Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-02-27-AJPW-Excite Series] Mitsuharu Misawa vs Jun Akiyama

Loss

Jun Akiyama vs Mitsuharu Misawa - Budokan 2/27/00

After this match, Akiyama was paid, laid and made. This was not a passing of a torch. Akiyama was out to seize that torch on that night and Misawa was going to fight every single step of the way to keep it. The proof is in the pudding: watch Akiyama's head snap back on one of Misawa's transition elbows in the corner or the knee drop Misawa drops on Akiyama's nose that draws blood. When I saw that knee, I was like "Holy fuck, I think he just broke his nose" and when Akiyama came up then was blood. Akiyama gave as he good as he got. As soon as, he was given a weakness (Akiyama drove Misawa to the mat on an attempted reverse cross body and Misawa came up holding his neck) and he went after Misawa's neck (yes given the circumstances now that can be uncomfortable) with a tenacity rarely seen. I am a drop toehold mark. In this match, I think I saw the greatest drop toehold of all time, when Akiyama applied a drop toehold onto Misawa into the railing. Thus match developed into one of the all-time classic Misawa matches with Misawa working underneath while Akiyama strung together one of the greatest offensive runs of all time. The whole time because of the credibility of Misawa's comeback and Misawa's elbow going all the way back to 1990 you never once think he is outta of it until he is shockingly out of it.

They are a bit tentative to start and they actually dive out of the way each of the other's moves before Misawa hits a dropkick sending him out of the ring. Akiyama, knowing Misawa too well, moves out of the way so Misawa stops himself on the apron and hits his diving elbow onto Akiyama. Misawa hits some absolutely wicked elbows on Akiyama in the corner to establish him dominance as THE ACE. However, Akiyama side-stepped a Misawa reverse cross body and drove him to the mat. Misawa comes up holding his neck and the complexion of the match totally changes. Akiyama hits a jumping knee to send Misawa out to the ring. Misawa whips Akiyama into the railing, but Akiyama side-steps him and hits the most wicked drop toehold into railing. He drops Misawa onto the railing throat first and while he is hanging there he hits him with a knee from the apron. Then he hits a knee while Misawa is hanging on the apron, then a piledriver onto the floor and then a friggin' wrist-clutch exploder on the apron. This was a holy shit string of moves all focused on the neck. Akiyama wrangled him into a cool neck submission with grapevining his legs in such a way to apply pressure on Misawa's neck.

Misawa backs him into the corner and hits an absolute monster back elbow and then a springboard dropkick to face. This is a wake up call to Akiyama that there is a reason Misawa is known as one of the most resilient wrestler ever. Misawa hits his front facelock the announcer sells it like it is 1992, but it is 2000 and the crowd does not really buy it. I will say it still looks tenacious as all hell. The crowd just was not buying it as a possible finish. Akiyama dropkicks Misawa off the top rope, hits a running knee off the apron, knee to the back into railing, tombstone piledriver in the ring and finishes this run off with a huge diving elbow to Misawa's neck while he is in the ring and an Exploder. He still can only get a 2.

Misawa gets out of a neck submission to hit his spinkick and drop a nasty knee to Akiyama's nose that draws blood. Misawa's frogsplash gets 2. Misawa runs of his impressive offense: two Germans and a Tiger Driver. Misawa hits a roaring elbow, but just phases Akiyama who hits two Exploders. On the second exploder, Misawa fumbles around before falling looking oddly like arch-rival, Toshiaki Kawada. Could the Kid actually pull it off? Akiyama hits a running knee to Misawa's face and then an exploder for 2. He hits a brainbuster for two. Finally hits the mother of all wrist-clutch exploders dropping Misawa on his head to win at that point the biggest of match of his career in grandiose fashion.

