Pro Wrestling Only

[1980-09-04-AJPW] Harley Race vs Giant Baba

Loss

• 2 years later...

I just watched this, and will give a fuller review for the Roll the Dice project I'm watching, but this match just felt awful to me. I've never seen Baba in singles before I don't think, but this doesn't exactly inspire me to watch any more. Race tries to make this match work, but it is wrestled at a glacial pace at times. The myriad number of one counts don't help to build any tension whatsoever, and the finish comes out of nowhere. Awful.

• 5 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1980-09-04-AJPW] Harley Race vs Giant Baba
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

1980-09-03
AJPW
Harley Race (c) vs. Giant Baba
NWA World Heavyweight Title Match
Saga Sports Center, Saga, Japan
Card
★★

Baba really came to play here, but that should be to be expected when you’re challenging for the World’s Title. His offense hasn’t looked better at any point throughout 1980. His chops had some zip and all of his strikes felt like they carried weight and had some impact. The issue comes from the pacing, which is glacial, and Race working underneath for what feels like 90% of the match. They go and go and Baba is getting pin attempt after pin attempt that you don’t buy as match winners, until finally he hits a running neckbreaker drop (which did look amazing) for the win. The crowd went crazy and you can see just before Joe counts the 3 he hesitates slightly and the crowd can sense it but they don’t believe it, Baba was actually going to win - a beautiful moment.
Looking at the big picture, I think this was more a failing in execution than in structure. They kind of went for all the right things but it didn’t come together in a truly satisfying way. But Baba got his big win and delivered his best performance of the year to achieve it.