Pro Wrestling Only

[1981-09-21-WWF-MSG, NY] Bob Backlund vs Don Muraco (Texas Death)

Loss

• 2 years later...

WWF Heavyweight Champion Bob Backlund vs Don Muraco - WWF MSG 9/21/81 Texas Death Match

I can see why people do not really care for this match, but I did enjoy it for it was. Yes, this did not need the Texas Death stipulation as this was not the all-out, balls to the wall brawl of the Patera match. Backlund's arm work does get long in the tooth. However, I still think this was a solidly great body part psychology match with a hot finish. With the couple reviews I have read, I agree what this match needed more than anything was to be 10-15 minute shorter.

Backlund and Muraco try to get this started hot with punches, but I just did not believe them. Muraco takes over on offense with a whiffed clothesline; I think Backlund fell a little too early. I actually thought Muraco was pretty damn good on top for ten minutes. That was the part I was dreading the most. He wrenched the chinlock he had. the front facelock was not egregiously long. The best part was the midsection work. He was a beast stomping Backlund, standing on him, double stomping, ab stretch. Backlund was great at selling this gasping for breath and doubling over. He was fightback and Muraco was just throw big time blows to the midsection. It was really good stuff. Muraco rams his shoulder hard into the post when he wanted charge into the midsection. Backlund goes to town with armbar, boot rakes the face and NASTY elbow to the bridge of the nose. Muraco pussies out of the piledriver. Backlund's arm work is great; it just goes on forever. There are ton of great spots he incorporates and it is really well worked. Muraco sells well and is fighting back too. It could have been about 5 minutes shorter. It never felt like it was going anywhere even if it was technically great and entertaining.

The finish run is very dramatic and is what really the entire match should have been. Backlund hits his big Atomic Drop, but Muraco ends up on the outside and Backlund lunges at him from the ring with a headbutt. Muraco grabs a chair and jabs it in his throat. Backlund is coughing and has spit on his lips. One of the all time great I cant breath selling. Of course, this sets up for the Muraco Double Thumb Asiatic Spike, which he uses liberally. Things do not look good for the champ as he collapsed on the outside. Backlund is an underrated seller. Big Asiatic Spike on the apron sends Backlund flying over the railing! Muraco goes out after him and punches him in the crowd. Fantastic. Backlund falls into the ring out of instinct and Muraco looks to suck the life force out of him with the Asiatic Spike. Backlund is firing up and BIG BACKLUND SUPLEX!!! I would have popped huge if I was in the crowd for that. Backlund cant capitalize. Muraco covers Backlund! As Jesse would say that's just depressing as hell. MURACO TOMBSTONE! MURACO SUPERFLY SPLASH! VERTICAL SUPLEX! He is pouring it on. Im loving this. Muraco goes for the Butterfly Suplex and Backlund deadlifts him from this position backdrops him out to cover to win the match to a huge pop! WAIT! There is controversy as Muraco clearly had his foot on the rope, but cant leave it up to chances, bud, need to kick out. Nice way to protect the IC Champ.

Awesome finish stretch, Muraco & Backlund control segments were entertaining and technically proficient just did not really go anywhere and Backlund armwork was way too long. Easily, a safely great match, but needed an editor. ****

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1981-09-21-WWF New York, MSG] Bob Backlund vs Don Muraco (Texas Death Match)
  • GSR changed the title to [1981-09-21-WWF-MSG, NY] Bob Backlund vs Don Muraco (Texas Death)