This match reminds me so much of The Dark Knight in how it is perfect confluence of the superficial with meaning. What makes the Dark Knight so great is there is enough fireworks and eye candy to appeal to our audiovisual senses, but all rooted in a beautifully woven story. It appeals to pretty much facet of humanity, much like this match. You have the story of the young upstart looking to dethrone warrior-king by attacking his neck ruthlessly and violently. The old warrior-king has plenty of fight left in him, but eventually he overcome by the surmounting pain and the indefatigable resolve of the young upstart. On top of that, this is one of best offensive spectacles to ever be produced. Akiyama does a tremendous job of never letting up just zeroing in when Misawa is coming back he does not stop coming forward. Misawa is one of the ultimate underneath workers in this match he gives Akiyama even more offense than he would usual, which shows how much he trusted him at this point. After that second Exploder, when Misawa tried to get up and just fell back down you flashed back to all the times it had happened to Kawada and it was Misawa standing tall. The grand finale was a vicious head-drop wrist clutch exploder. Akiyama respected Misawa enough to know that he had to have no remorse if he wanted to take his place in the run. *****

hits a jumping knee to send Misawa out to the ring. Misawa whips Akiyama into the railing, but Akiyama side-steps him and hits the most wicked drop toehold into railing.

I had to rewind that segment and watch it again because that toehold-tripping move was a thing of beauty.

Totally as expected, they start this one as Misawa having none of Akiyama's shenanigans -- no-selling almost everything and giving some really wicked offensive replies. Akiyama does come back, as so eloquently described above. I loved how he turned it around and locked Misawa into the front facelock (or was it a side headlock?), as revenge for earlier in the match. They do some really nutty and nerve-wracking spots on the apron -- sometimes it's hard for me to watch Misawa's violence and not think about his future.

The drama for me comes in wondering when Misawa is going to make his comeback. (he's not "Misawa" for nothing) And of course, before long Akiyama gets his face kicked off. It's that moment, when A's holding his nose and M's massaging his own neck that I feel like they become equals instead of Veteran and Young Boy. It's a great moment, and I like the fact that they took time for it to sink in. (or maybe they both really were hurting, and I am reading into it all haha)

Man, when they start blowing up with the wicked offense in the last 5 min, it's like we're watching Misawa vs Kobashi from a few years before. Insane and awesome -- I got just as pumped as the crowd and announcers did as we moved into the final stretch.

Fantastic.

Whoa, how have I never actually seen this match before? Misawa worked as hard as I've ever seen him work to put Akiyama over. At this point I assume that anyone who comes on this site and reads this is aware of Misawa and the stoicism with which he carries himself. Something I love about that stone wall he hides behind is how what little emotion he does show seems that much more important. I'm not sure I've ever seen Misawa this vulnerable anytime after his main event push, not even against Vader. From the point that Akiyama's attack on the neck intensifies on Misawa appears to be in absolute misery. I love when Misawa acts like he's not hurt but you can kind of tell he is (or is supposed to be) but here it feels like he's fighting through the worst pain of his life. He actually vocalizes his pain like he's Ric Flair or something. Akiyama is totally focused and makes you believe that this is the most important match he's ever been in.

Up until this point I had been going back and forth between whether or not Hansen/Kea vs Kawada/Tenryu or Kawada vs Hashimoto was the best AJPW match of the decade but I think this might actually trump both of those. I may even like it more than any NOAH match I've ever seen. We'll see if that changes as I wrap up my NOAH watching and this match settles in. Is this the MOTD though? No, probably not though it's not too far off.

This is a match I've enjoyed more over time, and I gave it 1st place when I went through the 2000 vote, which makes it a LOCK for top 10 in the decade and a strong candidate for #1. Due to the layout, attention to detail, pacing, and the tension level they build to, I'd peg this as the best Misawa match since the '97 classic with Kobashi. Akiyama was kinda floundering in 1999, and because of how good he looked, he was instantly credible as a headliner when NOAH started up.

I suspect a lot of people are going to be surprised by this.

• 4 months later...

