Pro Wrestling Only

Southeastern/Continental Championship Wrestling

goc

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The date on this show is August 30 1986. We start with Gordon Solie and Kevin Sullivan. Sullivan talks about how he was sent by The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller to take care of The Bullet. Gordon wants to show Sullivan a video of what happened to the last guy sent by The Stud and we get Dutch Mantel in the locker room, cutting a promo about how he has everything he owns on his shoulders, getting ready to leave the territory because of The Bullet.

(I hadn't mentioned this previously, but an ongoing subplot of the Welch/Horner storyline has been whether or not Dutch Mantel has the Junior Title. The last we see of the belt in that video of Horner going into the heel's locker room is Dutch holding it, so there's a good possibility they'll be going back to this video of Dutch leaving with his bag)

So anyway, Sullivan has Bullet's mask brags about how in his first night here he already took the mask off The Bullet. Then he does a lot of rambling about his time in Singapore and how he can see into the future and blah blah blah. Sullivan is good when he talks about his opponent or things going on in the territory but he quickly turns into a terrible promo once he starts with his mystic shit.

First match of the show is Jerry Stubbs defending the Continental Title vs Scott Armstrong. This is a pretty good match but the finishing stretch is really some of the worst refereeing I have ever seen. Scott Armstrong tosses the ref aside on a rope break. While the ref is recovering, Stubbs atomic drops Scott on the top rope. The ref recovers and does not DQ Scott for throwing him. Stubbs goes outside and gets a chair and then sets it up and atomic drops Scott on it. That looked like it hurt. The ref does not call for a DQ for using a chair. Brad Armstrong then runs in to save his brother and NOW we have the DQ. What the fuck? Good match until the really goofy booking.

Next up is an almost 5 minute long music video for Fuller & Golden. It starts with them being chauffeured to the arena where there are waiting cheerleaders to "Smooth Operator" and then going inside the arena. At that point we get a video of them in the ring to "All Hell's Breaking Loose." Then we get them leaving the arena and getting back in the car to "Smooth Operator." You'd think if you were going to dedicate 5 minutes to a music video it would be of a babyface act, but whatever.

Jerry Stubbs cuts a promo about how he got rid of Scott Armstrong, and now he's going to have to get rid of Brad again since he didn't do a good enough job last time because he's already back. Brad is sick of Stubbs trying to injure people and he is going to get his revenge. I guess I should just mention that Continental does a lot of these "dueling promo" type deals where one guy is in the ring with Freddie Miller (usually the heel) and the other is at the desk with Gordon.

Next match is Bullet vs Kevin Sullivan and I'm surprised this is Kevin's first match on TV. I expect copious amounts of bullshit. Sullivan throws something in Bullet's eyes before the bell and immediately starts kicking his ass. Bullet manages to comeback and put Sullivan in a figure four. Robert Fuller runs in and attacks him to cause the DQ. That was less than a minute. They start trying to take off Bullet's mask and fucking Solie says "They are trying to make good on a promise to Ron Fuller to rid this area of Bullet Bob Armstrong" KAYFABE GORDON! Bam Bam Blaten (Who?) hits the ring to try and save Bullet and gets his ass kicked too. I about die laughing from Kevin Sullivan backhanding the ref when he tried to stop him from choking whoever the fuck this Bam Bam guy is. Finally Tim Horner runs in with a chair and clears the ring.

We're back from commercial and Fuller & Sullivan are at the desk with Gordon. Sullivan has black stuff all over his mouth so I'm guessing he spit mist at Bullett instead of throwing something in his eyes. He calls it the "Bile of Asia" He calls Tim Horner an errand boy, not a general, and Horner is going to pay. Tim Horner & Bullet are in the ring with Miller. Horner promises he is going to be watching Bullet's back and Bullet is going to get rid of Sullivan.

Tony Anthony squashes another jobber and then we get Gordon Solie talking to Adrian Street. Street has won back the Southeastern Title and for some reason they are talking about him beating, in Street's words, "fairy boy" Terry Taylor for the Mid-South TV Title. Well he did do that, but in September 1984 not August 1986. They show the video of him kissing Terry Taylor and rolling him up for the win. Street is going to turn his Southeastern Title back pink very soon. And Wendell Cooley too, because he and Cooley have a match where if Cooley loses he has to be painted pink. He will turn the Wildcat into a pretty pink panther. Cooley is in the ring with Miller and he calls Street a drag queen. He isn't afraid of any stipulation to fight Street. They do a little stealth edit on Cooley's promo so he must have gone too far running down Street as less than manly.

Main event is The Intern (Johnny Rich) vs. Dr Tom Pritchard. Pritchard jumps him before the bell but Rich makes a comeback pretty quickly. Intern puts Pritchard in a sleeper hold so Pritchard grabs the ref and pulls him forward to drive his head into the Intern's chin. I kind of liked that spot but it's another one of those "Why is that not a DQ" moments. Jimmy Golden comes out and give Pritchard something. Pritchard loads his boot and hits an Enziquiri on Intern for the win. Steve Armstrong comes out to argue with the ref about it and it turns into Golden & Pritchard attacking him. Pritchard goes to hit Steve with whatever he had in his boot and Steve ducks so Golden gets taken out. Intern gets up and he and Steve clear the ring. Show ends with the two teams hyping up the "loser of the fall leaves" match between Golden & Pritchard vs. Steve Armstrong & The Intern.

v4kFDa.gif

qYf9_C.gif

QsrBxO.gif

I don't mind the shill and it keeps me from double posting with these reviews.

