Pro Wrestling Only

Southeastern/Continental Championship Wrestling

goc

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't lost interest in this or anything but I was knocking these out at a faster pace because I wasn't working a lot, now things have picked back up at my job so I have a lot less time. That, and WrestleMania made me get sucked into the WWE Network for a bit.

The date on this show is 10/25/86. We start with Gordon giving a rundown of today's card and promising a Tag Title Match and a U.S. Junior Title match. First match of the show is The Nightmares against 2 scrubs. They are wrestling the whitest Mongol I've ever seen, and for pro wrestling that's saying a lot. Are there even any legit Mongolian wrestlers other than Killer Khan? Nightmares do some pretty flashy stuff for 1986 including a nice looking suicide dive. Nightmares win with a Tombstone/Top Rope Legdrop combo.

Kevin Sullivan is at the podium with his group talking about the real Nightmares that Bullet & Ron Fuller have are of Sullivan's family. He says Kris Von Colt is going to buy up some property in Alabama and start a commune. Nightmares cut about the most generic promo possible in response and don't really seem to have any idea what's going on in the area yet.

Next match is Rip Rogers facing Adrian Street for the Southeasten Title. I still love watching Adrian Street come out to "Imagine What I Could Do To You" Boy they REALLY want people to chant Fleabag at Roger's valet Brenda Britton. Rogers tells people not to say it before every match and Gordon spends a lot of time talking about how "some people" have been calling her Fleabag "as of late." Street has the gimmick dialed all the way up to 10 today, tons of schtick with Linda combing his hair and him looking into a mirror before the match. I don't remember seeing Street grab his opponent's ass as a heel but it works great as a babyface spot. Rogers has to roll outside to regroup and Brenda wipes the affected area with a towel. Street ends up doing it again, Rogers bails and then Street plants a big kiss on the ref! The ref stumbles around dazed and confused, flooded with new and unexpected feelings. Neat little finish here as Brenda slips something into Rogers' hand as he's in the corner and he KOs Street with it as Street moves in on him. Rogers tries to hand it back to Brenda behind his back but Linda chases her back and takes it. She stuffs the object back into Rogers' tights as he pins Street and then tells the ref to check him after the match. The ref reverses the decision and Street wins by DQ. Brenda & Miss Linda get in each other's faces in the ring and then Rogers turns her around into a big clothesline. Rogers steals the pink belt and takes off.

Rogers cuts a promo with the belt saying he beat Adrian Street, the belt is his regardless. Street looks pissed off. He cuts a promo on Rogers saying that he doesn't care about the belt, he isn't going to let Rogers get away with what he did to Linda. Street cuts a surprisingly good fiery babyface promo and I continue to be more and more impressed with him as a babyface.

We get Sullivan and his Army at the podium. Sullivan & Gordon are "like the Walter Kronkites of America, what we say is the truth" Sullivan goes completely out there talking about how The Sheik was dropped from the womb into the desert where he crawled for 6 hours and was about to die until a jackal came and he sucked the life out of it. Sullivan tells Solie he doesn't make threats, he makes predictions. He says Solie is one of the top brass around here, he isn't happy about the rule that there can be no more Singapore Suicide matches on TV. Everyone has to pick a side in this war and Sullivan knows that Solie is too smart to pick the wrong side.

Next match is The King of Wrestling Roy Lee Welch defending the U.S. Junior Title against Roy Lee Welch.I thought Pritchard just won it 2 weeks ago? Gordon continues to mistakenly call him a "self proclaimed King" Pritchard's tights give Solie a fit as he calls them "well uhh teal, aqua, marine, blue you name it. Actually dark blue and light blue" Pritchard still uses heel tactics, so we get some dueling hair pulls. A ref bump (drink!) leads to Roy tossing Pritchard over the top rope, Pritchard skinning the cat and coming back to toss Roy over the top rope, which the ref sees. Welch wins by DQ.

We get some local promos from Wendell Cooley, Tom Pritchard, DWB & Sullivan's Army for the SUPERBOWL OF WRESTLING in Columbus. The "main event" is Kris Von Colt & Sheik Abdullah squashing some guys and coming out to music that really doesn't fit AT ALL. I wish I knew what song that was but it's just some 80s rock that doesn't fit these dark, evil characters at all. It kind of goes without saying that Kris Von Colt is not from Germany and that Sheik Abdullah does not appear to be from anywhere near the Middle East. They keep one guy in the ring the whole match and keep pulling him up from pins. Colt finishes with that old school backwards elbowdrop off the top rope and jobber #2 never even got in the match.

The show finishes up with The Stud and The Bullet at the podium with Gordon. Bullet says Steve Armstrong is hurt but he's not alone because he's got friends like The Stud. Stud says nobody has hurt him more times than the Bullet but that is behind them because they are united against Sullivan's Army. Sullivan calls them down to the ring and it goes back and forth until Stud & Bullet head down to the ring. Bullet & Stud run in and start cleaning house 5 on 2 but eventually Sullivan's Army gets the best of it and the show ends with Bullet & Stud escaping the ring.

CqEliR.gif

JHscBw.gif

The date on this show is 11/1/86. Show starts with The Stud talking about getting rid of Sullivan's Army one at a time. He challenges any of Sullivan's group to a fight. Scott Armstrong is the ring announcer for this show so it appears Freddie Miller might be gone. First match is a New Guinea Headhunters squash. Their entrance music is very fitting, much better than the song I complained about for Sheihk Abdullah & Kris Von Colt. I don't know what these guys did after their Continental run but they have some good looking offense and do the gimmick well. Headhunters win when they do an assisted slingshot splash over the ropes from the apron.

Sullivan doesn't bother calling him "The Tennessee Stud" he always call him Ron Fuller. He asks Solie whether or not the Stud is Ron Fuller and Solie "Uhhh"s until Sullivan tells him he'll let him off the hook. His group drew straws to see who would face Fuller and Kris Von Colt won. Sullivan admits he's not really from Germany. He was born in San Francisco living a "wild lifestyle" but he found himself in a library in Berlin. Reading books on a great leader. Colt says now he is following a great leader Kevin Sullivan. Sullivan says Fuller is a fake pretending to wear a white hat while he lies and wears the mask. "Evil lies in all men's hearts." Sullivan talked about Fuller eventually being by his side, this feud could definitely peak my interest if they have Sullivan try and tempt Stud into turning on The Bullet but I don't think that's where this is going.