I remember from my AJPW watching that this, the later 1997 Kobashi vs. Misawa and Kobashi vs. Kawada from 98 were the real great matches of the late 1990s All Japan period. You know, after Misawa became so invincible that they had to start going way over the top. And on rewatch, this holds up beautifully. I'm trying to think of anything I'd have wanted them to do differently to make this better and I really can't other than things that show up in every big AJPW match from the last half of the 90s that you just aren't going to get rid of. This is easily one of the top 10 heavyweight matches I have ever seen and it's probably number 1 for the decade.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Everything that's awesome about this style encompassed in about 25 minutes. Great opening sequence capped by the Misawa dropkick and dive. Misawa eats shit HARD on the guardrail looking for another dive, and opens up Aki to just start destroying him. Loved the struggle on the apron before the exploder suplex, and the reactions of the crowd both during it and in the aftermath. Lots of holds on the mat by Akiyama in the middle portion but it makes sense after what's been done to his neck. I love how the holds look. Everything seems super snug and is sold appropriately. Finishing sequence is required viewing. GREAT false finish after the running knee and third exploder. Akiyama comes out of this looking like a huge star.

My working number one.

• 1 month later...

I thought Kobashi vs Takayama 2004 could challenge this, but who am I to doubt Misawa vs Akiyama? :D

This match and Kobashi vs Takayama 2004 are the only two matches of 2000s in Japan that can hang with the 90s All Japan classics in my opinion. I rated a total of seven matches 5 stars, but not all 5 star matches are created equal. I think these two matches separated themselves from the pack.

So the question becomes is Misawa vs Akiyama the match of the decade in any country or in any promotion? I don't watch much lucha (I know Atlantis vs Villano III was in 2000 also) so maybe there something there, but there is nothing in America I can think of that touches this.

• 1 month later...

So I happened to read the comments on this one before I watched it, and thus didn't go in blindly but rather expecting a MOTDC. Despite that this was still awesome. Just top 10-15 awesome rather than surefire #1 candidate. Misawa brings the heat right away with an early diving elbow, flying dropkick and establishing his elbow from the outset as the ultimate counter. Things change when Akiyama goes after the neck with a calf branding into the railing and then a piledriver and exploder that just kills him. Would not have expected Akiyama the axe murderer here. His attack on the neck is just relentless. For some reason the heat doesn't yet seem to match the level of intensity in the ring (and on the floor). Maybe the crowd wasn't yet buying an Akiyama upset? After a brief Misawa control segment, Akiyama regains the edge by dropkicking him to the floor and *again* going to the jumping knee and a calf branding into the railing to try and snap that neck once and for all. Tombstone, flying elbow to the back of the neck and an Exploder only gets a near fall, but now the building has been sold and is all for it. Akiyama even blocks a tiger driver but the German Misawa follows with isn't about to get him out of this jam. Misawa eventually hits the tiger driver and Akiyama gets to kick out -- shit's about to get real. A series of great counters results in a released German by Misawa and Akiyama gets to kick out of ANOTHER tiger driver in what was probably the spot I popped the most for. Misawa hits his rolling elbow but Akiyama hulks up with 2 exploders that leave both dead. That was a little much for me and one reason I can't go the full monty here. Another run of finishers culminating with a wrist-clutch exploder lands Akiyama the biggest win of his career.

So maybe this is a top 10 candidate. Its definitely on the short list of those I will rewatch before finalizing my list. But that neck work and the escalation building to Akiyama's win were dynamite.

****1/2, my 2000 MOTY and plenty of room for an upgrade.

• 1 year later...

After a rewatch this is a serious best All Japan match ever candidate for me. For example I'd easily have it over the 9.6.1995. tag and Jumbo/Tenryu 1989.

