Pro Wrestling Only

[2005-06-11-IWA-MS-Something To Prove] Samoa Joe vs Necro Butcher

Loss

• 1 year later...

Wow, the pinnacle of scummy wrestling. This was a bloodbath and I'd say it's probably my favorite straight up brawl ever. I can't wrap my head around the beating that Necro took. It's hard to watch, but it made for some great visuals. I'm torn in two deciding if this match had great punches just on the fact that they didn't look worked at all. Ah well, who cares? I was extremely entertained either way.

★★★★¾

• 8 months later...

Just finished rewatching this and it's still incredible. I also forgot how sympathetic Necro really came off from this trying to survive Joe's onslaught. I think running this back to back to back with Joe/Balor II (mainly for the opening minutes) and LA Park/Rush made me a wrestling fan again after not really watching anything the last two years.

• 10 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [2005-06-11-IWA-MS-Something To Prove] Samoa Joe vs Necro Butcher
  • 6 months later...

Samoa Joe vs Necro Butcher - IWA-MidSouth 6/11/05

A very famous violent bloodbath that totally lives up to the hype. I am like 95% sure I have seen a Necro Butcher match live in Ring Of Honor in like 2009, but other than that I have never seen a Butcher match. Joe is a great asskicker and Butcher can sure take an asskicking so this makes for a match made in heaven or should I say Hell? There is bleeding hardway from headbutts, there are chair throws, there is a powerslam on Necro's forehead, yes forehead, CM Punk and I are incredulous. Oh by the way, the worst part of this match by far is the commentary. Eddie Kingston is fine. CM Punk's smarky commentary is bad. The most brutal part is Dave Prazak. You know what's worse than Joey Styles, a Joey Styles tribute act, Goddamn you Prazak you fucking blew in this match. Back to the match, the punches were incredible in this match. Rapid fire and stiff as fuck. The Holy Shit Spot for me in this match was when Joe spiked him on his busted open head from the apron to the floor on an exploder. That was fucking crazy. Dave Prazak fucking sucks in this match. The powerbomb on the railing was pretty nuts and one foot cover with bicep flex, but only a two. Wow! German Suplex on the chair! Necro Butcher is Mick Foley nuts! Necro's big comeback with these punches was incredible. Great punches and then Joe just unleashes the most brutal flurry of kneelifts. He nearly takes off his head and then kicks his head straight off for the KO victory. Total asskicker of a match! ****1/2

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Naturally seen this many times, and even though I usually reject the "what's left to say about _X_?" way of thinking, I doubt I can add much to fifteen years of talk about this thing. I will say that despite having seen it enough times, I hadn't seen it for a while, so I forgot exactly how many times Necro was slammed directly on his forehead. Every awesome, desperate rain of blows he threw at Joe I half-wondered (and half-worried) he'd eat another one. The powerbomb on the guardrail, while it was set up on the ropes, was grosser than I remembered too; Necro's neck looked to snap back because Joe kind of aimed it so his shoulders hit it while his back hit air. Necro started to bleed early from shoot headbutts and probably just bladed twice more anyway to get the visuals. Small shout out to Joe actually getting a concerned look on his face after a couple kick outs. The stars aligned for this one.

I remember thinking the tag match Necro had the same night was the best CZW match I've seen, and considering this is most certainly the best IWA-MS match I've seen (I've argued for Necro/Klein as better before, but probably wouldn't now), that's an all timer of a night for one guy.

• 1 year later...