Our next match is our U.S. Junior Champion and the King of Wrestling, improperly announced as "self proclaimed" vs. Dr. Tom Pritchard. I write this every time but my love for Welch is really declining as this feud with Tom Pritchard goes on. I parrot myself in saying he really needs more clearly defined babyface to work with. Welch wants to shake hands and Pritchard kicks him then pokes him in the eyes. Welch has control for a while and then ends up pulling Pritchard up from a pin. Pritchard starts fighting back and eventually ends up slamming Welch off the top rope. Welch goes for something in his trunks, Pritchard kicks him in the stomach & Welch drops it. The ref sees Pritchard put it on his hand so Pritchard drops it and when Welch goes to pick it up Pritchard sunset flips him and pins him for the win. Welch is under the ropes so this title change shouldn't stick any more than the last one but we'll see.

We get the dueling promos gimmick with Scott Armstrong instead of Miller. Armstrong talks to Pritchard & Street in the ring and then Roy Lee Welch & Rip Rogers talk to Gordon at the podium. Welch cuts a great promo about how he was cheated with his voice rising and cracking. Rogers brags about the neck brace Miss Linda is wearing and promises to take the pink belt.

Next match is a squash for The Nightmares. Their look is SOOO 80s. Lime green tights, face paint with pink and blonde hair. The fans to do not seem to appreciate The Nightmares "distract the referee and switch without a tag" spot as babyfaces. Solie "uhh"s his way out of a jobber's name to my amusement. Nightmares look have looked really good as babyfaces in their two matches so far, I didn't care much for what I saw of them as heels earlier in the year.

Gordon is a the podium with Adrian Street and the neck brace wearing Miss Linda. They show a replay of the match where Rogers KOs Street with a foreign object and then Linda tells the ref about it only to get clotheslined by Rip Rogers. Street says there is no way Rogers is going to get away with that. Miss Linda won't be at ringside until she is recovered but Street is going to take care of Rogers in their upcoming No DQ match.

Solie puts over a $100,000 22 man Battle Royal that will be split between the last 2 men. Sullivan talks about how he has the odds with 5 of The Army. He tells The Army not to worry about it, he'll handle how to spend the money.

Main event is Kris Von Colt vs. The Stud and it starts fast as Stud attacks Colt on the apron as he's coming in. Colt bumps his ass off for The Stud and I guess you'd be inclined to do that when you wrestle your boss. Match ends when Headhunters run in after Stud gets Von Colt in a sleeper. Stud gets beat on by the New Guinea Headhunters until The Bullet runs in and makes the save. Gordon says it's like a new match and then lets us know that Chris Von Erich is still out from the sleeperhold. They go all the way with that "like a new match deal" because out of nowhere during the brawl on the outside of the ring, Bullet rolls one of the Headhunters up and the refs counts a 3. Come on now. Kevin Sullivan runs in and Gordon says we've already had 2 matches and now it looks like a battle royal. Please don't turn this into a battle royal now. The Nightmares run in,The Bullet loses his mask but they go out of their way not to show him. The Sheik runs in and throws a fireball slightly above the level of Hogan/Warrior II. Steve Armstrong runs in to help cover up Bullet, the faces finally clear the ring and that was a pretty crazy brawl.

The faces are at the podium afterwards and Bullet's mask substitutes are the best. Next week is going to be an 8 man tag between Stud, Bullet & Nightmares vs. Kris Von Colt, The Sheik & The New Guinea Headhunters.

Gordon then hypes the month of November and gets me excited about a Triple Chance Two Ring Battle Royal. They rarely put this much time into hard selling you into the arenas, and that combined with all the empty seats during this taping makes me think business was falling off hard.

2wodu8l.png

wkYvNB.gif

• 3 weeks later...

The date on this show is 11/8/86. Gordon hypes up today's show which includes a 2 ring Triple Chance Battle Royal that I'm excited for. The first match on the show is Jerry Stubbs & Alabama Champion The Dirty White Boy squashing some dudes. Stubbs wins with a Scorpion Deathlock. Gordon informs us that he must have picked that up on his recent "tour of the Orient" which is the exotic way of saying "trip to Japan" I suppose.

Gordon tells us there is speculation about whether The Bullet is Bob Armstrong, and just because he looks, walks, moves and talks like Bob Armstrong does not mean that he neccesarily is. We get a music video of The Bullet pulling up to Bob Armstrong's house and Armstrong's sons coming out to meet him and then them all working out together in Bob's gym. Then Bullet leaves and dances in front of the car before it goes. This is a top 5 moment of what I've seen so far. I don't care how many times I see it I still love seeing him dancing in the Bullet mask.

Back from a commercial and Steve Armstrong & Adrian Street are at the podium with Gordon Solie. Stubbs, DWB & Rip Rogers are in the ring. Rogers brags about being the new Southeastern Champion. White Boy says he heard "Scott Armstrong" wanted to face him for the Alabama Title so he is accepting his challenge. Street talks about Rogers taking the title from him and how "we just saw what happened." But we didn't so I don't really know what went down except that Linda got beat up again and Street lost the belt.

The next match is U.S. Junior Champ Tom Pritchard against masked jobber The Hawk. Pritchard wins with the Enziguiri which Gordon calls "the crossover boot"

Kevin Sullivan talks about the lies of Bob Armstrong and Ron Fuller wrestling under masks after they both are supposed to be gone from the area. Sullivan says if Gordon is so pure and true then answer the question is Ron Fuller the Tennessee Stud? Gordon says they look, sound and wrestle the same but until the mask comes off he is the Tennessee Stud. Sullivan says evil lies in everyone, especially those who lie and deceive. Sullivan threatens Solie that accidents can happen to anyone who is on the side of the Fullers in this war.

Gordon talks about an upcoming card in Columbus and Sullivan cuts a promo saying nothing ever happens in Columbus, Mississippi but something is about to happen because The Headhunters are going to get rid of The Stud & The Bullet.

