WWE Network... It's Here

goodhelmet

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, JRH said:

So do you think we'll see any changes with the Network/Peacock, or will they keep it as is? 

I think Triple H has slightly more personal interest in historical (especially non-WWE) content than Vince, but I don't see it being at the top of the priority list.

I've said it elsewhere, WWE needs a historian position. They used to have Finkel in that position IIRC, but he's since passed on. There are plenty of veterans who are either in the company or are on good terms who could fit that role like Hayes, Lawler, Slaughter, Wippleman, even Heyman. All of them have tons of experience and probably enough knowledge to help juggle the history of WWF/E. But this is getting off-topic so I'll stop. OTOH, I hope we do end up seeing the Vladimir documentary eventually (the Luger one was likely reformatted into the upcoming A&E biography episode).

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2022 at 7:50 PM, Embrodak said:

I do hope that the new regime has a less obsessive drive to rewrite history to make WWE both inevitable and transcendent. Let some real wrestling historians get at that footage and tell some stories, a Tim Hornbaker or Brian Solomon.

I read that as Tim Horner at first LOL (though to be fair, someone like Horner does have history in most of the major promotions).

On 7/27/2022 at 8:50 PM, Embrodak said:

I do hope that the new regime has a less obsessive drive to rewrite history to make WWE both inevitable and transcendent.

H's recent comment that Vince took wrestling out of smoky bars says otherwise.

• 1 month later...

They just added a bunch of Maple Leaf Gardens house shows to Peacock today. They also added a house show from Hamilton. Crazy thing is that I was at all of those Maple Leaf Gardens shows, the only one of those shows I wasn’t at is the Hamilton show.

I remember that July 88 show because Terry Taylor was on the show and he wrestled twice. This was before the Red Rooster gimmick, and nobody in Toronto knew who the hell he was, for the most part. I knew Taylor from the Apter mags and from Bill Watts UWF show that my buddy recorded with his satellite dish…but I must have been the only one because as I remember the crowd was DEAD for both his matches. I distinctly remember him getting heckled, I should go back and check and see if my memory is accurate after all this time. They were both jobber matches, too. Weird.

I remember the September 88 show because there were literally only two marquee matches on the entire show, Jake Roberts vs. Rick Rude and Hogan was supposed to defend the World Title against somebody big (I forget who) but whoever it was no showed, so the Main Event was Hogan against Haku. That show was terrible.

4 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

I remember the September 88 show because there were literally only two marquee matches on the entire show, Jake Roberts vs. Rick Rude and Hogan was supposed to defend the World Title against somebody big (I forget who) but whoever it was no showed, so the Main Event was Hogan against Haku. That show was terrible.

I am so sorry you had to sit through that Beefcake vs Bass match, my friend.

On 9/19/2022 at 4:07 PM, The Thread Killer said:

Hogan was supposed to defend the World Title against somebody big (I forget who) but whoever it was no showed, so the Main Event was Hogan against Haku

The only difference between Chicago/Landover the 2 nights before MLG and Maple Leaf Gardens was that Hogan/Dibiase main evented in Chicago/Landover with Haku wrestling Koko B. Ware. Then in Toronto, Hogan/Haku main evented with Dibiase facing Koko.

They had been running Hogan/Dibiase at shows a bit before this show. I don't think it's a thing that they switched it up because Hogan/Dibiase was on a Boston Garden/NESN show a week before unless NESN somehow got into Canada.

Then the next loop Hogan worked had him with Big Bossman.

• 3 weeks later...

I signed up for Peacock Premium Plus solely so I could watch old WCW Monday Nitro episodes commercial free. Halloween Ends being on there is a cool bonus, but I haven't had WWE Network since they switched to Peacock. So it'll be cool to re-watch old stuff again.

4 minutes ago, Coffey said:

I just watched it last night... yeah. Glad I didn't go to the theater for that bullshit.

I went to the theater. I really liked Halloween 2018, even if I did think that H20 did it better. But Kills and Ends have been pointless. I liked Ends better than Kills but it was all over the place. Greene's refusal to embrace anything supernatural about Michael especially makes this movie make no sense. Saying that he's just a man makes the whole thing fall apart. I started a thread in the Pro Wrestling Mostly folder if anyone wants to discuss there.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone watch "Woooooo! Becoming Ric Flair" on Peacock?

It's definitely a WWE puff piece. No mention of Flair's various controversies (I guess that's what "Nature Boy: 30 for 30" and "Dark Side of the Ring" are for). It's basically hand-waved away with "I've done a lot of bad things in my life." But like all WWE docs, it shines with high production values and awesome archival footage.

Bruce Prichard is fucking embarrassing though! 

22 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Anyone watch "Woooooo! Becoming Ric Flair" on Peacock?

It's definitely a WWE puff piece. No mention of Flair's various controversies (I guess that's what "Nature Boy: 30 for 30" and "Dark Side of the Ring" are for). It's basically hand-waved away with "I've done a lot of bad things in my life." But like all WWE docs, it shines with high production values and awesome archival footage.

Bruce Prichard is fucking embarrassing though! 

You certainly get the impression he regrets nothing in his life and would do it all again. He’s not a man prone to introspection at all.

Pitiful. 

13 minutes ago, BigBadMick said:

You certainly get the impression he regrets nothing in his life and would do it all again. He’s not a man prone to introspection at all.

Pitiful. 

It's sad, but like this documentary (and "30 for 30") pointed out, Richard Fliehr disappeared a long time ago - he has now fully inhabited the fictional Ric Flair persona.

35 minutes ago, flyonthewall2983 said:

The other night I watched a bit of WCW Fall Brawl 94, and was kind of taken aback at how good the picture on it looked on Peacock, even compared to the Network. 

To be fair, Peacock has always looked better than WWE Network to me.