Pro Wrestling Only

[2009-09-05-Michinoku Pro] Fujita Jr Hayato vs Ou Kobushi

Loss

• 4 months later...

I remember the first match being refreshingly simple and it was, but it also felt really long on my last viewing. I thought it would be a junior MOTDC but it didn't really hold up as being at that level. I still loved the selling, the simple striking sequences, the lack of overkill in the finishing stretch, and the more conservative than usual fighting spirit spots. The rematch is almost at a similar level but I felt like it had a weaker structure than the original and that's what keeps it a step below it.

• 1 month later...

This was a really, really good match from start to finish. They do some worked kickboxing that morphs into pro wrestling. Kobushi does some excellent work on Hayato's ribs. Hayato repays that when he gets back on offense. The finishing sequence is very similar to the early match, simple stuff, lots of striking, mostly slow-paced with occasional bursts. I thought it was just a little long given the last few kickouts, but given that Hayato's last two matches I've watched were at least 5 minutes longer this was an improvement. The finish having nothing to do with the rib work was disappointing, but it wasn't a bad finish. Should be somewhere on the lower half of my ballot.

• 3 months later...

Tohoku Junior Heavyweight Champion Fujita Jr Hayato vs Ou Kobushi - Michinoku Pro 9/5/09

Hayato is consistently best midsection seller I have ever seen. I have seen better one off performances (Akiyama in 2003 against Tenzan comes to mind), but Hayato has knocked it out of the park at two occasions and even in Kanemoto registered it really well. I liked Kobushi as a Hayato opponent because he could match Hayato strike for strike, but was a little bigger so he was a great opponent to allow Hayato to work underneath, which seems to be what he prefers. Is Hayato a babyface in M-Pro? He seems to have an asshole demeanor, but seems to be cheered even against guys like Sasuke, which surprised me. He does have a Stone Cold vibe to him so maybe that is it.

I loved the tentative beginning with neither fully committing to strikes or takedowns for fear of making a mistake. Hayato gets a sleeper/chinlock, but as he tries to run the ropes Kobushi meets him with a wicked knee lift. I love how something so simple was exposed as such a big risk. Running from your opponent to build up momentum is usually taken for granted, but here it was a risky maneuver and Kobushi made him pay. The heat segment is excellent synergy. Kobushi attacks the ribs with pinpoint accuracy and Hayato is writhing in pain. Hayato tries to escape but Kobushi is a rib-seeking missile with his double stomps. I loved how Hayato would spill to the outside.

I was not too enamored with the transition out with Hayato just powering up and Kobushi allowing himself to trade kicks with him. Hayato big knee into ropes and a huge spear. I would have liked a more abrupt transition where Hayato throws a wild kick to the head and it lands. Hayato goes suplexes crazy. I know you had to do something here to have Hayato not look he was going to die, but seemed pretty artificial. Hayato's control segments against Kobushi and Yoshitune are not as good because they are letting moves happen to them where as vets like Kanemoto and Sasuke know how to take a move without feeling like it is an exhibition. The match is back on track with a great roundhouse kick to the ribs cutoff. Kobushi double knees in the corner and a top rope double stomp. Kobushi applies the best Camel Clutch after that really looks he is yanking and Hayato sells it well. It was probably the most drama-filled Camel Clutch in history. Kobushi hits a dragon suplex, but cant get the two.

Kobushi lets Hayato up and here come the fighting spirit kicks. Shaking my head. Hayato hits a German, a kick to the head and applies his signature guillotine choke, but nada. His uppercut knee does NOT get it down, well I think I know who is winning now. The best transition is Kobushi catching a head kick and hitting one of his own. Hayato is struggling to get to his feet. Kobushi hits one of the greatest Germans of all time as he just rag dolls Hayato and one more kick to head gives him the victory by KO.

There are some flaws in the transitions, but overall this is a great match. Hayato is a champion of early match selling and he also sells exhaustion well. The Camel Clutch was a great way to exploit the midsection work. Hayato needed to go for his big weapons: choke and uppercut knee and when those failed you knew Kobushi would not be denied. I loved how Kobushi finished with knockout blows. It is a really exciting way to finish. Hayato is four for four in terms of great matches and making my top 100. ****

• GSR changed the title to [2009-09-05-Michinoku Pro] Fujita Jr Hayato vs Ou Kobushi