Pro Wrestling Only

Canons around the world

tim

Over at DVDVR I just read a Matt D post wondering if MS1/Chicana is a match luchadors would hold in their mind as something worth paying homage to. This got me wondering about what wrestlers/fans in different countries consider to be their "canonical" matches.

In the "mainstream" view of the American canon are matches like Steamboat/Flair, Steamboat/Savage, Bret/Austin, etc. Of course hardcore fans have their own canon including stuff from all around the world. What I'm interested in here is if any of our members living overseas, communicating frequently with foreign wrestling fans/people connected to wrestling, know what the fans and others involved in the business in Mexico or Japan consider to be the canonical matches in their own "bubble" -- or if they really have such a conception as we do.

Do Japanese wrestlers/wrestling fans revere the AJPW 90s classics the way we do or do they hold different matches in high esteem? Do Mexican fans and luchadors have particular matches that have become bywords for classic wrestling in the way we might talk about Steamboat/Flair or 6/9/95?