The date on this show is 9/6/86. Show starts off almost immediately with Kevin Sullivan vs. Tim Horner. Sullivan is in the ring first and goes outside to attack Horner before he's even in the ring. The ref calls for the bell with both guys outside the ring and I'm starting to get really annoyed at how much they ignore standard wrestling rules. Sullivan throws Horner into the rail, the steps, the timer's table, just completely beats the hell out of him. The ref makes counting motions during all this but he might as well just be jerking off. Horner makes a small comeback before the ref finally decides to assert himself and get between Horner & Sullivan in the corner, allowing Sullivan the chance to kick him low and take back over. Sullivan tosses him outside and then hits him with a chair. This is a thorough beating. Horner is busted open & Sullivan sets the timer's table on it's side and throws Horner into it. Sullivan tries to drop the heavy ass ring bell on him but Horner smartly moves. Somehow Horner starts to make a comeback after all that and throws Sullivan into the ring post and then back in the ring before Sullivan kicks him low again and ends that. The beating goes on and on until Horner makes a comeback that the ref tries to fuck him out of again so Horner shoves the ref away but then Sullivan gets him in the tree of woe and pulls out some kind of belt and starts choking him with it. The ref goes over to stop him and Sullivan shoves him away which is NOW grounds for a DQ. After all that beating Horner wins by DQ. Sullivan keeps beating on Tim Horner and shoving around refs until Frankie Lancaster makes the save with a 2x4 and runs Sullivan off.

This was one of the worst referee jobs I've ever seen. Starts the match while both guys are outside. Does an endless count while both guys are outside the ring. Doesn't go anything to try and break up Sullivan's cheating but as soon as Horner takes over he's there to interject himself between them to force a break. Doesn't DQ Sullivan for using a chair or a table even if it's outside the ring. Doesn't DQ Horner for shoving him.Doesn't DQ Sullivan for using a belt to choke Horner. DOES DQ Sullivan for shoving him. Not totally his fault because of the booking but it made him look completely inept.

Brad & Gordon are at the desk and Brad cuts a promo about Jerry Stubbs trying to injure people and injuring his brother Scott. They show a replay of Stubbs doing an atomic drop on a chair on Scott (which you can see in GIF form in my last review) Brad promises to get revenge for Scott and take the Continental title back. Then we get Brad squashing a jobber with Stubbs on commentary.

FINALLY a Roy Lee Welch sighting! He's at the desk with Solie and Sullivan who I feel should not be out there taking up the King's interview time. Roy is unhappy that CCW is promoting a U.S. Junior Title match and listing Horner as the champion and not him. Gordon ignores the man's valid complaints to talk to Kevin Sullivan about an upcoming match with Frankie Lancaster. Sullivan pretty much says that Lancaster has no business getting in the ring with him and he's gonna kill him. Frankie does a poor rebuttal to that. Gordon tells Welch to go to Bob Geigel if he has a problem and Welch says he might go higher than Bob Geigel and use his political connections. He IS Ronald Reagan's favorite wrestler after all.

Dirty White Boy is in the ring waiting for his opponent...Roy Lee Welch? Roy Lee Welch trolls the crowd coming out to Also sprach Zarathustra (Flair's theme) which I have not heard him come out to before and I'm pretty sure the crowd thought it was Flair based on the way everyone is craning to see who is coming out once the music hits. This is kind of an odd heel vs. heel match with both guys giving clean breaks but threatening not to. Welch finally cheats but taking DWB down with his hair while having an armbar on him. It turns into a battle of cheating with Welch winning. Even Welch decides to annoy me this episode by doing a LOONG nerve hold. Roy starts to fake a knee injury again and DWB is having none of it and kicks his leg out from under him. Welch pulls something out of his trunks and they do the old "duck the loaded punch, pick the guy up for an atomic drop and then get hit with the foreign object" finish.

Adrian Street is with Gordon and they are talking about a "recent match" with Randy Savage who signed with WWF in June 1985. Then they show 5 minutes of Street vs. Savage from Memphis. I have absolutely no idea why they are doing these segments showing old Street matches like they're recent. Gordon then asks him if there is any truth to the rumor that he got into a locker room "scuffle" with Jimmy Golden and Robert Fuller. He says that rumor can't be true because Fuller & Golden are still alive and well. He doesn't want to talk about that, he wants to talk about Gwendolyn Cuddly (his name for Wendell Cooley) challenging him to another match. He calls him the Pink Panther so I assume Cooley did lose that match where he'd be painted pink. He says it will be his LAST chance and he doesn't want any stipulations he just wants a straight wrestling match. Cooley is with Freddie Miller and he talks about how he's going to win but I can't pay attention because Miller has a spaz out moment that distracts the hell out of me.

The main event is a non title match between Robert Fuller & Jimmy Golden vs. steve Armstrong & a mystery partner who the turns out to be The Bullet. Fuller & Golden throw a big hissy fit about it. Fuller & Golden try and get out of the match but the ref tells them they signed the contract and the match will take place. Bullet kicks Golden's ass and Fuller is very reluctant to take the tag. Fuller gets the same and tags back out to Golden. Bullet tags out to Steve who promptly starts getting his ass kicked. Bullet gets back in and puts Golden out with a sleeper while Steve Armstrong keeps Fuller from breaking it up.

Show ends with Bullet & Steve making fun of Golden for going to sleep. Fuller cuts a promo in the ring while Golden does his best job to lay there and look dead. Bullet wants a tag title match.

