• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something Else to Wrestle With: John Cena

According to Bruce Prichard, he:

- Discovered

- Signed

- Saved the career of

John Cena

In all seriousness, he wasn't quite that braggadocios about it. He did say that "Cena made Cena."

Overall, even though the arguments between Prichard and Conrad were faker than ever, I still laughed more during this episode than I have during any of the others. Their banter is entertaining.

Conrad tried to compare the Cena stabbing angle to Bruiser Brody, but unless I missed it, they failed to link the reason why such a comparison would be made in the first place: Carlito being "responsible" for the stabbing.

Fun show, with the biggest takeaway being how disorganized and haphazard the "Ruthless Aggression" era was because of Vince's constantly changing whims.

They've pitched a "controversial show" for next week but aren't sure if they'll get permission to do it. What could that be? TNA? Chyna? Something else?

So only one hidden gem(although it is a grade A gem) then ? A nice few mid south episodes uploaded. So mid south from December 1981 to December 1984 can't be very far from being complete on the network.

As of now, they're only missing one from 1983 and only three or four from 1982. I think the purposely leave a few blanks, just to troll us nerds. Sort of like how they took their sweet time uploading the 1/1/96 RAW.

The first Wargames was released on home video right? I seem to remember commercials for it back in the day. Then again Turner Home Video was notorious for butchering shows to fit it on video tape so maybe what's on the network is the better version.

I'm listening to the podcast version now, actually, and while there are some good bits, there isn't a ton that seems controversial. It's not like Steph is painted in too negative a light or anything (I remember him saying that she'd probably follow Vince's lead on RVD getting punished, for instance).

I'm leaning towards "work" (which would of course make it the dumbest work).

I could think of two reasons WWE would want to edit discussion of ECW on Syfy:

1. It was the show where Vince laid down the edict that no one would mention Chris Benoit ever again.

2. It was the show where CM Punk started getting momentum to become a star and WWE is salty they just lost the lawsuit they were (allegedly) funding.

The first Wargames was released on home video right? I seem to remember commercials for it back in the day. Then again Turner Home Video was notorious for butchering shows to fit it on video tape so maybe what's on the network is the better version.

Don't get me started on those Turner video's they ruined so many shows on the UK releases cutting matches for no reason.

The beginning of the end?

Something To Wrestle With Bruce Prichard

29 mins ·

Heads up STW fans! No #SomethingElseToWrestle on the WWE Network, today. Bruce and Conrad shot the show this past weekend but “creative differences” are going to keep us off the air today. We’re fighting for us, the fans. Tune in this Friday for WWE’s ECW.

_____

Video from Conrad: https://twitter.com/HeyHeyItsConrad/status/1004418487706677248

He opened the ECW show the next night by saying his mention of Benoit's name would be the last time it would be said on WWE TV and that the following show would be them doing what WWE does best, putting smiles on faces. Pretty sure that was how it went, I'm not exactly leaping to go back to that time and rewatch those shows.

I could think of two reasons WWE would want to edit discussion of ECW on Syfy:

1. It was the show where Vince laid down the edict that no one would mention Chris Benoit ever again.

2. It was the show where CM Punk started getting momentum to become a star and WWE is salty they just lost the lawsuit they were (allegedly) funding.

I'm probably wrong, but I also think it might have to do with Punk.

He opened the ECW show the next night by saying his mention of Benoit's name would be the last time it would be said on WWE TV and that the following show would be them doing what WWE does best, putting smiles on faces. Pretty sure that was how it went, I'm not exactly leaping to go back to that time and rewatch those shows.

Yeah that's more or less it. He did say that in the 26(I think it's 26) hours since the news broke the facts have become clear. I felt he'd have been better off saying "the full facts" as the horrible facts were known before raw started. Three people were dead. I realise I'm speaking over ten years after the fact but it would have been better if he'd said that.

Being that the news broke on a Monday, the timing was extraordinarily bad for WWE. The first thing I knew was that they were all dead, from reading the headline on the company's website. This is just before Twitter and everyone had Facebook, so news did not travel as fast as it did now. If those avenues were as widely available and accessible in 2007 as they are now I have a feeling the news that it was a murder-suicide would have gone more widespread and perhaps before the show that night even aired. My memory of it is that I heard inklings from legit press about the whole mess, just after the show ended.

Part of me thinks, and maybe especially now when the company is on the cusp of making a legit fortune from their TV deals, what would be the response if a tragedy or something on that level of controversy happened. Because back then my impression was that it was going to hurt the company deep and nobody would ever look at the business the same again. Yet I couldn't be more wrong about it as I sit here typing this out a decade later.

My memory could be wrong but I think there were enough facts out there by the time Raw went on the air that they shouldn't have done the tribute.

Im glad they did the tribute it was great to see some japan Benoit matches.

Pardon?

You are glad they did a tribute to someone on the day they murdered their family, because you got to see some puro?

My memory could be wrong but I think there were enough facts out there by the time Raw went on the air that they shouldn't have done the tribute.

There was pretty heavy debate on this, but there was enough uncertainity at the time Raw started that it is excusable the show started. About an hour or so into it it was pretty clear what happened and it was looking real bad for them.

It was clear based on the "tributes" some people were offering that there was at least some folks considering the possibility and not wanting to be on TV praising a murderer.