Pro Wrestling Only

[1980-09-19-NJPW-Bloody Fight Series] Tatsumi Fujinami vs Tony Londos

Loss

• GSR changed the title to [1980-09-19-NJPW-Bloody Fight Series] Tatsumi Fujinami vs Tony Londos
  • 4 years later...

1980-09-19
NJPW
Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Johnny Londos
Civic Gymnasium, Takaoka, Japan
Card
★★★

Despite the middle aged physics teacher vibes, Londos, from the opening exchange, came across as infinitely more legitimate than Tony Rocco ever did. He grabbed the upper hand with a nice headscissor takedown and then proceeded to control Fujinami for the majority of the match. Things seemed pretty much on the up and up until Londos started sprinkling in a few choke holds, but he never overstepped the mark into full heeldom. His strikes, especially the ones sharply thrust into Fujinami’s throat, looked devastating and overall I’d say Fujinami was a bumping machine here, making everything Londos connected with look like gold. 
The match as a whole didn’t quite reach the 10 minute mark, and I think Londos took 80% of it, which in the end hurt the match. He wasn’t as skilled bumping for Fujinami as Fujinami had been for him, which lessened those moments where Fujinami did try and make a run. Ultimately, when Fujinami snatched the victory with a nifty backslide, it didn’t feel as earned as it potentially could have. I wish this had been given 5-8 more minutes and been a bit more even, then this could have been a real classic.