I don't want to get negative in these reviews but I didn't care for this one too much. The way the refs here just ignore the rules has been bothering me for the past few shows. Plus I really don't want to see Kevin Sullivan in this territory when they have such good heels like Fuller, Golden & Roy Lee Welch who can cut promos without using all that mystic bullshit as a crutch. I'll probably be taking a little break from Continental and getting back to watching 1986 Memphis and come back to this in a couple weeks.

jV4NW7.gif

I would suggest keep going goc, based on what I have seen coming up with the Stubbs face turn into Mr. Olympia and his feud with DWB. Or at least watch the footage from the Titans playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV6RCTo_Cd0AwTyy2Cjfjxb6rcCeJ7Zlg&feature=mh_lolz

Yet another blatant shill.

Saw that the next episode was only part of the show and pretty short so I went ahead and watched it.

The date on this show is 9/13/86. This must cut off early because there is only 20 minutes on this. Tom Pritchard lost the fall in the loser leaves town match between Golden & Tom vs. Intern & Steve Armstrong so now he's back under a mask. He cuts a promo that he's Dr Ben Casey and not Tom Pritchard. He challenges Intern to a match where they both take off their masks before the match and the winner gets to stay and the loser is gone FOR. EV. ER.

First match is "The Thumper" Frankie Lancaster vs. Kevin Sullivan. Frankie is gonna die. Frankie gets tossed out about 5 seconds into it and gets tossed into the ringpost, the time keeper's table, then gets hit with a chair. Then they go back in the ring and Sullivan puts him down with the "Mongolian" Sleeper. Some jobber runs out and Sullivan puts the Sleeper on him. Frankie tries to help that guy and then Sullivan puts him back in the Sleeper. He leaves them both laid out.

After the match Jimmy Golden wants to talk about "that pink powderpuff, Tinkerbell" saying that if he fought him and Fuller they wouldn't be here. Street is out there and he says they're too busy hiding behind each other to fight. Which they immediately do. Street asks if their cuddling is allowed on TV. They switch back and forth between Golden holding back Fuller and then Fuller holding back Golden so Street says if they've got something going on they can continue this some other time and takes off. I am definitely ready for more Street vs. Fuller/Golden interactions. Of course once he's gone Golden starts talking about all the things he'll do if Street ever talks like that to him again.

Local promos:Fuller cuts a goofy promo about Kevin Sullivan looking into his crystal ball and telling Fuller the future. He saw Intern gone, Steve Armstrong bleeding on a stretcher and The Bullet without his mask.

Next match, which is going to be OUR main event because I only have half this show, is Despina vs. Ladies Champion Debbie Combs. This is actually pretty good. WAY better than I expected going in. Debbie Combs takes two nasty bumps that you will see below. After the match we see a video of an interview she did with Gordon earlier in the day. She's heard a lot about Miss Linda and she wants to set her straight. Aaand that's all I got because the feed cuts off. I'm just sure I missed some great Roy Lee Welch promo :(

W18Hhq.gif

lO0fwz.gif

ixICVg.gif

CQkMFH.gif

Found a thread with a bunch of results from Knoxville. This looks like the promotion that Memphis Mark wrote about. http://sportsandwrestling.mywowbb.com/forum2/18374-1.html

I really wish I could see this:

Leduc was injured on TV the week before by The Mongolian Stomper when he attempted to withstand the blow of a sledge hammer bursting a concrete block over his head. The Stomper rushed in and took the sledge hammer from Gorgeous George Jr. and drove it down on top of the block and head of Leduc.

Found a thread with a bunch of results from Knoxville. This looks like the promotion that Memphis Mark wrote about. http://sportsandwrestling.mywowbb.com/forum2/18374-1.html

I really wish I could see this:

Leduc was injured on TV the week before by The Mongolian Stomper when he attempted to withstand the blow of a sledge hammer bursting a concrete block over his head. The Stomper rushed in and took the sledge hammer from Gorgeous George Jr. and drove it down on top of the block and head of Leduc.

Its actually in this video here. Not much of the footage but its in there. They used this video when Stomper was bought into to Memphis and Georgia. I love this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py8BvMPLN2A

Found this series of videos today looking around youtube. The description says this starts around March/April 1984. I'm not sure when but I guess sometime in 83 Bob Armstrong had an accident lifting weights and weights fell and crushed most of the bones in his face. I'm not sure how it happened because Bob keeps kayfabe on his shoot interview and blames it on Ted DiBiase, which was the reason they used in Georgia.

So anyway, Jerry Stubbs is teaming with Arn Anderson and they injure Robert Fuller. Ron gets Andre the Giant to be his partner but Bob Armstrong sends in a video talking about how getting injured changed his perspective on life, and now he is trying to right some of the things he did wrong. He apologizes to Ron Fuller for costing him the World Title and hurting his knee, and he offers to be Ron's partner against Stubbs & Anderson. That's just the first 2 parts. I haven't finished it yet but I'm not going to spoil it once I do in case anyone wants to check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72z3Ua2hWc0

The Bob Armstrong heel stuff that's been posted here we have in the same quality as well.....very dark. It was also the last weeks of his run as well and I wish we had his early part of the heel run which was awesome.

Pedicino would air Mid-South before Continental which was a helluva 2 hour block and there were plenty of times where the Continental TV was better than Watts.

