Pro Wrestling Only

Rey Misterio Jr v Jamie Noble

Loss

Rey Misterio Jr v Jamie Noble - WWE Velocity 05/01/04

Finding this match in itself is very WCW-ish in nature, as that was a company of countless hidden gems, and this plays exactly like it would be one of those gems. This is the best I've seen from Noble in WWE, and it's a sign of what he could have accomplished in his first run if his matches were given more time to develop. He's great here; both are, actually. The match starts off with some really spirited matwork with neither guy able to gain an advantage and they do a terrific job of breaking up the matwork with some awesome highspots to maintain the heat. They do such a good job in that area that my favorite moment of the match occurs when Rey goes back to the headlock and it gets a big pop. It's rare in WWE that anyone gets a pop for going to the mat.

Noble seems to be challenging Regal here, doing so many small things so well that it's easy to not catch them all. The way he uses his entire body to his advantage is beautiful. Rey's kicks are a thing of beauty too, as he seems to have channeled the angry spirit of Taijiri into his already stellar offense. In a really cool spot, Noble turns a springboard attempt into a Northern Lights suplex and he even teases a Tiger Bomb before Rey gets out of it. This is about as WCW-style a match as you'll see in WWE between two juniors, with all the stops being pulled out and the match logically progressing throughout. Worth going out of your way to see.

***3/4

Guest Real F'n Show

I remember watching this on TV and immediately wishing I had taped it after it was over. Rey brings some awesome kicks in this match that he had just recently added to his moveset and Noble really holds the match together and shows why he is so great. I loved the roll through of the crossbody into the cross armbreaker, too. Fantastic match, too bad a lot of people haven't seen it.