Now it's time for the Triple Chance Two Ring Battle Royal! The Nightmares, The New Guinea Headhunters, Kevin Sullivan, Tom Pritchard, Steve Armstrong, Rip Rogers, Jerry Stubbs, DWB, Kris Von Colt, The King of Wrasslin Roy Lee Welch and the 3 jobbers from the earlier squash matches are the competitors. The last 2 guys in each ring will face each other in a tag team match and the winning team wins $100,000 split between them. Rogers immediately goes outside the ring and hides. Eventually The Nightmares end up in ring 2 with Jerry Stubbs and The Dirty White Boy and they steal all the attention. Then we go to commercial.

They seem to edit about half the battle royal out during the commercial because when we come back there's a ton of people gone and Steve Armstrong is bleeding like crazy. From the best that I can tell, the guys left now are Roy Lee Welch, Tom Pritchard, Kevin Sullivan, Steve Armstrong, Kris Von Colt, The Headhunters, one of the jobbers from the tag match, and Rip Rogers. Ring 1 is just The Headhunters, Kevin Sullivan & Steve Armstrong so Armstrong is getting his ass kicked. At the end, Pritchard eliminates Rip Rogers & then Roy Lee Welch but then gets pulled over the top rope by Welch so no one is left in ring 2. Sullivan gets knocked over into ring 2 by The Headhunters and then The Headhunters toss Steve Armstrong into ring 2. So this has all led to Kevin Sullivan & Steve Armstrong vs. The New Guinea Headhunters in a tag match?

Armstrong is already a bloody mess but he does his best to fight back and almost gets the 3 off a sunset flip. Once Armstrong makes it to the corner Sullivan slaps him around and then Sullivan holds his arms up in the air and his hands are just covered in Steve Armstrong's blood. Gross. The Headhunters toy with Armstrong while Sullivan taunts the crowd and Steve Armstrong manages to roll one of the Headhunters up and win! Steve Armstrong gets beat down after the match and Sullivan leaves with both the $50,000 checks. Steve Armstrong gets help after the match but he manages to walk out on his own power.

The show ends with Gordon hyping up the night after Thanksgiving show in Columbus, Mississippi. The Tennessee Stud says he is going to have some New Guinea hens for his Thanksgiving dinner and The Nightmares talk their match with The Sheik and Kris Von Colt. Kevin Sullivan sends us out by talking about winning the $100,000 by himself, he went through the whole battle royal and then won the tag match alone so he deserves all the money alone. He and Gordon argue over whether it's 50,000 or 100 and Sullivan says next week he has a proposal about how he can have the whole $100,000.

yC8GEm.gif

• 2 weeks later...

The date on this show is 11/15/86. Gordon starts the show at the podium with Steve Armstrong. They show the replay of the end of the Battle Royal and Steve Armstrong having to go it alone against the New Guinea Headhunters & Kevin Sullivan. Steve says it was the worst beating of his life. He needed 22 stitches. Armstrong compares Sullivan to an indestructible Sherman tank but says he is going to keep working on it and find the formula to take him down. Steve says all that beating was for nothing because Sullivan stole his $50,000 check but Sullivan's day is coming. He wanted any Sullivan or any of his men tonight so he will face Kris Von Colt in the main event.

The first match of the show is Pat Rose and Roy Lee Welch teaming against The Tennessee Stud and Robert Fuller. I don't really like Welch being on the obvious job duty here, but this is a pretty good little 5 minute match. Robert is fired up for his return and is still wearing a cast on his wrist, which the heels obviously complain about. Robert gets in trouble and tags out to The Stud who comes in and looks really impressive slamming the smaller Pat Rose and Roy Lee Welch around. Say what you want about the silliness of the wrestling trope of guys coming back from loser leaves town matches under a mask, but Ron Fuller under The Stud mask is probably a much more imposing figure than bald Ron Fuller who looked really old when his hat fell off brawling with Sullivan when he first showed up. The Fullers win after Robert pins Pat Rose.

Gordon shows a taped interview he did earlier with Kevin Sullivan. They are in the ring in an empty arena, with a "35 foot" pole in the corner. They are going to put the entire $100,000 at the top of the pole and Sullivan and Armstrong are going to have a Best of 7 series of matches in 7 different cities to decide who will get the entire $100,000. Sullivan talks about watching in Calcutta as two criminals would battle in the pit and the man who climbed out was cleared of his crimes and the losers was stoned. He wanted to do it that way but this is what Continental came up with.

Kevin Sullivan has a squash match against masked Mr. America (I think it's not Hulk Hogan but I can't be completely sure what that mask on) Sullivan does his usual squash match routine including beating the crap out of the guy outside the ring using the ringside table and chairs. Sullivan drops this guy in a really unprofessional piledriver for the win.

We get the Continental Tag Team Champions Jerry Stubbs and Dirty White Boy Tony Anthony talking to Gordon Solie. Stubbs brags about beating 3 teams in 1 night to become the Champs. They aren't afraid of any team, even name dropping The Road Warriors. Somehow I doubt we'll see them. Gordon argues with them about saying they won the titles "fair and square."

The Nightmares come out to have the standard dueling promos deal with Scott Armstrong in the ring while Gordon is at the podium with Stubbs and The Dirty White Boy. Man The Nightmares look soooo 80s. Nightmares talk about Stubbs & Anthony having to cheat to beat them in the finals. Stubbs says The Nightmares are only going to get one shot at the titles. Nightmares say all they need is the 1 shot because they are the best tag team in this area.

Rip Rogers is next at the podium with Gordon to complain about Brenda Britton's suspension. Next week he is challenging Adrian Street to a Texas Death Match. He is going to show everyone just how tough he really is. Gordon shows a replay and Rogers does a great job narrating Adrian Street kicking the shit out of him, I wouldn't even do it justice trying to transcribe it. After Street has thoroughly kicked Rogers' ass he drags Brenda Britton into the ring and sets her on his knee to spank her. As he does that, Rogers pulls something out of his tights and hits Street with it as the ref gets Brenda out of the ring. Linda comes into the ring after the match and starts telling the ref about what happened and she and Brenda get into it. The ref tries to separate her and when Brenda goes to mace Linda, Linda moves and the ref gets it. Rogers then hits Linda in the back of the head with what looks to be a slap jack. Rogers protests Brenda's suspension but next week he is going to take it out on Street in the Texas Death Match.

