Pro Wrestling Only

[1981-03-21-WWF-Philadelphia, PA] Bob Backlund vs Sgt. Slaughter (Cage)

Loss

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

WWF World Heavyweight Champion Bob Backlund vs Sgt. Slaughter - WWF, Philly 3/21/81, Steel Cage Match

"He hit him where he lives and where he loves." - Kal Rudman on when Slaughter punches him in the testicles.

For my money, the best WWF steel cage match of the 1980s, but it is close. It is a perfect combination of bumps and violence. Backlund at avoiding moves to elicit a big pop. Slaughter smashes his hand and head into the steel cage because Backlund ducks. Backlund throws Slaughter into the cage a couple times and Slaughter really launches himself into the cage. Kal's bloodlust is working in overdrive during this match as he eagerly awaits the bloodletting of Sarge. Slaughter after getting his ass kicked goes low and then inverted atomic drop on the balls. He throws Backlund shoulder first into the cage twice. Dick lets us know that Backlud shoulder was injured by Hansen at MSG. Backlund shows great wherewithal always grabbing Sarge's foot before Slaughter can exit via the door. BACKLUND PILEDRIVER! Here comes a classic Titans of Wrestling line about pablum, which was a classic Johnny Sorrow/Parv interaction. Backlund tries to climb out, but Slaughter is able to yank him down. Slaughter tries to climb the cage himself so Backlund gets some payback and smashes Slaughter's balls. Both men are down and to quote Kal Rudman, They are on Weird Street! Again Slaughter tries to exit the door and Backlund is able to stop him by grabbing the foot. BIG SLAUGHTER BUMP OVER THE TURNBUCKLES INTO CAGE! Kal's bloodlust is revving up. Backlund is teeing off on Slaughter's head and throwing him into the cage. Kal cant believe there is no blood. It is only a matter of time, Kal says, Backlund with big hammer punches on Sarge. Kal is so excited when the blood gushes and even says he is working on the cut. That's exactly what I was going to say! Slaughter backs him into the corner and Backlund moves as Sarge rames his head into the post on a mistimed shoulderblock. LOVE IT! Backlund rakes Sarge's face on the steel. THAT IS BLOOD! Kal exclaims. Backlund's awesome punches are on full display here. He punches Slaughter so hard he falls to the door. This is the best escape struggle. He slams Slaughter's head into the steel doorframe. OW! We get a closeup of Sarge's fingers on the door and then Backlund stomps those fingers on the steel! OUCH! Awesome! Slaughter goes back to work on the nuts of Bob Backlund because that is his only offense. There is a quick cut in my version. Backlund slams Slaughter's head into top of cage. Backlund triumphantly parades out to a roaring crowd.

The cut hurts the finish and makes it feel a little lackluster. This was a great Backlund asskicking. As with most Backlund matches, I do wish we get some more heat on Backlund, but after the January match you wanted to see Backlund kick the shit out of him and that's what you got. Sarge took some awesome, awesome bumps. Classic steel cage match. ****1/2

• 1 year later...

Oh man, how to work a WWF style cage match 101. There are so many things I love about this match. Backlund's punches, Slaughter's selling, and the just how violent and real this felt. The crowd was on the edge of their seat the entire time. Backlund hit an awesome piledriver. That was such a cool camera shot of the close up of Slaughter's hand slipping from the door. Towards the end when Backlund knocks Slaughter off the top, I love how he fell with his leg caught in the turnbuckle/ropes. Every moment of this was pure excitement, and it was so real. In my world it's classic. I'd say around ****3/4 for me if I had to put a rating on it. Oh yeah, and I also loved Slaughter punching the cage and the way he sold that. I must have missed the clipping? I might have to watch it again... I doubt I saw a different version than Sleeze.

• GSR changed the title to [1981-03-21-WWF-Philadelphia, PA] Bob Backlund vs Sgt. Slaughter (Cage)
  • 2 years later...

I've never been a fan of the escape-only cage matches, but I'd make an exception for this! Slaughter and Backlund are pros at milking the escape teases. Backlund had Slaughter's leg hanging on by a thread as he tried to leave via the door and you could cut the tension with a knife!  The pace of this never let down and the crowd was nuclear-hot the entire 15 minutes that this bloodbath lasted. Nobody takes a turnbuckle bump as well as Slaughter does and that whip reversal he takes face-first into the cage also served as a great transition for Backlund to begin his ass-kicking segment. Slaughter's not here to fight and just wants to escape the cage and win the match. I love him using his last bit of strength to lunge himself to the door as Backlund was pounding on his bloody head. I can't name you a cage match that I've enjoyed more than this one! ★★★★★

• 6 months later...

After Slaughter ran away last month, this was the perfect stipulation for this feud. This felt absolutely huge as well. For all the talk that this match was built for Bruno Sammartino, Backlund pretty much perfected the style of match intended. Slaughter’s sole intent was to escape and cheaply win the WWF title by escaping the cage without engaging Backlund first but Backlund wouldn’t have it. Slaughter had to beat Backlund down but it was never enough for him to get a chance to escape. Slaughter took every chance he could find to escape, whether it be through the door or over the time but Backlund would hang on to the boots or, at one point, low blow Slaughter. Whatever it took. I once praised Orton’s performance against Batsita in their 2009 Steel Cage match for committing to escaping but Slaughter blew it out of the water. He’s brilliant in this. Bumps, selling, character work. Everything. He’s hanging onto the edge of the cage door, hanging sideways as Backlund pulls at him, like his life depends on it. He’s just sublime. As is this match. Excellence at every degree. And the finish was just so good. Slaughter and Backlund are punching each other on the top of the cage when one of Backlund’s punches - a peach of a punch at that - and a slam into the top of the cage, sends Slaughter down, typing his legs in the ropes, allowing Backlund to triumphantly exit the cage. Holy cow! This felt like a Rocky Movie. ****3/4