Pro Wrestling Only

Why I love the vertical suplex

JerryvonKramer

This is a fun discussion. Great topic, Parv.

More thoughts to add to this:

1. More so than any move I can think of, a superplex on TV, while impressive, generally isn't thought of as a game-ender in modern times. At live events, however, it is universally reacted to like absolute total destruction. Looks totally awe-inspiring to see in-person. This is extra apparent at smaller indy shows - both the visual and audio impact in the ring is such that the crowd is beside themselves if someone kicks out.

2. Having been on the receiving end of a few vertical suplexes in my announcing/ VERY limited masked wrestling career, you can also use a vertical suplex as a good judge of the training and experience of the recipient. It is a total mind screw, very disorienting and you can't see the mat prior to landing. Experienced wrestlers will generally do a great job of anticipating the whole sequence and positioning his/her legs and feet to hit safely upon landing. You also rely more on the the person performing the move to help guide more of the process. Speaking from (in)experience, hitting your feet wrong on a vertical suplex is quite a shock to the body.

Compare this to a bodyslam, which can generally be done/taught to even local radio DJs with ease - much more to visualize prior to finished execution and, if necessary, it's actually very easy to bodyslam yourself using the "giver" as a post to flip yourself.

3. Not sure if footage backs this theory up at all, but I've always hypothesized that the vertical suplex was the DDT of the 1970s. I remember seeing the finish to Harley Race's first World title win over Dory Funk Jr. in 1972 and was shocked to see he used a vertical suplex - a vertical suplex! - to finish Dory off.

In the mid 80s, Jake Roberts introduced the DDT to the mainstream and it was PURE DEATH! Jump to the late 90s....where half the WWF roster was using DDTs as mid-match moves. Did the vertical suplex follow a similar trajectory to becoming a staple of a standard moveset in the late 70s/early 80s?

I've always considered funny that the vertical suplex is considered "less" damaging than most other suplexes because it generally looks more devastating than most. Of course, the tall, Dibise-esque execution (using it to destroy Virgil at Summerslam 1992, for example) is much cooler to me than the quicker, not-quite snap suplex version.

The delayed vertical suplex elevates the vertical suplex -- which, recall, I said was about a 6 or a 7 intensity -- to a fully fledged high spot. It's arguably about a 9 or a 10 and can act as a finisher (see Race late 70s / early 80s). I think there's an argument to say that the delayed vertical suplex is the king of ALL suplexes. What other move creates a massive pause in the middle of a match? It's almost custom made for the camera to hover round and marvel at it before the moment of impact.

I came in to post about this. Didn't know it had an official name. It's a marvel of a move, especially in Davey Boy's hands.

• 4 months later...

Loved Parv's initial post. It's that kind of wrestling-as-a-story breakdown that has kept me continually coming to this board. You guys are fantastic.

Ass-kissing out of the way, I'd like to throw out some love for the German suplex. I always found it was an excellent storytelling device because since the receiver of the move was essentially caught from behind it allows for all sorts of "oh shit!" frantic hand-waving/escape desperation before it's even delivered. It's one of the rare big moves in wrestling where a guy can tell he's about to be hit with it and really can do little to prevent it. Too many other moves (a standard suplex or a DDT, to name two) require the recipient's head/face to be obscured before it's actually delivered, or worse, require the recipient to *pretend* he can't tell what's about to come. Nothing takes me out of a match more than a guy standing around like a dolt waiting for his opponent to come off the ropes onto him because the guy delivering the move has to get his hand signals in first. By the time he launches himself the other guy should be wise to what's coming and just step out of the way. With the German suplex you get that "I GOTCHA!" moment before the move is performed. The fact that it ends in a bump landing on the upper-back/back of the head/eck is like a delicious bonus.