Pro Wrestling Only

[2011-08-14-NJPW-G1 Climax] Minoru Suzuki vs Shinsuke Nakamura

Loss

• 4 years later...

Shinsuke Nakamura vs Minoru Suzuki - NJPW G-1 Climax 8/14/11

G-1 Climax 2011 was the first sign of life to come of New Japan being the workrate powerhouse of the globe to fill the void left by the demise of NOAH/King's Road. If you look at Ditch's Best of for 2011 it is littered with New Japan matches and from the G-1 Climax. New Japan would of course explode in 2012 with Tanahashi vs Okada taking center stage. This is a semi-finals match. The winner wins the Block and advances to the finals. 

I thought this did a great job telling the story of "he who hesitates is lost". The counters were fast and furious and if you didnt keep your foot on the gas pedal than your opponent would take the advantage. Nakamura had Suzuki up against the ropes with some knees and he left him to go work up a head of steam and Suzuki exploded out with a kneelift of his own. Great heat segment on the outside. Lots of railings and even classic American stuff like Suzuki distracting the ref and having his goon beat up Nakamura. Suzuki lets up on the gas and starts to get cocky in the ring and Nakamura launches a salvo of kneelifts. He then KO Punches the goon on the apron, but he admires his handiwork for too long as Suzuki sneaks up with a rear naked choke. Then it is Suzuki who makes the mistake of charging Nakamura and eating a kneelift. Then ending stretch is a great barrage of counters. Suzuki is the man. I love how he sold the palm strike exchange and how he sold that one big Nakamura punch. I love how because Nakamura telegraphed the Boma Ye Knee, Suzuki avoided it and ended up hitting his own. I love how Suzuki goads Nakamura into punching him again, but Suzuki ducks and then  goes for the choke to set up the piledriver, but Nakamura is countering the piledriver. Next thing you know Nakamura has him in a flying cross armbreaker, but Suzuki tries to counter BOMA YE! OUT OF NOWHERE! 1-2-3! I love how sudden this was. They were just jockeying and it was anybody's ballgame. It also played into the story that you couldnt telegraph anything. Everything had to be sudden. Amazing display of counterwrestling and quick wrestling. ****1/2  

• GSR changed the title to [2011-08-14-NJPW-G1 Climax] Minoru Suzuki vs Shinsuke Nakamura