Pro Wrestling Only

[2013-01-04-NJPW-Wrestle Kingdom VII] Prince Devitt vs Low Ki vs Ryusuke Taguchi

Loss

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my. Low-Ki wrestles in a suit like he is some type of hitman. I never get why organizations set up their main camera to be aiming towards a ramp. Let us see the crowd. Triple Threat match. See how this works. Taguchi hits a pretty sweet looking flippy dive to the outside on both opponents. He has some flashy moves. I did always really like the Ki Krusher move. Liger did the top rope DDT much better. Lots of moves here but that was that match. Right from the beginning. Each guy just hitting a move after move. Mindless entertainment. Well at least they did not bother with the matwork that goes nowhere.

I just don't enjoy watching Devitt -- other than the occasional spectacular move, everything he does looks weak and overly performed. In a promotion full of shitty strikes, his are among the shittiest. I could say the same for Ibushi, but I've seen him in more compelling matches. Anyway, this was fine overall. They never pretended it was anything other than a string of complicated spots. And the timing on some of the complicated spots was impressive.

Low Ki rocking the Hitman video game character get-up here. While they did a lot of 1-on-1 stuff (which is totally the triple threat style), with the third guy outside the ring, I actually appreciated the logic they took to get there (it didn't hurt that they bumped like crazy to play up the spills and the reason they were outside for periods of time).

In a WWE triple threat match it'll be Wrestler A hits Wrestler B and dumps him (usually with a pretty lame toss over the ropes). Wrestler C now wrestles Wrestler A. Here, when the outside guy would come back in, he would catch the stronger guy in the ring off guard - wiping him out as he tried a big move on his downed opponent. On paper it didn't make much sense at first. Why wouldn't you let that guy fire off another big move and then fight him? But thinking more, if you want to really lay the wood to an unsuspecting opponent, you do it when he's running full speed and not expecting it. Or at least that's how I reconciled Low Ki's (he did it the most) psychology.

Prince Devitt being late on his cue to jump off the turnbuckle to break up Low Ki's pin was pretty glaring but otherwise, this was fun for what it was. Low Ki crashing and burning to play-up the extended time for Taguchi/Devitt was good. The speed was break-neck at times and executed well. Everybody got to dish out and take dangerous suplexes on their necks too.

• GSR changed the title to [2013-01-04-NJPW-Wrestle Kingdom VII] Prince Devitt vs Low Ki vs Ryusuke Taguchi