Pro Wrestling Only

Most boring wrestler of all time?

Mr. Lacelle

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen enough of Larry Zbyszko's prime stuff to have much of a stake in it but I will say in his defense that a few years ago when I still had ESPN Classics I caught a match on AWA against a jobber (don't recall his name) that went like 12+ min. and Larry made the schlep look like a million bucks.

My initial thought was (like a few others have posted) Dory Funk Jr. However, I realized two things: (a) his height was a generation me so that's one reason his style might not be my cup of tea (i'm sure watching Bull Hefmer and Everette Marshall go an hour in 1932 would also seem boring today) (B) when your brother is terry funk and has the charisma of 60 men, you're always going to seem exceptionally bland by comparison.

I can't go along with the HHH hate. Yes, there's certainly been some stinkers where he went WAY too long with guys (vs. Kevin Nash at Bad Blood 03 comes to mind) but there's a least of dozen matches of his that I love (San Jose RAW tag, cactus jack feud, batista feud, taker WM). You can credit his opponents with some uptick in quality and editing, but he's fine.

Even terrible musclehead wrestlers like Zeus or Ahmed Johnson (or freakshow Giant Gonzalez/Giant Khali/Raja Lion) can be fun to watch in that trainwreck cringeworthy way. (Side note: Wiki page on "tallest professional wrestlers" lists "Terrible Ted". Under notes it just reads, "bear". Love it.)

For me, a boring wrestler can be one of those bottom-of-the-card guys who I just can't find anything interesting to watch. More often that not, it seems like they're employed partially as a family favor. I'm talking about the Tiger Ali Singh, David Sammartino, Shawn Stasiak and Horace Hogans.

I like Terry Taylor more than most, but some would argue Terry Taylor. Remember, someone can be good and still be boring. Shane Douglas would be my other pick. If he knew how to make his point without going on and on for a half hour, maybe he wouldn't be so bad.

The Godwinns are boring.

I'm going to say Crush. He was a bland baby face, boring heel, and an uninspiring wrestler.

Was coming here to say this. He's a guy that really doesn't get enough credit for being as BAD as he was. Worse yet, he hung around for so many years without having a single memorable moment, match, move, gimmick, anything. Just devoid of anything interesting.

I like Terry Taylor more than most, but some would argue Terry Taylor. Remember, someone can be good and still be boring. Shane Douglas would be my other pick. If he knew how to make his point without going on and on for a half hour, maybe he wouldn't be so bad.

The Godwinns are boring.

I had thought of Shane Douglas earlier but immediately remembered how much I loved ECW Shane Douglas (vs. Taz guilty as charged 1999 or even Al Snow from Wrestlepoolza 1998) or even It's really post-ECW Shane Douglas in WCW that was just boring as hell. I'm probably the only Dennis Knight fan out there but that's just because Naked Mideon will always have a warm place in my heart for his title match against Regal (No Mercy 2000).

I'm going to say Crush. He was a bland baby face, boring heel, and an uninspiring wrestler.

Was coming here to say this. He's a guy that really doesn't get enough credit for being as BAD as he was. Worse yet, he hung around for so many years without having a single memorable moment, match, move, gimmick, anything. Just devoid of anything interesting.

Only thing I had was when Goldberg knocked himself out against KRONIK in the 10/25/00 WCW Thunder match.

Would it be more fair to discuss boring wrestlers within time periods? Like, I'll gladly accept that Larry Z had some decent stretches but his '86 AWA stuff has so much stalling and is so epicly dull.

The heel Rougeaus were pretty dreadful, despite how fun the initial promos were that set up the turn. Their heat segments are coma inducing. Endless chinlocks.

His 'Mania X match with Savage was really fun.

Sure, I suppose that would be the one memorable match of his career but I think most of the pleasure in that match was Savage being a rapid beast. I honestly don't remember Crush doing anything besides hanging from his feet at the end.

Warlord was really great in Survivor Series 90 vs Jannetty. At least he had moments. Crush isn't someone I can defend much but I will say that when the crowd was really into him in late 92, it was fun to watch the reaction he got at least.

I was 10 in '92 - I liked Kona Crush for a period. *shudder*

The topic of the title is most boring wrestler of all time. Not what wrestler has nothing to show on his resume. :)

I would throw Baron Sciluna up as a boring worker.

The topic of the title is most boring wrestler of all time. Not what wrestler has nothing to show on his resume. :)

I would throw Baron Sciluna up as a boring worker.

Isn't that in some ways one in the same though, he was so boring for such a long period of time that there's literally nothing memorable about anything he ever did in his career.

I understand the distinction you're trying to make but I do thing Crush/Adams is one of the most boring workers of all time, absolutely nothing exciting or interesting or really done well during any of his matches.