They start the main event between Steve Armstrong & Kris Von Colt with about 15 minutes left so I'm expecting a bunch of post match craziness. Maybe not though because Von Colt is doing plenty of stalling to start. Lots of jawing at the crowd and consulting with Sullivan in the corner. They are really putting the rocket on Steve Armstrong as he fights off outside interference from Kevin Sullivan and Kris Von Colt using a chain. Finally the whole thing breaks down as Sullivan gets tired of interfering behind the ref's back and just runs in and attacks Steve in front of the ref. The New Guinea Headhunters run in and it's 4 on 1 until The Stud & Robert Fuller run out. Kris Von Colt stands on the top rope waiting FOREVER for Robert Fuller to come knock him off and save Steve Armstrong. Steve Armstrong & The Fullers clear the ring and Steve Armstrong is announced as the winner by DQ.

We get local promos from Ron Fuller, Robert Fuller & The Bullet who looks a lot like Steve Armstrong and not Bob. Ron is there "speaking on behalf of The Tennessee Stud" and he says that he's looking forward to seeing Steve Armstrong get his money in the pole match and the return of his brother, beating on the heads of the New Guinea Headhunters. Robert cuts a shitty promo calling the New Guinea Headhunters the New Guinea Herders and then Sullivan mocks him about it. Sullivan insinuates that one of the Headhunter's made a dick joke about the pole and then says everyone is going to see his 30 foot pole in Columbus.

The show ends with Sullivan at the podium ranting and raving about Ron Fuller being on TV. Sullivan can barely talk ranting about Ron Fuller being on TV without the mask and Robert Fuller being able to wrestle with a cast on his hand. Gordon tells us that next week we'll see the Texas Death Match between Rip Rogers & Adrian Street, a Tag Title match and the New Guinea Headhunters in action. Gordon signs off saying as far as he is concerned that as long as the mask remains intact that The Tennessee Stud is the Tennessee Stud and that Ron Fuller is allowed to come on and make interviews on his behalf.

PMqXEQ.gif

qs1b1f.png

• 2 weeks later...

The date on this show is 11/22/86. The show starts with the formidable team of Pablo Crenshaw and the masked Star Fighter against The New Guinea Headhunters. The crowd starts a chant of USA before the match and perhaps this team of underdogs will be overtaken by patriotic spirit and win this match. The bell rings and quickly ends that idea with a Headhunter chop to the throat. The Headhunters have altered their face paint a bit and look really intimidating this week. The Star Fighter gets his ass kicked a lot, including some shots from Kevin Sullivan outside the ring. Pablo Crenshaw comes in and isn't exactly a house on fire as he does nothing but get beat on. They look pretty bad ass beating on these two chumps but the finish is them putting the old Spike rest hold on both guys and the crowd seems less than impressed by that.

After commercials we come back to Tom Pritchard & Gordon hyping up a Texas Death Match between Pritchard and OUR King of Wrestling Roy Lee Welch for the U.S. Junior Title. I assume that will be the blowoff and surely there can be no result other than the true champion regaining his title.

Then we get Gordon Solie & Kevin Sullivan at the podium talking about what Steve Armstrong had to say last week. Sullivan wanted "equal time" to respond. Sullivan mocks Steve for saying "good will always defeat evil" Sullivan gives us a history lesson of the Garden of Eden and evil being around since the beginning of time. They replay the finish of the Battle Royal with Kevin explaining that he was only beating on Steve to try to help him get his wits back so they could team together and win. Solie gets frustrated by Sullivan and eventually informs him that he's received his equal time and that he's done talking to him.

The next match is Adrian Street vs Rip Rogers in a Texas Death Match. Judging by Adrian Street's reaction I would guess he is the most popular wrestler with the female fans in Birmingham. Street is out first and goofs around in the front row with the fans. Rogers comes out with nun chucks but when he sets them down on the timer's table to take off his rob, Adrian Street immediately jumps him! Street kicks his ass and gets two falls but Rogers beats the 10 count on both and takes control with the trusty "vague foreign object" He works over Street for a while and gets a few falls but he can't keep Adrian down for the 10 count. Street eventually takes the object and kicks Rogers ass with it until Rogers grabs the nunchucks from the timer's table. He winds up to hit Street with it but Street hits him with a low blow, steals the nun chucks and blasts Rogers with them for the win.

After the match we get Street celebrating at the podium with Gordon Solie. He says Rogers is the one who wanted this match and Street beat him at his own game. He got revenge for Miss Linda and now he wants to get his Southeastern Title back. Rip Rogers is in the ring with Scott Armstrong and he has a fit about being hit with the nun chucks. He says they are a weapon with no place in wrestling, the loss shouldn't count! Rogers doesn't exactly accept the challenge but Gordon says he must defend the title against Street soon.

Back from commercial and they go straight to the main event, Jerry Stubbs and the Dirty White Boy defending the Tag Team Titles against The Nightmares. I'm looking forward to this because while I may have poked some fun at The Nightmares very 80s look, I've been impressed with their squash matches and I'm ready to see them face a real team. The champs come out first and as soon as The Nightmares hit the ring they start kicking some ass. They both throw some nice punches but Danny Davis especially and they quickly clear the ring and immediately follow Stubbs & White Boy outside to kick their asses some more. Eventually the champs finally turn it around by getting Ken Wayne isolated in their corner. They then work a long FIP section on Ken Wayne that includes ramming his head off the ring bell. Finally he makes the tag to Danny Davis who comes in and goes crazy. Things break down into a wild brawl with all 4 in the ring until eventually White Boy ends up outside the ring and Danny Davis dives out onto him. Then he grabs a chair and tosses it at White Boy who just lets it bounce right off his face. Stubbs and Ken Wayne end up outside the ring with the referee somehow knocked down inside. Another ref comes down to ringside and gets knocked out by Ken Wayne so the match gets thrown out. They don't particularly care though as both teams keep fighting at ringside and up the aisle. This was a good match and a really fun brawl at the end.

