Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Network... It's Here

goodhelmet

Was watching an old PPV on the Network yesterday and noticed that they're advertising Hell in a Cell but not In Your House.

I know its not a big shocker to anyone how little promotion actually goes towards NXT, but one would think they (the WWE, NBC/Universal) would at least run an ad or two on the Network itself. 

If it wasn't for this forum and r/sc, I wouldn't even know there was an NXT show this weekend. 

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Migs said:

I dove into Peacock a little bit because I was reading the Gary Hart book and wanted to watch some World Class, and boy is that navigation not at all made for someone with a wrestling or archivist brain. 

What? You don't have fond memories of Season 4, Episode 18 of World Class!

Yeah, it's the shits.

1 hour ago, Blehschmidt said:

What? You don't have fond memories of Season 4, Episode 18 of World Class!

Yeah, it's the shits.

Haha. I actually think the TV shows aren't terrible - I feel like we've been calling the years "seasons" for a while. It's more disorienting that the show "Money in the Bank" has 7 seasons, each one show. Literally no one has ever called them that.

I don't really have an issue with Peacock. It is weird that it clearly wasn't built for sports despite NBC Sports being a big part of the platform, but ultimately they're not going to redo their whole formatting for one section of the platform. It is much, much easier and faster to search through the Xfinity menus than Peacock itself. However ultimately it's free for me and I end up watching a lot of shit on it I otherwise wouldn't just because it's conveniently available to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Either this is very recent or it just slipped by me, mid-south and mid-Atlantic episodes have been added to Peacock. It gives me hope that JCP and hidden gems will follow. I didn’t notice them when I was browsing tonight. 

I agree with all the comments that the “season” stuff is horrendous but I did find it interesting that the earliest available mid-Atlantic shows on Peacock from 1981 were referred to as “season 9.”

9 hours ago, MichaelZ said:

Either this is very recent or it just slipped by me, mid-south and mid-Atlantic episodes have been added to Peacock. It gives me hope that JCP and hidden gems will follow. I didn’t notice them when I was browsing tonight. 

I agree with all the comments that the “season” stuff is horrendous but I did find it interesting that the earliest available mid-Atlantic shows on Peacock from 1981 were referred to as “season 9.”

Mid South was added on Thursday, and Mid Atlantic was added on Friday. I'm hoping that the recent additions of Thunder and Mid Atlantic are a sign that the uploads of NWA World Championship Wrestling, and the Clash of Champions specials are being added sooner rather than later.....

For anyone who may be in the know. On the original WWE Network, the last match on Clash VI was Flair/Steamboat, was there a reason that the Road Warriors/Varsity Club title change was cut off?

On 7/18/2021 at 7:39 AM, MikeCampbell said:

For anyone who may be in the know. On the original WWE Network, the last match on Clash VI was Flair/Steamboat, was there a reason that the Road Warriors/Varsity Club title change was cut off?

Not sure if it's the case here, but a lot of that era was the Turner Home Video versions that often had things cut to fit on a VHS release. 

Also the handful of AWA episodes that were on the Network were re added. I often wonder of the other AWA episodes and the Florida stuff that was on the old 24/7 service and never made it to the Network will ever show up again. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Zoo Enthusiast said:

So, it's Summerslam.  Has everything been added to Peacock?  How has the whole experience been with it?

I think everything except the Hidden Gems and early Best of WWF volumes from Coliseum Home Video. Navigating through Peacock fucking sucks, but it's fine if you can just use the Xfinity voice remote to find something without directly having to open up Peacock first. Not really sure why the Best Of tapes aren't up as all the other CHV tapes up through 1993 are up. Maybe it's because they have their own best of WWE section up or something who knows.

Oh weird I thought they did because they're easy to find on Archive/DailyMotion in what appears to be higher quality than what you'd get dubbing a tape and posting it online. Then I guess everything made it except the stuff in the Hidden Gems section, which sucks because there was a lot of dope stuff in there but it's probably a nightmare with Peacock's organizational system. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So they just dropped some 1984 MSG shows, and the 3/25 show they have Akira Maeda (!!) winning the final of what I'm sure is a fictitious tournament for the WWF International Heavyweight Championship, the thing is the belt clearly has UWF in the center which surprised me since I was under the impression that wasn't a thing that existed until later. 

14 hours ago, sek69 said:

So they just dropped some 1984 MSG shows, and the 3/25 show they have Akira Maeda (!!) winning the final of what I'm sure is a fictitious tournament for the WWF International Heavyweight Championship, the thing is the belt clearly has UWF in the center which surprised me since I was under the impression that wasn't a thing that existed until later. 

Yup

https://www.solie.org/titlehistories/ituwa.html

Maeda defeated Pierre Lefebvre to win the title, but was generally used as a jobber during his U.S. tour.  
Promotion of this title began in Japan on 04/11/94.  
The title was abandoned on 07/23/84 when the UWF and WWF ties were broken due to Hisashi Shinma joining All Japan.

Unless I’m looking at the wrong one, that belt actually came after the one you are thinking of, even though it got abandoned after.

https://www.solie.org/titlehistories/inhtwwf.html

Tatsumi Fujinami (2)
08/04/83-Tokyo, JAPAN
Tatsumi Fujinami won the match against Riki Choshu by count out but refused the belt. Choshu couldn1t get into CANADA for the scheduled rematch in Calgary, Alberta on August 12, 1983 and Fujinami was given recognition as champion. Fujinami gave up the title after a double disqualification against Super Strong Machine on July 19, 1985 in Sapporo, JAPAN. The title was abandoned on October 31, 1985 when New Japan and WWF split.

Yeah but I thought "UWF" wasn't a thing at that time and Shinma was president due to New Japan and WWF working together. I never heard of there being a UWF until Maeda and pals broke off from New Japan. 

In fact Hisa's site has the belt on this show as the same lineage as the second one you linked. 

The original Japanese UWF was formed in early 84 based around Satoru Sayama (Tiger Mask) and included Maeda.

From Wikipedia:

"In early 1984, UWF President Hisashi Shinma brokered a deal with the World Wrestling Federation which resulted in a UWF/WWF working relationship. Through this working relationship, one of UWF's top stars Akira Maeda toured the United States with the WWF[1] and even won the promotion's International Heavyweight Championship.[2] The relationship ended on July 23, 1984 after President Shinma jumped from UWF to All Japan Pro Wrestling."

On 10/19/2021 at 3:35 PM, sek69 said:

That's interesting, I always thought UWF was a breakaway from New Japan. I wonder why Vince would make a deal like that when presumably his main focus was national expansion. 

Those Japan deals basically paid for the entire national expansion, when New Japan comes back in 1985, the money they paid, mostly to have guys be able to work the Garden, bankrolled WrestleMania. 

Having basically zero info on anything Japan pre like, 1993 or so, this is all fascinating to know. I wonder who initiated the deal, Vince seems like he always is more aware of Japan than he lets on and the Japanese wrestling scene has always seen working at MSG as a Holy Grail. 

Dave has said that Vince relied heavily on the New Japan checks until all the revenue from the first Wrestlemania came in and he could finance the expansion on his own. Those TV bills were coming up around Wrestlemania and he had a lot of debts due to the expansion; a New Japan check shortly thereafter was crucial in giving him some breathing space to execute his grand vision. It's a pity very few of those 80s Observers survive; there would be so much info there.