Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Network... It's Here

goodhelmet

On 3/9/2021 at 8:43 AM, flyonthewall2983 said:

I didn't get the impression from that article that at least the guy they talked to from Peacock has the "get over it" attitude. Losing the markers is a negative, but not a huge one IMHO. I'm a little more worried that all the old PPVs won't be ready until summer. Not so much for that alone, but I get the feeling that doesn't bode well for the older television shows too. 

My guess would be the PPVs will be there Day 1, probably with a big chunk of Raw, SD, NXT, and the retro shows they're currently working on (WCWSN, Superstars, etc.)

There will be other stuff that will take some time to move over.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, sek69 said:

It's been pointed out that the Raw archive goes back to 2008, aka the start of the PG Era. Not sure if that means the TV 14 rated stuff is going to get more scrutiny. 

They do have a healthy number of Attitude-era PPVs.

1 hour ago, JRH said:

They do have a healthy number of Attitude-era PPVs.

Yeah but the weekly basic cable flagship shows were where a lot of the trashier aspects of the era were.  PPVs were a bit on the tamer side.  Yeah you had moments, but for the most part what made the era trashy was more prevalent on Raw and Smackdown

On 3/18/2021 at 9:32 PM, SteveJRogers said:

Yeah but the weekly basic cable flagship shows were where a lot of the trashier aspects of the era were.  PPVs were a bit on the tamer side.  Yeah you had moments, but for the most part what made the era trashy was more prevalent on Raw and Smackdown

Cant think there's any issue with content. They have stuff on Peacock (ie, Code Monkeys) that makes the Attitude era look tame in comparison.

Watched Orton on the Broken Skull Sessions. At one point Austin asks about his feud with Drew McIntyre last year and Orton says that he initially had "no interest" in working with him but that changed over time as they got to know each other better. I'm possibly misinterpreting this but Austin seems to know what he's talking about and I feel like I've missed something here. I wasn't watching when they had that feud last year and I haven't seen the episode of BSS with Drew either. Was there some heat there that I don't know about? I couldn't find anything with a google.

I know this probably ain't the place for it, but I trust all the folks here and I couldn't quite get a straight answer elsewhere...

So, I watch alot of my WWE Network on an (ancient) iPad while I'm either on a eliptical or treadmill. 

A few years ago, the actual WWE app stopped working as the iPad became so old that it no longer could handle the OS updates and can't download HBOMax, etc.

The workaround was easy, though - I just use Safari to go to the WWE website and watch it from there. Unfortunately, this option is seemingly going to end when the full transition to Peacock happens. Plus, again, its just a matter of time before that site probably won't load correctly either.

Also...when I tried to go to the Peacock website today to stream it from there, the site wouldn't load (again, I couldn't just download the Peacock app because my iPad is so old).

So, my question to all you PWOers is, would an Amazon Fire HD 10 Tablet work? I like the price point ($150)  as Apple products tend to be much pricier but not necessarily necessary for what I'm using this for - which is, again, to mostly just use it as a way to stream TV at the gym. Does anyone recommend another brand? Any tips? Feel free to PM.

1 hour ago, DMJ said:

So, my question to all you PWOers is, would an Amazon Fire HD 10 Tablet work? I like the price point ($150)  as Apple products tend to be much pricier but not necessarily necessary for what I'm using this for - which is, again, to mostly just use it as a way to stream TV at the gym. Does anyone recommend another brand? Any tips? Feel free to PM.

Apparently Amazon and NBCU still haven't worked out an agreement to bring the app to the regular Fire store.

https://www.peacocktv.com/help/article/what-devices-and-platforms-are-supported-by-peacock

I don't have one, but a bit of searching says that Fire tablets can use regular Android apps out of the Google Play store like Chrome. That should cover you. You could also sideload the Peacock app. (If you're not familiar, that basically consists of downloading the app's APK to the device and installing it manually, instead of through an app store.)

2 hours ago, DMJ said:

I have used the Fire for exactly this purpose and found it be fine. It's not fancy but as long as you can get the app to work (see the post above), I think you'll be set, and for way less than iPad.

6 hours ago, RingoPlaysDrums said:

At one point Austin asks about his feud with Drew McIntyre last year and Orton says that he initially had "no interest" in working with him but that changed over time as they got to know each other better.

I found this very curious too.

I wonder if Orton meant he wasn't interested in working with Drew earlier in their careers?

5 hours ago, DMJ said:

My only experience with Fire tablets are the cheapest models, which I got because, like you, "I didn't need it for much" - but I personally found those pretty sluggish and underwhelming. I can't say if the more expensive Fire tablets are better. Definitely look at the specs of the cheapest Fire, the cheapest iPad, and compare those to the Fire you're thinking of. See if there's a big difference. Also read reviews.

I have the cheapest base model iPad, and it's night and day to the cheapest Fire, but the Fire was $50 and the iPad was $300, so the price is night and day too. If the $150 Fire is much better than the $50 Fire and comparable to the $300 iPad, it might be worth considering.

Speaking from personal experience, I've had a couple of FireTV devices and a couple of Fire tablets, and I didn't really liked any of them in the long run. I much prefer iPad and Roku. (The B&W e-ink Kindle devices are pretty good though, but that's not what you're asking about.) 

I hated the forked Android ecosystem the Fire tablets use, because it's not even real Android and I'm not sure how consistently the Amazon version of apps are updated compared to Google Play. (You can sideload apps, and probably jailbreak if you want more functionality, but I never bother with that stuff.) At least with an iPad, I know what I'm getting with iOS. 

Yea, I think I'm leaning towards giving Best Buy a call and seeing if what I'm really looking for is some sort of Android tablet - though I must admit that I'm not super knowledgeable about which brands are actually worth trying and because what I'm looking for is kind of specific, I'm hesitant to just buy any old thing from Amazon based on customer reviews. Like, its still unclear after hours of research whether Peacock or even just the Peacock website will work on a Samsung Galaxy.

The Peacock app should work on any Android phone or tablet running at least 6.0, or Android TV device running at least 5.1, which would include any you could buy new right now. It works fine on my Samsung Galaxy Tab from 2016 on Android 8.1.

Craigslist is usually full of used Android tablets.