Pro Wrestling Only

[2013-07-14-WWE-Money In The Bank] Randy Orton vs CM Punk vs Daniel Bryan vs Christian vs Rob Van Dam vs Sheamus (Ladder)

Loss

• 1 year later...
Great main event here, although it couldn't live up to the opener, which is the usual for the WWE Title MITBs compared to the World Title MITBs. Crowd of course went apeshit for Punk and D-Bry, as well as the returning RVD. This one had more resting in it, perhaps intelligently since every participant had held the WWE and/or World Title in the past on multiple occasions. I liked early in the match when Punk and D-Bry actually did some brief technical wrestling, causing the original hometown of ECW and ROH to pop.

Don't get me wrong - I said this was a great ladder match, and for good reason. Some noteworthy spots include: RVD kicking the ladder and Sheamus falling awkwardly on its side with his left knee hitting (well no shit he needed time off after this). Orton giving Punk a T-Bone Suplex on a ladder (again, no fucking shit the guy has felt broken down and might never come back.) Sheamus was also pushed off the turnbuckle and crashed through a ladder that was platformed using the apron and commentary table. I also liked that D-Bry got his kicking spots in the match, allowing the crowd to get their "YES" pops in.

The most important part of the match was the finish, which while deflating, set up the third and final act for what was just an incredible summer for WWE. Curtis Axel came out and knocked out D-Bry, but he was then the victim of a Go 2 Sleep from Punk. Paul Heyman came out and gave a tongue-lashing to the unconscious Axel, saying he wants Punk to win. Punk climbed up with Heyman cheering for him, only for his best friend to come into the ring, grab a ladder, and repeatedly smash Punk with it, causing the future HOFer's scalp to bleed. Punk's facial expressions were fucking FANTASTIC here, his soul completely crushed by the betrayal of his best friend, someone that he stood up for despite being warned for a year to avoid him. This allowed RVD to come in and climb the ladder, only for Orton to take him out of the equation. He checked around for anyone else, and brought the briefcase down for victory. ****

• GSR changed the title to [2013-07-14-WWE-Money In The Bank] Randy Orton vs CM Punk vs Daniel Bryan vs Christian vs Rob Van Dam vs Sheamus (Ladder)
  • 1 year later...

This was a lot of fun. Especially everything after that awesome Sheamus rampage run is some really good stuff. The absolute highlight for me is Bryan's fiery flurry where he takes out everyone. That ruled, and so did the rest of the match; they very much had the whole multi-man trope going w/ it mostly being two guys fighting in the ring while the rest of the competitors lay outside, but it's still good stuff. It feels like a scrappy fight throughout, and I felt like especially Bryan, Sheamus & Punk delivered great performances. The angle at the end w/ Heyman betraying Punk is executed pretty fantastically too, with Punk's excellent facial expressions really selling the deal. ***3/4