Pro Wrestling Only

[2013-08-04-NJPW-G1 Climax] Shinsuke Nakamura vs Kota Ibushi

Loss

• 2 years later...

Shinsuke Nakamura vs Kota Ibushi - G-1 Climax 2013

Kota Ibushi is the total package 2010's wrestler. He has the flips, but backs them up with stiff kicks and some really good selling at time. I don't know if he has the psychology, but unfortunately that is not what the 2010's wrestling fan is into I will say he is definitely one of my favorites of this era because his highspots are actually breathtaking (see Asai Full Twist/Layout and Missed Kick/Standing Full Twist&Layout) and he backs these up with badass kicks. I definitely prefer Nakamura to the ultra-boring Okada, but he is someone I can usually take or leave. I think Ibushi totally outworked him in this match for instance. This is actually a great contrast to Tanahashi/Ishii match, where I think Tanahashi gave a much better veteran performance than Nakamura did here.

The match is the 2010's take on the blowjob babyface having to prove his mettle against that mean, nasty brawling heels by spilling buckets of blood in a brawl. Superficially, Ibushi is a pretty boy with lots of flips. Here he has to prove his mettle as a pro wrestler against the King of Strong Style. Nakamura's gimmick is that he is essentially the best pure, technical wrestler on the roster. He has the best strikes and submission ability and in New Japan that means he is the best at technique. Tanahashi compensates through his strategy of taking out a body part. Okada compensates with his dropkick/Tombstone combo. Everyone else gets blasted pretty much. Here, Ibushi has to prove he can go toe-to-toe with Nakamura. Nakamura nominally put up enough of a challenge to make this work. He proves he is the better grappler, but he gets cocky and misses a big boot in the ropes. Ibushi dropkicks him out, but cant maintain the advantage. He gets the worse of it on the outside eating multiple knees. Nakamura gets his shaky leg, but again that's cocky bullshit so when he goes to run in Ibushi makes him pay by hitting a reverse elbow and then Pele. Ibushi uses his kicks to set up his big offense like the Asai Full Twist Layout to the floor. Ibushi's offense is great but I don't think Nakamura meeting him in terms of selling or really making these spots stand out. I agree this is a great climax and that should move on and Nakamura sets up his knee in the corner well by taking him out on top. Then they totally lose me and Ibushi is just as much to blame. It was just total bomb throwing not much rhyme or reason. Ibushi's stuff looked great.

Admittedly, they got me back in a big way. I thought the finish run was fantastic. Ibushi eats knees on the Phoenix Splash so Nakamura quickly strikes with a Boma Ye to the back of the head. Then he gets pissed and just stomps Ibushi relentlessly until he has nearly kicked him out of the ring. That's what I am talking! That's the domineering veteran performance we needed. The reason the Tanahashi match worked is Tanahashi never lost that swagger. He gave Ishii a lot, but you always felt like Tanahashi was the Man and would win. So the fact Ishii was doing well felt special. Nakamura has to be the one who brings that feel. Once you lose that feel, the whole veteran/upstart dynamic is lost and now it could be any two wrestlers wrestling. It is parity. There is no obstacle. Ibushi proving himself does not feel special. Now wants he starts to stomping him like an asshole, he feel that dynamic again. It sucks you in and so when Ibushi stands up to this asshole with palm strikes and then ultimately PUNCHING him straight in the mouth. It is a rush! Huge Lariat! Ibushi kicks his head off, but only gets two. Now Ibushi playfully kicks Nakamura's head. He makes the rookie mistake of giving his opponent the high ground. Nakamura creates separation and hits a couple dropkicks and then Boma Ye. One count->Stagger, before Final Boma Ye wins it.

I am tired of the extra Boma Ye/High Fly Flow/Rainmaker, it is really not necessary. The energy is in the nearfall and not the finish! The beginning was great, the middle was meh and the finish was fantastic. I think this was the exact match Ibushi needed in New Japan and he delivered in spades. Nakamura did not show up until the last three minutes, but when he did it was in a big way. My critique is Nakamura should have never treated Ibushi as an equal. He did not in the beginning or the end, but he did in the middle. Once he reclaimed his command, Ibushi's offense became electric and you could feel Nakamura's desperation. Had all the trappings of a classic, just falls short. ****1/4

• GSR changed the title to [2013-08-04-NJPW-G1 Climax] Shinsuke Nakamura vs Kota Ibushi