Show ends with Gordon running down the next card in Birmingham and talking to a an angry Jerry Stubbs & Dirty White Boy at the podium. They challenge The Nightmares to any match they want and The Nightmares want a No DQ match.

2pzgzrr.png

47zDju.gif

NwP75t.gif

The date on this show is 12/6/86. The quality on this episode is pretty bad, the video is really dark so there probably won't be any gifs or pics for this one. We start the show at the podium with Joe Pedicino who tells us that Gordon had a death in the family and that he'll be filling in this week. He has The Fullers with him, just the Fullers not The Stud. Ron tries to sell the fans on Joe saying he is just as good as Gordon to which there is an audible boo that amuses me.

The first match of the show is The Nightmares taking on Pat Rose and some other guy. Jerry Stubbs & Dirty White Boy join Pedicino for guest commentary for this match. Nightmares make themselves look great at the jobber's expense but treat Pat Rose as somewhat equal. Nightmares win with their Tombstone/Top Rope Legdrop combo on the jobber.

After that Joe tells us that Kevin Sullivan has a video he wanted everyone to see. We get a really long Kevin Sullivan promo with the city of Birmingham behind him. Sullivan certainly mastered the art of sounding like he is saying something until the promo is over and you try and sum up the point and you realize there really wasn't one. He did spend a bit of time letting us know that in New Guinea the man is #1, the dog is #2 and the woman comes after that.

We come back from commercial to Stubbs & Dirty White Boy bragging about how "they couldn't beat us" and then Joe tells us that they are now going to have to wrestle a no time limit match. They go to The Nightmares in the ring who are complaining about a time limit draw but say that now there is no way Stubbs & Anthony can keep the titles in a no time limit match. As Stubbs & Anthony complain Joe says it's already been 2 time limit draws and Continental won't let there be a 3rd. I have no idea what kind of fucked up editing caused this.

The next match is Kevin Sullivan vs Steve Armstrong. Sullivan grabs the mic from Scott Armstrong as he's doing his introduction and starts insulting Scott and The Armstrong family. Steve runs out but Sullivan jumps on him as soon as he slides under the bottom rope. Sullivan pretty much completely dominates the match and as soon as Steve starts his comeback the ref gets bumped. Sullivan rakes the eyes and then crotches Armstrong on the top rope. As he goes to do it again, Steve shifts it over into a pin and Scott Armstrong jumps in the ring and makes the count! Joe Pedicino isn't sure and says he's going to wait for the "official word" but since Scott is the ring announcer he quickly lets us know that the winner and new Continental Champion is Steve Armstrong! Interesting angle, and a good time for Scott to intervene since Kevin was doing the same move to Steve Armstrong that Jerry Stubbs did to him to "end" his wrestling career. Joe lets us know that Scott does not have a referee's license.

We come back from a commercial and instead of giving us any more info about the Continental Title, Joe lets us know there is a new Alabama Champion, the newly returned Wendell Cooley. They show footage of his win over The Dirty White Boy at the Oxford Civic Center. They show Cooley hit his Bulldog finisher on Tony Anthony and go for the pin but at the 2 count Jerry Stubbs runs in and stomps on the ref. As the ref tries to get up Stubbs kicks him in the back of the head and the ref is out. Stubbs hits a Brainbuster on Cooley and then puts The Dirty White Boy on top of Wendell Cooley for the pin. The Nightmares run out and hit their Tombstone/Legdrop combo on DWB and then put Cooley on top for the pin. The ref wakes up and counts the pin, giving Cooley the win and the Alabama Title. Joe Pedicino then says Cooley's next challenge is keeping the title and his first challenger is Kris Von Colt.

Pedicino says Sullivan actually bought time to show footage for Von Colt. Then they show tape of a match from Birmingham where Kris Von Colt vs. Wendell Cooley just turns into a huge brawl. Sullivan & Von Colt talk over the footage and Colt cuts a really lame anti American promo and generally sounds like someone who should never have a mic again. As far as the match footage, it honestly looks like a fancam tape. It's shot from like the 4th row and when the crowd stands up you can't see a thing while they brawl on the floor. Cooley says he's not scared to take on Colt or the whole Sullivan Army. He is proud to be an American and proud to be the Alabama champion.

We come back from commercial to a tape of Robert Fuller in the dressing room putting the mask on the Tennessee Stud as The Stud instructs him to put it on tight because "they almost got it off last time." Then the camera follows them as they come out for their match with the New Guinea Headhunters but the footage cuts off and we go to Joe Pedicino as the podium with Robert & The Stud. Pedicino says they were going to show the end of that match with The Headhunters and show people what happened at the end of it but "Sullivan got the tape erased." Stud lets us know that Sullivan pulled out a spike and "stuck it into my brother's throat" KAYFABE Ron! Pedicino says they don't have the match itself, but they have the footage of what happened afterwards. The Stud attacks Sullivan put The Headhunters pull him off and toss him over the top rope. Then they try to broke Robert's hand again by smashing at against the ringpost. But Robert lets us know that Sullivan was too stupid to hit his arm above the cast and says he can beat on the cast all day and it won't do any good. Stud says he and Robert aren't afraid of Sullivan's army, and soon Jimmy Golden is going to come back and help them even up the numbers. Stud says he heard that the officials aren't going to let Steve Armstrong keep the Continental Title and Joe announces that is true and Steve is going to have to surrender the title back. The Fullers leave and Scott & Steve come out. Scott apologizes, he shouldn't have gotten in the ring and made that count. He made a mistake. Sullivan comes out and takes back the title and runs down Scott Armstrong who walks away but then we see The Bullet come up to confront Sullivan. Bullet says Sullivan got that belt back by a technicality, but next week Kevin has to defend it against HIM The Bullet. Why would he steal his son's rematch? Especially after Sullivan just spent plenty of time letting us know that the Armstrong family is a family of thieves. It could have something to do with the Loser Leaves Town match they are advertising between Steve Armstrong & Kevin Sullivan.

