf stuff

Why would you take out 2 of Steamboat's most famous feuds? That makes no sense to me. That's akin to taking out Tito's Valentine feud and Martel 's series against Bock or Buddy Rose.

#53 Superstar Sleeze

Superstar Sleeze
  • Members
  • 3308 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:45 PM

I definitely shortchanged Steamboat. I do prefer Tito in selling but going and watching Steamboat/Jake & Steamboat/Savage. Had me questioning who is the best of these three.

I realize due to Wrestlemania III that Steamboat won't be forgotten but it wasn't until I really thought about it that I realized how remarkable his run was. He debuted around Mania I as basically number three babyface never was below that and was the definitive number two babyface by Mania III. Given the fact he was not good at promos and New York was a promo territory that's quite the accomplishment. Easy lock for top 50!

For a short tenure in the WWF (March, 1985-March, 1988), Ricky Steamboat had a big impact. Even though he was not a flashy promo, he was still booked at the top of the card throughout his run in New York. Taking the number three position immediately working with Tito Santana (number two babyface) and havign his first major feud with "Magnificent" Don Muraco & Mr. Fuji after the two hanged him. After establishing himself against Muraco, he worked a underrated program with the newly debuted Jake "The Snake" Roberts in summer of 1986 after Jake The Snake DDT'd him on concrete. This all led to the incredibly famous Macho Man feud in late 86, early 87 where he was unequivocably the number two babyface at the height of the WWF in the 80s. They had many great matches heading into the famous larnyx crushing angle, which is one of the best angles in wrestling history (masterful selling by Steamboat) and led to TWO of the greatest matches in WWF history in the form of their Toronto bloodbath in February and their technical marvel at Wrestlemania III. So in only three years, Steamboat had match of the year contenders in 85, 86 and 87 and was consistently a top drawing babyface and was hugely influential in how in-ring performance in the WWF.

http://ridingspacemo...oat-vs.html?m=1

http://ridingspacemo...amboat.html?m=1

http://ridingspacemo...at-wwf.html?m=1

http://ridingspacemo...savage.html?m=1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users