The date for this show is 9/20/86. Apparently something we missed last week was Jerry Stubbs throwing away the Alabama State Title. Gordon talks about a tournament that will be held for the Alabama Title. He says Stubbs won't be in the tournament and Kevin Sullivan & Stubbs come out with a letter from a "circuit court judge" stating that Jerry Stubbs will be in the Alabama tournament.

The first match of the show is Brad Armstrong vs. Jerry Stubbs for the Continental title. This is a pretty good match. Finish is a very rare ref bump :rolleyes: followed by Stubbs throwing powder in Brad's eyes. Wendell Cooley comes out and jumps up on the apron. Stubbs goes to hit him and Cooley ducks it, Brad rolls Stubbs up and the ref recovers to count 3. Brad Armstrong is the new Continental champion! Fine turn of events, Stubbs throws away the Alabama title as a cocky dual champion last week and now he loses the Continental Title this week.

Gordon talks about Scott Armstrong's injury & surgery. He interviews Scott and they talk about how his wrestling career may be over. Scott has taken a new job as the events coordinator. Call Scott if you're looking to bring Continental Wrestling to your school or civic organization.

They run down an upcoming card in Columbus and I'm surprised that Flair is still coming here as late as September of 1986. Damn, we must have missed something good because there's a Tag Team Tornado No DQ Match between Adrian Street & Bullet vs. Fuller & Golden. Cooley says Hulkamania has nothing on Wildcat Fever. Ok brah.

Awwww mannnn Tim Horner is in the ring with the U.S. Junior Title around his waist and I have no idea how he got that back. How did I miss that? He's facing the challenge of ROY LEE WELCH! Excuse me, The King of Wrestling, Roy Lee Welch. Hopefully we will see the rightful champion gain back his title in this one. Roy can see the sneaky intent in Tim Horner's eyes as the ref is checking Horner for foreign objects so Roy decides to cut off Horner's inevitable sneak attack with one of his own. Horner rolls out of a hip toss attempt and hits an illegal closed fist punch. Horner is in control until he misses a charge into the corner and hits his shoulder in the post. I'm so sick of seeing that move but I can't fault them because it wasn't done seemingly every other match in 1986. For some reason Gordon keeps calling Roy's perfectly legal forearms "hard right hands." Finish is pretty much exactly the same as their first match I reviewed from back in I think June where Horner rolls him up and Welch uses the tights to reverse it and win. Except this time he wins, no, gains back RIGHTFUL POSSESSION of HIS U.S. Junior Title!

We're at the desk with Kevin Sullivan & Gordon Solie and Solie has the new Alabama Title with him. The station decides that this would be the perfect time to put their station ID up and cover up the belt. Somebody really fucks up the editing because Gordon builds up them showing a replay of the interview Kevin did last week, they cut to a black screen for a second, like a placeholder for the interview video, and then go right back to the desk with Gordon & Kevin. Kevin cuts some stupid promo about going to Calcutta & Mount Fuji & Singapore and blah blah for some reason he's going on and on and "To be a King you have to kill a king" He'd better stay away from Roy Lee Welch. Kevin squashes some jobber after that. Some stuff as the last two Sullivan matches, chairs, tables, ringpost. He finishes with the double stomp instead of the Mongolian Sleeper so I'm not even sure if he's still doing that.

Local promos to build up the show in Columbus has. Tim Horner cuts a promo lying to everyone about how he's going to beat Roy Lee Welch for the U.S. Junior Title. Debbie Combs talks about defending against Miss Linda and Roy Lee Welch lets everyone know that Horner never beat him for the U.S. Junior Title and he never will.

Wendell Cooley comes out for a squash hugging and kissing people on the way to the ring. Man, it used to be so much easier to get over as a babyface. If Cooley gets 100% crowd support as goofy as he can be, John Cena would have been deified back in the territories. Cooley wins with a Bulldog.

Jerry Stubbs is backstage with Freddie Miller and Kevin Sullivan because he's not been on TV enough. Stubbs wants his Continental Title back while Kevin calls the Armstrongs inbred. Kevin is probably pretty annoyed that Brad's promo pretty much shit on Kevin's mystic gimmick & looking into crystal balls. Kevin is going to show Brad the difference between first class breeding and being an inbred.

Oh hell yea! Main event is newly turned babyface Adrian Street & The Bullet vs. Fuller & Golden. I remember reading about Adrian Street turning babyface by saving Bullet from a Fuller/Golden attack so I have to assume that happened last week on the half of the show I don't have. Wish I could have seen that but this should be good. Street definitely isn't changing up his entrance just because he's a face now. Oh my god this match is so good. Bullet whips Golden into Street so Street kisses him! Golden freaks out and Bullet sends him back with an atomic drop and this time he gets a forearm. Golden rolls out and is still freaking out about Street kissing him. Street gets tagged in while Bullet has Golden in a headlock so Street grabs his ass. Golden freaks so Bullet nails him with a punch on his way out. Golden falls down in the corner so Street goes in and kisses him again! Golden rolls out again and he and Fuller decide to ditch this match. The ref is about to count them out but Street interupts the count and they decide to come back. Golden doesn't want to come out of his corner so Street prances in to mess with him and gets caught in their corner and they beat up on him. Street makes the tag but Fuller runs in before he does to distract the referee so he doesn't see it. Street finally makes the tag and it all breaks down from there. Bullet winds up with a sleeper on Fuller outside the ring but Tom Pritchard comes out and hits him with some kind of foreign object. Then he goes in and hits Street and they start a 3 on 1 beatdown on Street. Miss Linda tries to come in and help so Golden holds her while Tom tries to kiss her. She appears to bite him so then he starts slapping her around and then kisses her again. Finally Steve Armstrong runs out and clears the ring.

