Pro Wrestling Only

[2010-04-18-TNA-Lockdown] Kurt Angle vs Mr Anderson (Cage)

Loss

• GSR changed the title to [2010-04-18-TNA-Lockdown] Kurt Angle vs Mr Anderson (Cage)
  • 4 months later...

This one felt very standard TNA cage match for the first stretch, but in the back half, they really upped the bump level (although the moonsault from the cage is sort of expected from Angle by that point) as well as the intensity level. Liked both guys deciding to come back for more, and the way the match turned on those moments. The choke out at the end seemed like it may have been a bit of excess (the announcers didn't really tell a story that led me to think the feud was at that level), but it was certainly a good pay off to the escalation of the violence and one-upsmanship of the match.

• 1 year later...

I agree you the story, announcers, and the beginning dont really justify the intensity and violence of the latter stages of the match but the latter stages are a welcomed sight to see in a Kurt Angle match. 

Kurt Angle vs Mr. Anderson - TNA Lockdown 2010

I don't know what it is about Angle and Lockdown, but he tends to bring his best inside the Steel Cage. Either Mr. Anderson has a nasty shiner or he is into wearing eyeliner, which I am not opposed to as a big glam metalhead. Anderson is doing his "I am an asshole" gimmick. I guess he disrespected the military in the buildup and known patriot Angle took umbrage with this. 

The wrinkle of this match is you can only leave through the door and Anderson won the right to have the key. Anderson makes the obvious mistake of going for the door way too early, he hit one dropkick to the knee. After two premature attempts, the key ends up lodged in the lock and now the playing field is level. Well there goes one plot device. Ok lets move onto the next one. Anderson drives Angle's head into the cage. They get some good shots of this. There's some meander back & forth. They ratchet up the violence when Anderson chokes Angle out with tape very convincingly. This is the first time the match really feels great. This match has quite the rep in spite of the two wrestlers in this. The tape choke out was their best spot. It was one of the most credible versions I have ever seen of the spot and it was enhanced by Angle struggle combined with his open wound meant more blood flowing. Angle goes on a tear with lots of suplexes. Anderson gets a hope spot with the Somersault Samoan Drop but cant get the Mic Check (a truly terrible finish, he sweeps the legs the wrong way). Angle nails 6 suplexes and really takes his time to milk it. 

Then they do the whole Angle has it won multiple times but decides he has not punished Anderson enough. I dont really see how this has been warranted. I would have liked to see Anderson be more of a little shit, eyerakes, taunts, ballshots, spitting and choking (ok he did the last thing). What makes me really want to see Anderson get his just desserts. The first iteration leads to AngleLock but Anderson whips him into the Cage. Mic Check. Anderson goes for it and Angle hits the Olympic Slam. This time Angle throws away the key into the crowd and as if to say he does not care to win, he is hear to beat the shit out of Anderson, which is a surprisingly effective moment even though the story does not warrant it. This is when Angle goes all out with the two big highspots of the match: German Suplex off the Top Rope and the Moonsault off the cage. Anderson has balls of steel taking that spot. That was fucking crazy! He landed on his fucking face! That was insane! Now for a third time, Angle has the match won but looks back and Anderson flips off Angle. This defiance is enough for Angle to know he needs to dish out more punishment. I feel like Anderson's character work is the main flaw of the match. It is too neutral throughout but then shows flashes. It creates for inconsistency and the big moments to be not as hot. Anderson low blows him, where was that earlier!?! Angle gets back up and chokes him out with a chain and that was great payback for the best part of the match. Then triumphantly stomps on his balls as he walks out for the win. 

This is a great match that could have been match of the decade contender if Anderson was a stronger character. I think this is one of Angle's best individual performances. He was strong, violent asskicker hellbent on punishing Anderson and his usual workrate-centric self. I just wish Anderson matched him either in intensity or cowardice one way or the other. Really strong steel cage match. ****1/4