Pro Wrestling Only

[2009-03-01-NOAH-Second Navigation] Takashi Sugiura & Go Shiozaki vs Shinsuke Nakamura & Milano Collection A.T.

Loss

• 5 months later...

Both good and bad stuff here. Nakamura and Milano make for a fun non-standard NOAH match. They work over Shiozaki's leg after the opening stuff, then Nakamura inexplicably stops attacking the leg to let Shiozaki win a strike exchange. The leg is never attacked again, but Shiozaki sells it for a little while to his credit. They work a nice transition into a good finishing run. Nakamura was mostly good, but he's starting to seem a bit like KENTA. No matter how the early match goes, we're doing the finishing sequence with the same big spots and teases. I really don't like that about Japan in the 2000s that the finish always had to have a lot of nearfalls off of big moves, strikes and suplexes without any real thought given to how the first 15-25 minutes of the match went. This was a really well-worked finish, Shiozaki and Milano shine particularly. I'd call Milano MVP of the match for the way he kept interjecting his chickenshit heel act into the macho pissing contest-fueled NOAH matches.

• 2 months later...

Go Shiozaki & Takahashi Sugiura vs Shinsuke Nakamura & Milano Collection AT - NOAH 3/01/09

Why has Milano Collection AT not been in more nominated matches? I thought the awesomeness began and ended that he walked an imaginary dog to the ring, but this match not only proved he was a great wrestler, but one who could be the driving force behind what might be the MOTY for 2009 in Japan. Not to heap all the credit on Milano, Go Shiozaki looked best he has since his great performances with Kobashi in 2009. Of course, the big difference here was that he was expected to be the senior member of his team and he delivered in spades. I would not say I am seeing next generation ace, but he is definitely a talented wrestler and a boon to any roster. I loved his ability to fight from underneath and be scrappy. So many babyfaces are just dying on me. It makes their comebacks look incredulous. Shiozaki looked like he was fighting through some serious pain but firing off some wicked chops sometimes even from the ground. I loved that sense of struggle from Shiozaki. Overall the whole match had way more heat than the Dome NOAH vs New Japan match. Nakamaura and Milano were in full heel mode and Shiozaki & Sugiura are great at delivering punishment to these dick heels. Milano really got going early with some great fundamentals presisng the advantage inherited from Nakamura by establishing arm work on Sugiura. When Shiozaki tagged in, I loved how Mlano did not just roll over for him so when Shiozaki got that first shoulderblock it felt big. Then the fun began! Milano did a log roll the length of the ring to esacape the hard-hitting Shiozak. He then goaded Shiozaki to the outside only to roll back into the ring. He then kicked the ropes into his leg as he was getting in. The coup d'grace is he hogtied his legs and arms together around the ropes. I was amazed at how awesome and innovative that was. I am usually someone who shies away from innovative, Milano had at least a half dozen spots I had never seen before and were all awesome. Nakamura and Milano did some very good basic leg work on Shiozaki using the railing, kicks and submission holds to control him. The beauty was Shiozaki's selling and that ability to express fighting through pain in a credible fashion. It some of the best selling I have seen in a while. This middle portion is where they lose me for a bit before the badass finish run. Nakamura inexplicably lets up on the knee, which allows Shiozaki to chop his way out of trouble. Sugiura is actually best utilized as a hot tag as it plays to his energetic strengths. I loved the look on Milano's face as he was being bullrushed away from Nakamura. They get a little suplex happy, but once Shiozaki tags in the match elevates to the next level. Shiozaki chops the fuck out of Nakamura, but gets trapped in a flash triangle -> cross-armbreaker!!! Sugiura saves in a ncie bacllback to the Dome. The best part of this all is Shiozaki just cant seem to get his hands on that elusive Milano who is full splitting, back bending, putting ref on top of him his way out of trouble. Each spot is unique and it is infuriating because you just want Shiozaki to take this little punk's head off. Milano backslide -> 2! O thank God! Lariat, whiffs, damn back bend. Falling chop and he rolls out of the way. Just. Stay. Still! Milano inside cradle roll through into a GO BRAINBUSTER! LARIAT! FINALLY!!! Awesome build to a very satisfying conclusion.

I feel like I have been beating a dead horse complaining about all these matches that have great opening and disjointed finishes that torpedo the match. This is how you build to a sweet climax. Shiozaki falls prey to Milano's underhanded tactics and is fighting out of a hole. Then he can't get his hands on him, but when he does I was popping five years after the fact in America. That is power. That is pro wrestling, BABY! If you are not believer in Shiozaki, watch this. I imagine this is Milano's career performance and what a great performance. Nakamura and Sugiura are along for the ride and have their best match of the 00s. Basically, Shiozaki and Milano wrestled a singles match and it was killer. ****1/2

• GSR changed the title to [2009-03-01-NOAH-Second Navigation] Takashi Sugiura & Go Shiozaki vs Shinsuke Nakamura & Milano Collection A.T.