Pritchard, Fuller & Golden end the show with a promo. Dr. Tom says Miss Linda loved it and now she finally knows what it's like to be with a real man. Street is in the ring with Freddie Miller and he's PISSED! He threatens to beat Tom to death. Fuller tells Street if he wants to kiss something he can kiss his fist! Show goes off with Gordon hyping next week's show with the debut of the New Guinea Headhunter and highlights of the Alabama tournament.

MPEDmR.gif

4V2DMq.gif

I8kwiG.gif

The date on this show is 9/27/86. We start this week's edition of Southeast Gulf Coast Continental Championship Wrestling Federation with the debut of Rip Rogers and his valet Brenda. Gordon lets us know that some fans call her "fleabag" and Rip Rogers would like you to not do that. I can't pay any attention to Rip squashing this jobber (Tony Falk!He looks completely different with the dark beard and blonde hair than he did when I just saw him clean shaven in 85 Memphis) as I'm trying to figure out if Brenda's ass is really that big or it's just the way her outfit is. Rogers wins with a Boston Crab.

Rip Rogers has the mic at ringside and calls out Adrian Street. He says he's hiding behind The Bullet. Rogers came here to take the Southeastern Title from Adrian Street. Adrian shows up at the desk with his pink belt and Miss Linda. Adrian asks which one of them is the fleabag and Rogers & Brenda storm up to the desk and we have an...awkward pause at the desk until they get there. They talk trash to each other and then Miss Linda shoves Brenda when she tries to talk. Rip slaps her and now it's on! Refs come out to pull them apart and we go to commercial. To be perfectly honest with you, I am really disappointed that it seems like the Adrian Street feud with Fuller & Golden is already done.

They are running down a card that includes a Continental Title match between Wendell Cooley & Kevin Sullivan. It's so impossible to keep up with who has what title here I swear they switch them seemingly every week. Brad Armstrong beat Jerry Stubbs for the belt on the last show!

Next match is another debut, this time The New Guinea Headhunters brought in by Kevin Sullivan. They squash some jobbers and pretty much work like Samoans.

The next match is Brad Armstrong defending the Continental Title against Kevin Sullivan. Oh...well that solves that mystery. WHERE WAS THE SPOILER ALERT!? So besides the fact that I go into this match annoyed that I know Kevin Sullivan is going to take the title, these two really don't seem to gel. Their timing is all off. Gordon always does these completely random shoutouts, so Janice and Nicole if you're reading this: Gordon wanted to give you a special hello. They get it together and this gets pretty good but then they do a collision spot (one of my most hated transitions) that looks really bad. The finish...wow. That fucking sucked. Brad is going for a backdrop, Sullivan chops him on the back of the neck and then piledrives him to win the Continental Title clean as a sheet. Brad Armstrong looks like a chump.

Roy Lee Welch is here! If anyone can set this ship right it's the King of Wrestling himself, OUR U.S. Junior Champion. It's over 27 years later, but I can see no way he'd ever have lost the title in that timespan. He talks about Tom Pritchard slapping him and knocking the crown off his head. He demands respect as the King of Wrestling, from not just the fans but all the rasslers. We see a video of a Tom Pritchard/Roy Lee Welch match. Tom kicks out of a pin and that causes Welch to land on the referee. Hey a ref bump. You could make a Continental drinking game. Drink every time one of the following happens: Ref bump, title change, injury angle, outside interference. But I digress. As the ref is out Tom Pritchard loads his boot while Roy Lee Welch innocently adjusts his tights and turns around to an enzuiguri from Pritchard and loses(?) the match. Welch is not going to be a nice guy about this. He denies that he was pulling out a foreign object in that clip, he was adjusting his tights. I like how Welch gets progressively angrier, yelling at the fans, getting angry at Gordon before ending the promo yelling about Pritchard cheating.

Wendell Cooley talks about Sullivan laying with lepers as they do local promos for Sullivan defending the Continental title against the Wildcat. Sullivan says a Wildcat is supposed to be something strong & fierce. But Cooley reminds him of a cat screaming in a dumpster.

Next is a tag match and Freddie Miller can't decide one of the jobbers is The Mongol or The Mad Mongolian. The masked jobber covers his ears to The Bullet's entrance music and is indignant at the Bullet's dancing.I appreciate the dedication to his craft. I try to skip through this but Golden & Fuller show up on commentary. Fuller & Golden explain how Steve Armstrong's armbar is illegal, along with pretty much everything else he does offensively. Gordon calls him "El Mongol" so there's a 3rd name for him. Now things get interesting as Fuller goes off on Kevin Sullivan, and he's not happy about Sullivan bringing in a "goon team" like The New Guinea Headhunters. Golden is fantastic as he goes off about Bullet's karate chops and freaks about how can the ref call them the winners when they cheated the entire match.

Kevin Sullivan is with Tom Pritchard.He wants Pritchard to help him. Sullivan was called by The Tennessee Stud in Singapore and now he's rolled the bones too. Oh good the phantom Stud, who I've never seen in all of 86 but he's always there as the "big bad" sending guys after Bullet. The Stud wants Sullivan to toughen up Ron Fuller & Jimmy Golden. stud is disappointed in them and wants Sullivan to straighten them out. Pritchard tells Sullivan that he doesn't want to get involved in Sullivan's stuff. He says he doesn't agree with Sullivan's way of life. This was a really forced way to start a Tom Pritchard face turn and Kevin Sullivan is in EVERYTHING.

