Pro Wrestling Only

[2013-01-01-CMLL] Titan vs Polvora

Loss

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go. I had a bit of a taste of recent Lucha but most of my experience is from the 90s. Lots of advertising around the ring and on the TV screen. There are five commentators? Not quite sure where the impact is on that top rope move to finish first fall. It is like a reverse Spanish Fly I guess. It was kind of like a neckbreaker the way he was holding him.

We go to the ramp to start second fall. Big impressive looking monkey flip that got some height on to the ramp. I just do not know how these guys are able to move after doing those flipping sentons on to the floor like it is nothing. Some nice moves/reversals here. Big tope by Titan that spills Polvora into crowd. There is a crazy sequence I will not even try to explain. It is probably a signature spot by Titan but damn that should have been the finish. Dangerous head drop ends this one. Pretty good start to the year.

This was a pretty cool match, as they spent the first two falls doing a series of hit and runs, daring the other guy to get in a shot that would connect. It only happens a few times and when it does, it results in a fall finish. By the third fall, the playfulness is behind them and they go balls out, busting out the big highspots on the floor and teasing lots of false finishes. I’m not sure how I feel about the WWE-style extended submission tease showing up in CMLL, and I’m also not sure how I feel about the use of the entrance ramp for spots. I'm also not sure how I feel about the big Japan-style hot closing stretch. I have no problem with any of those things as a matter of principle, but I’m just not used to it in lucha libre and for some reason it makes it all seem a little impure. I thought this was really good but probably not something that will be one of my top matches of the year when all is said and done. Blame that on me more than the match — eventually, maybe I’ll get over the idea that all lucha is too good of an art form to ever change with time.

First match on the set - I've seen a little 2013 lucha (with Chad from later in the year). I'll completely raise my hand that sometimes the overly choreographed stuff can bug me (I completely get that it is the style) and they go at a very deliberate speed early which makes it stand out even more. I liked the logic around the first fall with Titan hitting some super snapmare/neckbreaker thing and then instantly grabbing a submission with pressure on the neck. Second fall is quick as expected but we get our first plancha after each guy takes turns running and flipping around at each other outside the ring. Polvora fires off a dropkick as Titan comes off the turnbuckle and grabs a leg submission to tie things up.

I liked the pacing of the big moves here although nothing in this match was matching Titan's hurricanrana off the top rope to Polvora on the apron (landing on the apron himself). That was crazy. So was Titan taking a somersault bump off the turnbuckle to the outside prior to that. We get another big plancha from Polvora and are finally back in for traded two-counts (with no doubt the slowest counting referee ever). Like the subtle touch of kicking the guy in the head while you have him in a leg vice. before Polvora puts him away with a nasty brainbuster type thing which he holds onto for the pin.

I really warmed to this one as it went on. Very cool

Since I'm probably the only person who has actually watched all of these matches (and damn near everything from 2013) I'm going to try and play along. I have reviews written for a ton of these matches, but for now I'm going just going to post general thoughts based on what I remember of the matches.

Like a lot of Titan matches this won me over as it went along. The guy is a deeply flawed wrestler, but he absolutely has some of the elements that you want out of a modern lucha "star." It's not really my thing, but for a match of this sort, I thought this was well worked. I do think people who enjoyed this should watch the 12/1 match v. Averno because it is a substantially better match, with many of the same traits that make this work pretty well.

• GSR changed the title to [2013-01-01-CMLL] Titan vs Polvora