Thief or not, The Bullet can still dance as he comes out for the main event. Which is just him squashing some unannounced jobber who Joe tells us is "Eddie Sweat." Bullet quickly slaps on the Figure Four and Eddie Sweat submits. After the match we go to Sullivan at the podium insinuating that he and Pedicino are pals and that Joe is the one who had the tape erased for him. Pedicino protests as Sullivan continues to insinuate that Pedicino is "his" guy and puts over how soon Kris Von Colt will be the Alabama champion and The Headhunters will have the tag team belts. Pedicino sends it to Scott Armstrong who is in the ring with Steve and The Bullet and Bullet talks about his match with Sullivan next week until Sullivan and his guys hit the ring. The show ends with The Armstrongs including Scott brawling with Sullivan and his Army while Joe lets us know that Sullivan is bringing in The Flame and Abdullah the Butcher in to fight his battles and he'll let us know more next week about Abdullah the Butcher coming to Continental Wrestling.

It wasn't a total dud, the angle with Scott Armstrong jumping in the ring to count for his brother was pretty good. I think the show was either poorly paced or badly edited together because they ran that big angle and then didn't even mention it again for the next 20 minutes. Plus it had that really weird segment with Stubbs & DWB talking about a time limit draw that wasn't on the show.

I forgot to mention that it seems like The Sheik has disappeared. So no more fireball gifs from The Sheik. Anyone even know who that guy was? I can't recall ever seeing him wrestle under another gimmick or anything.

• 2 weeks later...

It wasn't a total dud, the angle with Scott Armstrong jumping in the ring to count for his brother was pretty good. I think the show was either poorly paced or badly edited together because they ran that big angle and then didn't even mention it again for the next 20 minutes. Plus it had that really weird segment with Stubbs & DWB talking about a time limit draw that wasn't on the show.

I forgot to mention that it seems like The Sheik has disappeared. So no more fireball gifs from The Sheik. Anyone even know who that guy was? I can't recall ever seeing him wrestle under another gimmick or anything.

I think The Continental Sheik was Ali Hassan , The Iranian Assassin . He worked for Dick the Bruiser WWA fed. LIke many others he went to work in Memphis after the WWA 's business went south. If I am correct he held the AWA Southern belts with both Paul Ellering and the Cuban Assassin. He was part of Jimmy Hart's First Family.

I think The Continental Sheik was Ali Hassan , The Iranian Assassin . He worked for Dick the Bruiser WWA fed. LIke many others he went to work in Memphis after the WWA 's business went south. If I am correct he held the AWA Southern belts with both Paul Ellering and the Cuban Assassin. He was part of Jimmy Hart's First Family.

Thank you! Based on your information I was able to find this http://prowrestling.wikia.com/wiki/Jack_Krueger

According to that bio he also worked as a road agent and a referee for WWF in the late 80s/early 90s but he has a fairly memorable look and I don't remember ever seeing him as a ref in WWF.

http://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=8553&page=4 Looking at his match listings there I'm not even sure how he wound up in Continental. It looked like he had steady work as a jobber in WWF all through 86 but just showed up in Continental for October before going right back to WWF.

Looking at stuff about The Sheik got me interested in learning more about The New Guinea Headhunters since they definitely feel like guys who've been wrestling and done the gimmick before but I'd never seen or heard of them. From the best that I can tell, this was their last real run together and they were active since around 1973 and wrestled as The Samoans BEFORE Afa and Sika. Found a lot of info about them here. http://sportsandwrestling.mywowbb.com/forum2/9327.html

Thank you! Based on your information I was able to find this http://prowrestling.wikia.com/wiki/Jack_Krueger

According to that bio he also worked as a road agent and a referee for WWF in the late 80s/early 90s but he has a fairly memorable look and I don't remember ever seeing him as a ref in WWF.

http://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=8553&page=4 Looking at his match listings there I'm not even sure how he wound up in Continental. It looked like he had steady work as a jobber in WWF all through 86 but just showed up in Continental for October before going right back to WWF.

A Iranian Assassin/ Sheik note that has nothing to do with Continental . Jimmy Hart and the First Family shot a music video to promote Jimmy's new single " We Hate School " . The Sheik / Iranian Assassin was the drummer in the video. Pretty Cool.

The date on this show is 12/13/86. Gordon starts the show by thanking Joe Pedicino for filling in for him last week. He tells this week we'll see Kevin Sullivan defend the Continental Title against The Bullet and Rip Rogers is going to defend the Southeastern Title against a man from Canada with 51 straight wins.

The first match is Kevin Sullivan & The Bullet. Sullivan runs out during his entrance and attacks Scott Armstrong! He kicks Scott's ass and backhands the referee. Bullet runs out and attacks Sullivan. Sullivan is wearing a hard plastic black mask and Gordon puts over how it's hurting The Bullet's hand when he punches. Steve Armstrong comes out to check on his brother and The New Guinea Headhunters attack him at ringside. Bullet mounts a comeback in the ring and then goes out to help his sons. Bullet fights off both Headhunters but the ref counts him out during that time. Sullivan & The Headhunters continue their beatdown on The Armstrong family but Steve & The Bullet make their comebacks at the same time. Sullivan gets sent into the ropes where he runs into Steve Armstrong and then The Bullet rolls him up for the pin and the Continental Title! Sullivan attacks him immediately and then takes the mask off of The Bullet! This time you can pretty clearly see, even with the crappy footage I have, that it's Bob Armstrong. So I'm sure we'll be told that there wasn't a good shot of his face. After Scott runs off Sullivan & Headhunters with a chair, Steve & Scott cover up the unmasked Bullet. Gordon then tells us exactly what I assumed, that we couldn't get a good shot of his face.

After commercial Bullet is wearing his red sheet in the ring with Scott & Steve. Steve says this is going to end soon because he and Sullivan have a loser leaves town match and one of them is going to be gone. They go to the podium where Sullivan talks about how he is bringing in The Flame and Abdullah The Butcher. He says the Continental Title is going to be his again soon enough and The Armstrongs are all going to be gone.

The next match is Mr. Dynamo vs. Rip Rogers. This fat masked jobber is the guy Gordon was putting over as the Canadian with 51 straight wins? Mr. Dynamo comes out strong and Rogers decides to take a breather outside the ring. Rogers takes over after Dynamo misses a charge into the corner. Rogers wins with a Boston Crab. So much for Mr. Dynamo's win streak. After the match Gordon talks to Adrian Street and says they have had a lot of calls and letters to see one of his music videos and then they replay the "There's Something Very Strange About a Cowboy" video that thoroughly amuses me.