Main event is Ric Flair vs. Wendell Cooley highlights. I'm still surprised that Flair would show up in Alabama in September 1986 to face Wendell Cooley. And looking at results this appears to be Flair's last NWA World Title defense for Continental. Gordon goes shout out crazy. Cooley of course reverses a Figure Four at some point. Solie tries to riff on my joke and tells us about what's going to happen next week on "Souteast Continental Championship wrestling." Gordon is about as bored with this match as I am as he's pretty much doing nothing but shoutouts and hype. The show ends with the match in progress as Gordon tells us about next week's show.

This wasn't a very good show but it does have some promise with Adrian Street vs Rip Rogers & Sullivan having problems with Fuller & Golden. Not sure if they are cycling guys for TV but a lot of people missing this episode like DWB, Jerry Stubbs, Tommy Rich, Tim Horner.

tTE7y1.gif

6U9r1b.gif

I just want to say, Kevin Sullivan is in seemingly EVERY segment. He has been seen at the desk with Gordon during nearly every heel's interview time: Jerry Stubbs, Fuller & Golden, Roy Lee Welch. I am really not enjoying his entrance into the territory and while I've resigned myself he's going to be the focus of the rest of the year, I'm hoping he isn't here too long into 1987.

If someone was going to make a set of the best matches of the 80s from misc territories, that Street/Bullet vs. Fuller/Golden tag would be a lock, IMHO. Here it is on youtube. Do yourself a favor and watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oF0WcMU7TM

Adrian Street is freaking awesome, and he's clearly the influence for some of Goldust.

But how on earth did he manage to not get his ass kicked every night in the parking lot, traveling around the notoriously homophobic redneck South?

The date on this show is 10/4/1986. Gordon announces that the NWA has announced the next person to throw a punch around the podium area will be suspended from wrestling.

First match is a New Guinea Headhunters squash. They come out with flaming torches and Sullivan in a black robe. These guys are essentially the Wild Samoans with facepaint. They win and then Sullivan takes them to the podium with Gordon. Sullivan has a letter from Ron Fuller thanking him for getting rid of Brad Armstrong and congratulating him on winning the Continental title. I can't really understand him there's a big echo in the arena that's never there.

RON RULLER IS HERE! He's been traveling all around the world and he just got back here. He doesn't know anything about Kevin Sulivan, he doesn't have anything to do with Sullivan. He wants to know how Sullivan has gotten in his house to make his interviews. Sullivan says that someone from the CIA has tried to wipe his mind when he got back from Singapore. Things get heated and Fuller slams the Headhunters heads together and goes after Sullivan. Damn Fuller is tall. And super lanky. Fuller's hat comes off in the melee and ages him by 15 years. Fuller handles all 3 of them until Stubbs runs out and attacks him from behind then Sullivan grabs a wooden stool and BLASTS Fuller with it. That looked really nasty. The beatdown is finally stopped when all the babyfaces run out and chase them away.

Ok so Fuller threw the first punch and now he is suspended. Suspended on your first night back in somewhere around a year. Sullivan now explains his master plan. So they are going to try and sell this as "Sullivan goading Fuller into throwing a punch" when Fuller hadn't even been there this whole time and the suspension deal was JUST made on this show? Jerry Stubbs tries to control the Headhunters in the background of this promo and that has me amused.

Rip Rogers comes out for a squash and they just clip this to death. They announce the match as having gone 4+ minutes at the end but it can't be 30 seconds on the show. Afterwards Adrian Street is out with his pink Southeastern Title and talks about Rip Rogers. Street says Rogers just had to come and challenge him for a match, he didn't need to slap Linda. Gordon explains that's the reason the NWA made the ruling that ended up causing Ron Fuller to be suspended from wrestling. He and Rogers cut promos on each other about their upcoming match in Birmingham.

Tom Pritchard is out to talk about Roy Lee Welch. Pritchard says he wants his time to review the tape just like Welch had. Pritchard denies that he put anything on his boot and then mocks Welch wearing the crown. He is going to take the U.S. Junior Title.

Next match is Jerry Stubbs facing the Alabama Champion Wendell Cooley. Stubbs has on the most ridiculous wig on during his entrance. Gordon must be drunk as he can't tell what color Cooley's trunks are, changing his story a couple times. Dirty White Boy does guest commentary and spends most of the match talking about how good Cooley is. DWB is really putting Cooley over, to the point of pretty much rooting for him in this match. Cooley wins with a roll up. Stubbs congratulates him with a knee to the back that sends him outside to the floor. Stubbs goes outside and beats on him some more but Cooley dodges a chairshot and then hits a Bulldog on Stubbs on the concrete. DWB is nearly orgasmic. DWB goes to the ring to talk to his favorite wrestler and then..attacks him! He beats down Cooley and takes the Alabama belt! I didn't see that coming. That's a pretty simple little swerve someone should do today.

We get dueling promos with DWB at the desk with the Alabama Title in the ring. Cooley is going to go get his belt at the desk and DWB says he'll just give it back. He leaves it at the desk and walks away. Cooley gets it and promises to kick DWB's ass in their upcoming match. Welch comes out and talks about Pritchard. This isn't nearly as good as the Horner feud, Welch needs a better babyface than Pritchard who hasn't even really ever turned babyface.