It was structured and worked pretty much flawlessly. Miasawa's early dominance was something to behold-I'm not one to praise the sheer speed one moves at, but watching Misawa go is magical. Akiyama couldn't touch him. I LOVE the overhead camera and here it significantly added to my viewing experience-you could FEEL Akiyama's frustration as Misawa was mauling him with elbows in the corner. Akiyama's first opening came off a Misawa crossbody he countered by smashing his head into the mat. Misawa sells the neck and thus sets the narrative for the match and we go into the first Misawa FIP segment. Misawa's neck selling is absolutely sublime-he walked the line of clueing in everyone he was hurt and not going overboard about as perfectly as one could. Akiyama's attacks are all vicious and directed towards the neck. There's no wasted movement in this match. Not ONE move that doesn't make sense in the context and that doesn't advance their narrative. It's not there. I watched this match many years ago but was uncertain how to rate it, I wasn't certain how to feel about Akiyama's heat segment in particular. This time I think it's pretty clear it was crucial for the match to work as well as it did. If Akiyama just hits a million DDTs and Neckbreakers or whatever when he gets Misawa in the ring the match doesn't work to the extent it did. It gave the crowd a little break, allowed Akiyama to continue his limbwork and gave Misawa a way to make a believable comeback. Misawa's offence is of course breathtaking-and Akiyama Dropkicking him off the top rope was about as perfect of a way to transition into Misawa's second FIP segment as there was. It's something about Akiyama's character I've talked about before-he won't overwhelm others in strike exchanges and dick measuring contests (at least not Misawa/Kobashi/Kawada). He has to think up gameplans and bide his time and take advantage of every opportunity he can. Akiyama's neckwork in the first Misawa FIP section was pretty brutal on its own but it escalates even further here culminating with the disgusting Gotch Style Tombstone that Misawa reacts to with an all time great sell. Of course-since this is a big Misawa match-his comeback comes into play eventually. And boy is it awesome here. He busts out an awesome corner kick neither me nor the commentator ever remember seeing and just stiffs Akiyama on everything he does, including a nose breaking knee drop. There is struggle over all the big moves as there should be-but Misawa is just unstoppable here. And Akiyama starts feeling like an underdog yet again despite putting Misawa through so much. Until.......until one of the best sequences I remember seeing in wrestling-EVER. If you think there's no room for no selling in pro wrestling you're flat out wrong, and I'm not talking about it in something minor either. This match is a perfect example how special no-selling can be when done right. When Misawa blasts Akiyama with that Rolling Elbow you're 100% convinced Akiyama he's done-but then he just wills himself to throw himself at Misawa and hits him with an Exploder and by god you won'tever see a man running portray frustration and aggression like it did here. And then Misawa gets back up. Because of course he does. Maybe Akiyama can't win after all. An elbo-no? Another quick Exploder? Maybe he can do it after all! And then Misawa tries to get up, and I think ok, this is just getting absurd, is he superhuman or what? And they both fall down. I get he watched All Japan when he was a teenager but I wish Sekimoto and his friends wached this sequence over and over again and thought about why it worked. It's about as powerful of a momentum shift as there is. *****

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I really, really like this match, from the Misawa openning sequence, to the injury spot, the neckwork, Misawa's comeback, Akiyama cutoffs and the absolutely great no selling elbow/exploder. It's definetely the peak of the All Japan style. However, and I know this sounds dumb (it does sound like that in my head too), this match it's too perfect for me to rank it as one of the best of all time. Like GOTNW said, there's no wasted movement, everything has a point, everything advances the narrativd. That means there's no room for chaos or something completely unexpected, as I would like. I don't know, Misawa/Akiyama lacks that extra ingredient, even more when I compare it to some of my favorite matches like MS-1/Chicana, Yamamoto/Tamura, etc.

• 2 months later...

Most reviews in here have covered what I want to say but this really is just an incredible match. Feels more rewarding every time I watch it again. Just the way they manage to have Akiyama control and ultimately overwhelm Misawa for a majority of the match without it seeming like overkill is amazing. I don't really know how often a situation occurs like this but in terms of being a sort of ascension/"it's his time now" match I can't think of anything that nails it any better.