We come back from a commercial to Kevin Sullivan & The New Guinea Headhunters at the podium with Kevin Sullivan. Sullivan starts to talk about a Southern Street Fight coming up with The Headhunters when Gordon cuts him off to show a video of The Stud with his "ugly stick" and Robert Fuller talking about what they are going to do to The Headhunters in the Southern Street Fight. Sullivan freaks about The Stud having a club, Robert having a cast, and their cowboy boots.

Burhead Jones & "making his start in professional wrestling" Gene Williams are in the ring waiting for Tony Anthony & The Dirty White Boy to come out and squash them. Memphis Mark if you have any info about Burhead Jones give it to me! He seems like more than just a run of the mill jobber. I did not notice but Gordon tells us that Gene Williams has been a referee for the past few months in Continental and is now making his debut after a long period of training. Gordon drops some wisdom about the difficulty in transitioning from being a referee to a wrestler. Anthony works a while with the new guy but as soon as Stubbs comes in he gives him this dismissive shove into the corner like "I don't feel like working with some green punk tonight, make a tag." Burrhead Jones comes in and does some dancing that confirms to me he must have been more than just a jobber at some point. These are clearly well practiced wrestling taunts. Jones tags Williams back in and Stubbs again decides against working with him and tags out to Anthony. DWB just about takes off his head wiith a clothesline and then it's "beat on the rookie time." Williams takes a real beating as DWB and Stubbs tag off taking turns kicking his ass until Stubbs finishes it with the Scorpion Deathlock. They attack Burrhead Jones after the match which sends The Nightmares down to the ring to make the save. Well not so much since by the time they get to the ring all the damage is done and the jobbers have been tossed outside. The Nightmares' color of the day is yellow with yellow tights, yellow facepaint and yellow painted hair. The Nightmares come out and have a wild brawl with Stubbs & White Boy which is ended by a commercial break.

There's a local promo with Gordon standing at the podium with Adrian Street & The Nightmares. Adrian Street has a Christmas Card for Rip Rogers with another lame fleabag joke. Danny Davis talks about Stubbs & White Boy trying to stop the career of Gene Williams who is just trying to break into wrestling. There's no place for that in wrestling, and they are coming for the tag titles in Columbus.

Back from commercial Tom Pritchard talks about underestimating Roy Lee Welch. He asks Gordon to show a tape of a match of theirs from Knoxville. Welch is shown hitting the referee and then going outside the get a rope that he had hidden inside his robe. Welch snap mares him around with the rope and then ties him up in the ropes and comes down with a knee across the throat. Pritchard says Welch couldn't get the job done, and he never will. Pritchard challenges Roy Lee Welch to a Bullrope Match and he wants the loser to leave town.

The main event is Kris Von Colt facing Wendell Cooley for the Alabama Title. Not coming into this with very high expectations that's for sure, I sure wish Cooley still had his Wildcat jacket. Colt attacks Cooley before the bell with the Nazi helmet he wore to the ring. Colt pulls handcuffs out cuffs Cooley to the turnbuckle. Colt then pulls out a chain and starts whipping Wendell Cooley with it. The ref tries to stop him and gets tossed aside. Colt then pulls out ANOTHER object from his pants, this time a spike. He starts digging it into the eye of Cooley until Tom Pritchard runs out and Colt takes off. Colt grabs the Alabama Title and takes it with him. A helmet, handcuffs, a chain & a spike. Then a title theft. This felt like some serious overkill for a feud that hadn't even really started yet.

The show ends with Sullivan in the ring saying that Colt is having some problems and needs his medication. He's been rushed to the hospital and the title is gone. Cooley is fired up at the podium with Gordon. He says he is going to get that title back and then his promo is cut off by commercial and then we come back to Gordon giving us a rundown of the day's events. I can only assume Cooley had to be censored again.

JksE3r.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I have been watching a ton of wrestling lately. Georgia, SMW, random Memphis youtube stuff but no Continental. I'll fix that by knocking out the last show of 1986 and then I can say I've recapped what footage exists for the entire year.

The date on this show is 12/20/86. As usual we start at the podium with Gordon telling us what we'll see on today's show. The lineup includes Tom Pritchard & Roy Lee Welch in a Texas Bullrope match and The Tennessee Stud & Robert Fuller against The New Guinea Headhunters. And the show is going to start off with the Texas Bull rope Match!

Roy Lee Welch must have said that Kings trump Champions because he gets to come out second. The King of Wrasslin shouldn't have to subject himself to this type of barbarism but Tom Pritchard has a good beating coming to him so I suppose he must choose an appropriate match to punish the man. During the match Gordon lets us know that Kris Von Colt is being fined $1000 a day that he keeps the stolen Alabama Title. Well it's been at least a week since the last TV taping so he's probably already out the whole month's pay by now. Pritchard bleeds early and takes an ass kicking for most of the match. This is my favorite Pritchard match I've seen in Continental by far because all he does is bleed, sell and get his ass kicked. Welch is working really vicious in this match, lots of choking and cow bell shots. Pritchard makes a comeback and flips Welch over by pulling the rope between his legs. Pritchard is on his way to hitting the 4th corner when he Welch starts pulling on the rope. Welch's momentum ends up pushing them both into the 4th corner and the ref calls it a win for Tom Pritchard. Roy Lee rightfully is unhappy with this turn of events and begins a righteous beatdown on the false Jr. Heavyweight Champion. He ends up hitting a nasty snap mare with the rope around Pritchard's neck and then hangs him over the top rope until Adrian Street makes the save. I could get into a Street vs. Welch feud but I think the Rogers/Street feud ends up being never ending.

We come back from commercial to Gordon hyping a big 12/30 card at the Lavender Coliseum with Steve Armstrong & Kevin Sullivan in a Loser Leaves Town match, Roy Lee Welch & Tom Pritchard in another Loser Leaves match, The Flame vs. The Bullet, Fuller & Stud vs The Headhunters in a Southern Street Fight, Adrian Street vs. Rip Rogers and The Nightmares vs. Jerry Stubbs & The Dirty White Boy. Damn, let's start a time machine road trip.