Main event is Fuller & Golden defending the tag titles against Bullet & Steve Armstrong. This only goes for about a minute before Kevin Sullivan is out to confront Tom Pritchard who is at ringside w/Fuller & Golden. As he talks to Sullivan The New Guinea Headhunters attack him from behind! Then Sullivan attacks Robert Fuller who is on the outside of the ring! Golden is distracted so Bullet rolls him up for the pin and he and Steve win the tag titles. All heel breaks loose now as Sullivan and The Headhunters take out everyone, Steve Armstrong, The Bullet, Fuller & Golden and the refs. Ron Fuller runs in and Sullivan takes off! Fuller chases him through the crowd and the camera loses them.

Back from commercial and Fuller & Golden are at the desk with Gordon Solie. Fuller freaks about being called a former champion. He promises to get revenge on Sullivan, he and Golden are going to take out everyone, Sullivan, The Headhunters & The Armstrongs. There will be a Fuller & Golden vs. The New Guinea Headhunters vs. Bullet & Steve Armstrong "Singapore Suicide Match" next week on TV! The show ends with Ron Fuller at the desk with Gordon. Gordon tells him he's suspended from wrestling. Fuller has the ugly stick with him and he promises to make Sullivan ugly with it. Just because he can't wrestle doesn't mean we won't see him again.

us0Nnp.gif

hyQbrw.gif

rhGUyQ.gif

xLhcKs.gif

Goc I'm on the exact opposite end of the fence on Sullivan. I loved his promos and angles he was involved in. His character work here was tremendous. Different strokes for different folk type of thing I guess.

It might be getting better now that he's bringing in his own guys instead of being best buds with Fuller & Golden. Kevin Sullivan rambling about rolling bones and traveling to Singapore doesn't work when he's standing there cutting promos with those guys.

Goc I'm on the exact opposite end of the fence on Sullivan. I loved his promos and angles he was involved in. His character work here was tremendous. Different strokes for different folk type of thing I guess.

It might be getting better now that he's bringing in his own guys instead of being best buds with Fuller & Golden. Kevin Sullivan rambling about rolling bones and traveling to Singapore doesn't work when he's standing there cutting promos with those guys.

I can see that.

• 2 weeks later...

The date for this show is 10/11/86. Not sure what's going on with this show, it's like 20 minutes short and it seems to start in the middle with Wendell Cooley & Tom Pritchard cutting local promos for singles matches against Dirty White Boy and Roy Lee Welch in Columbus, Mississippi.

*Ok so what we missed is apparently the entire "Singapore Suicide" match they hyped last week between Fuller & Golden, Steve Armstrong & The Bullet and The New Guinea Headhunters. Something pre-empted the show so they had to spend a bunch of time next week recapping it because it includes a big angle. I'll get to that on the next review.*

The first match, for us at least, is Tom Pritchard against THE KING OF WRESTLING Roy Lee Welch! The announcer mistakenly calls him the "self proclaimed" King. Unfortunately Roy does not take the time to correct this peasant Freddie Miller. Freddie announces it as a non title match, and then Tom Pritchard talks to him and he announces that is IS a title match. Roy Lee Welch goes crazy, and I can't blame him this is clearly a conspiracy. I still don't like Pritchard as an opponent for Welch, he needs more of a whitebread babyface but Horner went to JCP along with Brad Armstrong around this time in 86. Roy Lee Welch gets Pritchard outside the ring and won't let him in so while Welch is arguing with the ref, Pritchard loads his boot, runs in and hits the enziquiri and wins the U.S. Junior Title! This is more of a conspiracy than the Montreal Screwjob! Gordon must have missed the beginning of this match as he is confused by Pritchard leaving with the title and being announced the new champ.

Gordon calls Kevin Sullivan out to the podium to tell Kevin Sullivan that The Headhunters are stripped of the tag team titles. Then they have a phone call from Ron Fuller who says Sullivan shouldn't be suspended he should have to face Fuller's "close personal friend" The Tennessee Stud. Kevin Sullivan says "Are you telling me if I don't wrestle The Tennessee Stud then I have to leave!?" Well no one really said that but Gordon says yes and there we go.

Sullivan cuts a promo backstage flanked by The New Guinea Headhunters and a very white looking Sheik and Chris Von Colt. He kept saying to be a king you have to kill a king well he has taken Ron Fuller's kingdom.

Wendell Cooley & Gordon watch a replay of last week when DWB attacked him after his match. I enjoyed that angle, it worked really well since they hadn't really done much to establish DWB either way as heel or face. Cooley cuts a pretty standard promo about kicking DWB's butt.

Adrian Street wrestles some jobber who looks completely inept when Street tries to do little wrestling exchanges with him. Street wins with a crucifix pin and then kisses him after the match.

The show ends with The Bullet being given back the tag team titles. He doesn't like to be given anything but he'll take the titles back because he knows the Headhunters are going to be coming for them. Bullet has never rooted for the Tennessee Stud before in his life but he hopes he takes Kevin Sullivan apart. Then we see Jimmy Golden being loaded into a stretcher with an eye injury, we hear about Robert Fuller having a broken wrist and Steve Armstrong having a concussion.

Kind of a nothing show, but that's unfair to say because we missed the first half which was a big match and angle. But that gets recapped heavily on next week's show so we'll figure out what happened then.

The date for this show is 10/18/86. We start with Gordon talking over a video of Jimmy Golden being stretchered out of the arena last week. He is in the old studio with Ron Fuller and Continental has set up a special feature because of the first half of the show being pre-empted by news last week. Ron talks about his brother Robert already having surgery done on his wrist due to what happened to him last week. They re-show how Ron Fuller got suspended from wrestling but Gordon lets us know that "The Tennessee Stud, whomever he may be, CAN compete."

