Pro Wrestling Only

[1980-10-03-AWA-Winnipeg, MB] Greg Gagne & Super Destroyer Mark II vs Nick Bockwinkel & Bobby Heenan

Loss

• GSR changed the title to [1980-10-03-AWA-Winnipeg, MB] Greg Gagne & Super Destroyer Mark II vs Nick Bockwinkel & Bobby Heenan
  • 4 years later...

1980-10-03
AWA
Bobby Heenan & Nick Bockwinkel vs. Greg Gagne & The Super Destroyer Mark II
Winnipeg Arena, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
★★★
Card

Seems like the Weasel Suit angle was still going strong as Bock and Heenan refused to wrestle with the stipulation on the match, even if it risked a suspension. The promoter ended up lifting the stipulation to get the match going.
The tag matches in the AWA feel far closer to the ones you’d find in Portland than to any other promotion. They always seem to have that extended shine sequence and the faces utilise referee distractions to a far greater degree than, for example, any tag matches in WWF/E that I can remember. Here Greg and SD2 were liberal in attacking Bockinkel when the referee wasn’t looking and repeatedly manipulated Heenan into coming into the ring and drawing the referee’s attention. The key early on was that Heenan himself was desperate not to get in the ring, especially with SD2. This left Bockwinkel on an island by himself and it was only after Greg whiffed on a dropkick attempt that the heels were able to gain some measure of control.
Their heel’s advantage was Heenan’s arm in a cast. We’ve seen this ploy before but it is effective. Greg in particular sold any strike like absolute death and Heenan was feeling pretty confident in himself at this point, but of course it wasn’t to last. He found himself face to face with SD2 and this time he couldn’t turn and flee.
Momentum swung back and forth for the remainder of the match and I felt like the referee was going to have a heart attack with all the cardio he was getting in, running from one corner to the other, counting the guys on the apron for interfering, then diving across the ring to try and count pinfalls, it was dizzying to be sure. In the end Heenan’s cast was the difference maker and he caught SD2 in the head while he attempted a slam on Bock and it was lights out. The faces managed to get their heat back though by returning the favour (SD2 shoved something into his mask and went on a headbutt spree) and wouldn’t you know it, Heenan ended up in the weasel suit anyway.
Greg wasn’t bad here, but he didn’t add anything in particular. Bockwinkel, considering he’s the top heel and a recent champion at this point, I thought came across a bit too weak. I know the formula is to have that strong start from the faces, but he was cooked after just one or two moves. The big standouts to me were Heenan and SD2. Heenan just keeps impressing me every time I see him. His bumping ability is spot on. He’s always working, even when he’s on the apron. He can milk the crowd and he’s always exuding his character. It is really wonderful. For SD2, he’s just so good. He’s a big imposing guy, but he moves so nimbly around the ring. That agility doesn’t impact his presence or power either, plus he’s an excellent seller and bumper. I just don’t think there’s anything he can’t do.