Pro Wrestling Only

[2005-05-07-ROH-Manhattan Mayhem] Samoa Joe vs Jay Lethal

Loss

• 2 years later...

Pure Title Match

Jay Lethal vs. Samoa Joe
The very good matches come to a screeching halt here. Instead, we got our first great match for the evening.
I absolutely LOVED the story of this match. Earlier in the evening, Lethal met Joe in the ring and was praising his mentor. Joe insulted him for being sentimental and not understanding that this match and moment was about business and being the Pure Champion. This caused Lethal to throw the sportsmanship out the window and pieface Joe, telling the former ROH Champ not to be looking past him.
Lethal indeed brought his working boots to this match; this seriously might be the best match of his career. He took his beating from Joe, but showed how far he had come in the span of a year, surprising Joe with just how much expertise he had acquired. There was one submission that I have no fucking clue the name for, but it was just beautiful: Lethal was on his back with Joe on top of him, but he had his legs stretching out the shoulders of Joe. Really amazing submission move that also had to soften Joe for Lethal's Dragon Suplex finisher.
But despite the match against Low Ki several months before, Lethal had never faced an opponent that was as physical as Samoa Joe. With that said though, Joe's physical style, including his habits of throwing punches, did cost him a rope break. But with the match getting so physical, borderline chippy, Lethal found himself throwing receipt punches and got penalized a rope break too. Despite Joe not being completely familiar with the Pure Title rules, his experience at the top and his style were too much for Lethal, winning his second championship in the company. These two blew the roof off of the New Yorker Hotel with their tremendous wrestling and brutal physicality.
Post-match, the Rottweilers show up to raise hell in what is just an awesome moment that only intensified an already hot crowd. They beat the shit out of Joe & Lethal, with the returning Low Ki admitting that he was the one that mugged Lethal behind the scenes a couple months back at Trios Tournament in a moment I had forgotten to acknowledge. I really do miss narcissistic Low Ki.
Rating: ****

• GSR changed the title to [2005-05-07-ROH-Manhattan Mayhem] Samoa Joe vs Jay Lethal