They get to the replay of the Singapore Suicide match. It's a triple threat tag, but only 2 teams at a time. They have a coin toss to see who the first two teams are (how does that work exactly?) and then when one team loses, the team that's out comes in. You have to win 2 falls in a row to win the match. Headhunters start with Fuller & Golden. JIP, and I'm not sure how far into this because Fuller is busted open almost immediately. Headhunters end up winning the first fall by pinning Golden and then Bullet & Steve Armstrong come in hot. They go to a commercial and when they come back Steve Armstrong is busted open and getting his ass kicked in the Headhunters' corner. Steve Armstrong makes a comeback and ends up getting a sleeper on one of The Headhunters. Bullet cuts off the other from making the save but Kevin Sullivan hits Steve in the back with something and he gets pinned. Headhunters win in 2 straight falls.

All hell breaks loose as Fuller & Golden attack Kevin Sullivan and the Headhunters. Bullet, Fuller & Golden kick their asses until the very American looking Sheik Abdullah and Kris Von Colt run out and save Sullivan. One of the Headhunters pulls out a blow pipe and shoots powder into Golden's eyes with it. Kris Von Colt holds Fuller's arm over the timekeeper's table and Sullivan smashes a chair over it. Bullet gets thrown over the top rope and then they all beat the shit out of Steve Armstrong. Sullivan's crew take off and leave everyone laid out. This was a pretty strong angle.

We go back to Ron Fuller & Gordon Solie in the studio and Gordon talks about what a big deal it is to have 3 top guys taken out in one night. Ron Fuller talks about how Sullivan had it all planned out and it's why The Stud has decided to come back. We get a promo from a fired up Robert Fuller who says he's already had surgery on his hand and they didn't even put a cast on it because he needs another one. But he thinks it's fun because he can't wait to beat on Sullivan with that cast. The camera pans out and Jimmy Golden is laid up in a bed with sunglasses on. He says he can't see out of one eye and can barely see out of the other. One of these days he's going to be coming back and get his revenge.

They show a promo from Kevin Sullivan standing on the beach. He talks a bunch of mystic crap about Abudadein and being strapped on the Tree of Woe in the Temple of Time. He says Ron Fuller has evil in his heart because he is lying about being The Tennessee Stud. Abudadein has shown him that one day Ron Fuller will kneel by his side and beg for forgiveness. They re-do the deal with Mark Lewin rising from the ocean but it was a lot better the first time in Florida. I don't even know if Lewin comes in?

Ron Fuller talks about how when he was gone Kevin Sullivan was here saying he was working for Ron and in his home. Ron doesn't know how all that happened, he doesn't know who Sullivan is, but he knows that the war is just beginning and he has some surprises in store for Sullivan. Gordon says that even though Ron is suspended from wrestling, as far as Gordon is concerned he is welcome on TV any time. They finish with their studio special and go to Gordon in the Boutwell Auditorium with Sullivan, Sheik Abdullah & Kris Von Colt. Kolt has a Nazi symbol on the back of his vest. This is such a goofy collection of guys. A devil worshipper, 2 New Guinea Headhunters, a Sheik and a Nazi? Sullivan is angry that The Headhunters were banned from the podium and threatens Gordon about it.

First match of the show is DWB vs. Wendell Cooley. I have no idea why Wendell Cooley is pretending to be a Texan for this territory that runs in Alabama and Tennessee. The guy is from Florida. They immediately start trading punches and I like Cooley when he's throwing punches. Cooley is about to hit the Bulldog out of the corner on DWB but White Boy stops it when the get in the middle of the ring and hits a belly to back suplex. DWB had fantastic wrestler hair, it's unfortunate what time did to it. Cooley ends up busted open from punched in the face. Video quality makes it tough to tell but I believe that might be hardway on the eyebrow. Cooley makes a comeback and hits a clothesline that sends DWB out of the ring. White Boy pulls Cooley out with him and it turns into a brawl outside. White Boy grabs a chair but ends up having it taken away and he gets hit with it. Now both guys are bleeding. They end up brawling in the middle of the ring and Cooley tosses the ref when he tries to break them up, then White Boy punches the ref when he comes back again. Another ref comes in and he gets pushed around too as they keep beating the hell out of each other. Cooley sends DWB out of the ring and then one of the refs almost pulls Cooley's tights off holding him back from going out after DWB. The two refs finally get it broken up and the official decision is a Double DQ. This was good stuff.

They have Adrian Street out to do a promo on Rip Rogers and someone with a sheet over their head is standing on the other side of the podium. After Street's promo we find out that the guy with the sheet is Bullet. They do nothing to explain why he has a fucking sheet over his head instead of his mask.

The main event is Tennessee Stud teaming with The Bullet against some scrubs. These two teaming up seems like something that would be a big deal to long time fans. Sullivan comes out and tells the jobbers to leave and tells Bullet & Stud he's about to give them a real challenge, 5 opponents at once. Suddenly The Nightmares run out and toss The Headhunters into the ring who get beat up but Bullet & Stud. It turns into a wild brawl and eventually the faces clear everyone out. Somehow the 4 of them get announced as "the winners of the match."

The show ends with the faces cutting a promo at the podium. Bullet thanks The Nightmares for the help and The Stud promises the war has just begun, the 4 of them are ready to take out Sullivan's army.

8A10nT.gif

bjcxee.png