The next match is a Southern Street fight between The Stud & Robert Fuller vs. The Headhunters. Is this the much hyped match? I thought Golden was in that one. This is an all out war from the bell. The crowd looks kind of depressingly small in certain camera shots. I don't want to do play by play so I'll just tell you there is a lot of clubbering and taking off boots & belts to use as weapons. And Gordon answering Kevin Sullivan's question about whether he likes watching this by saying "Well it's a little bit kinky right now."The Headhunters decide to just take off and leave so the ref counts them out. Pretty weak ass finish but this was a fun brawl for a few minutes. Sullivan amuses me as he can't even keep his own booking of New Guinea Headhunters straight saying this isn't how his men learned to fight in Samoa.

After the match we get the dueling promos deal with Stud & Fuller in the ring and Sullivan & The Headhunters at the podium with Gordon. Sullivan says his men don't know about a Southern Street Fight but they know about violence. He reminds them what happened to Jimmy Golden & Robert Fuller's arm. Sullivan is going to take The Headhunters out behind a barn and teach them about a Southern Street Fight. Stud says that was just a taste of a Southern Street Fight for them because he didn't get to use his Ugly Stick. They are going to use boots, belts, casts everything they can on The Headhunters.

The next match's jobber is Mike Fever and he has found a place in my heart by asking Scott Armstrong to announce him as being from "anywhere but Birmingham, Alabama." His opponent is Steve Armstrong who (SPOILER ALERT) I suspect is having his last televised match in Continental. To be honest with you guys I skipped through this match because I found Mike Fever to be far more interesting than Steve Armstrong. Steve isn't a bad wrestler but I just find him to be one of the most bland guys out there.

After the match Gordon lets us know that in 1987 The Flame is coming back to Continental. Hey, whatever happened to Abdullah coming in? We see a replay of The Flame throwing an awesome fireball at The Bullet from December 1985. I thought I was done with the fireball gifs but they've sucked me back in! The Flame cuts a good promo about how his goal every time he's been here is to destroy Bob Armstrong. He says hate just eats at you like a cancer and that's the kind of hate he has for Bob Armstrong. Then we get some more promos from Steve Armstrong & Kevin Sullivan about their Loser Leaves Town match and The Bullet telling us that this is the biggest card he's ever been a part of.

Gordon Solie acts like he just randomly sees Jimmy Golden walking around and calls him over to the podium. Jimmy has on an eye patch and says he just stopped by to see Stud & Robert. He talks about the condition of his eye and says he's almost healed. Gordon says he's looking forward to seeing him come back very soon and Jimmy Golden says that he's come to the conclusion that now that he has a daughter and as dangerous as wrestling is, he is going to retire. Gordon is in disbelief and then Kevin Sullivan comes out. He says that Golden was one of the greatest of all time and that if he had been with Sullivan it would have never happened. Then he jabs Golden in the eye and walks off as Gordon is disgusted. Golden sells the hell out of it and Cooley & Adrian Street come out to help Golden off the set.

Then Cooley comes back and is a fucking prick as he begins his promo by letting us know that Golden shouldn't have even been out here and "it wasn't his time anyway." They show a replay of Colt's beatdown on Cooley last week with Cooley providing commentary. Cooley is going to make Colt pay for every drop of blood he spilled last week. Cooley cuts a rah rah USA promo that does nothing for me or seemingly the crowd.

We go straight to the main event without entrances and it's The Nightmares vs. Jerry Stubbs & The Dirty White Boy. This has been a damn good show so far and I assume it's only going to end on a good note with this pair. Gordon annoys me in these Nightmare matches where he just calls them both "The Nightmare" during play by play. I just watched some DWB from SMW in 1993 and boy did time beat the shit out of him in the next 7 years. Ken Wayne is taking a beating and then they just cut to commercial with no warning. We come back to..Scott Armstrong announcing The Nightmares as the winners? WTF? They at least replay the finish of The Nightmares switching partners as Danny Davis is hurt outside the ring and Ken Wayne is checking on him but rolls in and plays dead as the ref is distracted. Wayne rolls up DWB as he turns around and The Nightmares win. Well now I can say that there WAS a match that finished during a commercial break and was shown on replay. How about that.

The show ends with Stubbs & DWB complaining about those cheating Nightmares but it was a non title match and The Nightmares can't take the titles. Kris Von Colt is randomly in the ring with them and he starts going off about Cooley. Cooley charges the ring and attacks him. DWB & Stubbs stand back and watch for a bit before deciding to jump in and attack Cooley. The show ends with The Nightmares running down to help and an all out brawl. This was a disappointing main event but a pretty damn good show and a good end to a fine 1986 in Continental Championship Wrestling.

tBAVxF.gif

IWhSnc.gif

2nsc12x.png

Just wanted to toss in that I LOVE this thread and reading through it...I have had these discs for a few years and never get to watch them due to soo much of my time being work and my son, so THANKS for doing these as I am enjoying the hell out of them...KEEP EM GOING through 88....dont stop now!

I'm kind of hesitant to start 1987 with so little footage. I only have 12 TV shows for the whole year. If the footage actually exists and someone has it, please help me out because this is all I have: 1/10, 1/17, 2/21, 2/28, 3/7, 3/14, 3/21, 3/28, 9/12, 10/17, 11/14 & 11/21

I'm just gonna put this on hold a bit while I see if any more footage of 87 actually exists. I'd really like to get more footage because I know that Buddy Landel ends up taking over for Sullivan as the top heel and I REALLY want to see as much of that as I can. Plus I have 99 lucha matches to watch before October.

Buddy wins the contracts of the Headhunters from Sullivan in a back stage poker game. Buddy had some great matches with Wenell Cooley in both Continental and USA Wrestling .

As for Burrhead Jones , I know Jerry Jarrett used him a TV jobber in Memphis. Jones also worked the undercards during the week. Years later Jarrett repacked him as Roosevelt Jones in an effort to get a new babyface over . Roosevelt/ Burrhead did go over and faded away.