• 3 months later...

Getting old sucks. I have never been the ace of something with as much prestige as a pro wrestling company (no sarcasm here) but even in our superficial world of watching and talking wrestling, I look around at guys like QT and Case and realize I am not the young put anymore. This match showed that to the ultimate ace in Misawa and really proved that yeah he had lost battles to his peers in Kobashi, Taue, and Kawada but he had never really been beaten by someone that was clearly his junior. To add to that, here is Akiyama the guy he basically traded Kobashi away in order to team with him and bring him up. Now how does Akiyama repay him, by getting a few words of encouragement from Kobashi before heading to the ring. Everything in this match builds to a beautiful climax that really feels like the direct end of the greatest period of pro wrestling I have ever witnessed. Beyond that META storyline, the work in the match is excellent. Akiyama seizes the opportunity for going after the neck and never lets up. I love him upping the ante on the outside after the drop toe hold and culminating from the piledriver to the apron Exploder. Back in the ring, the transition from young up and comer to main eventer takes place. Akiyama isn’t desperate or acting anxious that he has this pillar so vulnerable, he knows this is his moment and he expected that. He reacts with more stoicism in this match than Misawa. Just compare how Akiyama applied holds on Misawa for submission compared to Mitsuharu. Misawa is clinching and clinging to the hope that this will be enough and Jun is calm and collected knowing he has hurt the un-hurtable. In some ways, I can see this being compared to something like Jumbo vs. Misawa from 90 but that shift in the attitudes of the junior member makes a big difference in my mind. Misawa placement in 90 really felt like a guy breaking out and becoming someone. Akiyama KNOWS he is someone for a while now and this match was confirmation for everyone else to wake up and pay attention. The clutch tombstone may be my favorite moment of offense as it is such a non All Japan 90’s big move. Akiyama shows the first bit of emotion calling out before the Exploder but it only gets two. Does he freak out? No, he applies another nasty submission with the point of emphasis on the neck. Misawa has an escape in him with the enzuiguri and starts running through his signature offense. Frog Splash. 2. German with Misawa selling the neck. 2. Running forearm right to the bridge of the nose. Big time elbow flurry. Tiger Driver. 2. Jun is bloodied and while he didn’t underestimate Misawa, this is a mythical creature we are talking about so he is in a fight now. Another release German and Tiger Driver get some more two counts and Jun is looking for space. The double Exploder sequence could be seen as some no selling but fuck if it wasn’t a powerful visual. You keep expecting Misawa to get up and get up and this time he fell on his ass. Akiyama screams to the heavens, gives a running knee and one more Exploder for a close as shit nearfall. Jun realizes he has beaten the barrage of offense and now is HIS time. Brainbuster for another close nearfall. Wrist Clutch Exploder right on Misawa’s head gets the huge win in 24 minutes. I don’t know where this ranks in the All Japan pantheon for me but it is up there for sure and one of the greatest wrestling matches I have ever seen. *****

It's a little hard to put what I just watched in a coherent review. I have a lot of disconnected thoughts floating around about it in my head. There are a lot of superlatives I want to bestow upon this match, many of which are "this was the best example of ___ that I've ever seen". Let me step away for a second and get some water.

Still here? Ok, thanks for waiting.

Now, I'll try to get it right.

This was to me far more about Misawa than it was Akiyama. To watch 1990s All Japan is pretty much to see much the story of Misawa -- seeing him lead a resistance against Jumbo and his friends, watching a two-year journey to his first Triple Crown win, seeing four Triple Crown reigns, seeing classic rivalries develop with Jumbo, Kawada, Kobashi, Steve Williams and others, seeing partnerships with Kobashi, Akiyama and Ogawa. He's either directly or indirectly involved in almost everything happening the entire decade, and his presence is felt even when he isn't involved. Kawada vs Doc in the '94 Carny final, for example, did not involve him, but was set up for the winner to face him on June 3 at Budokan Hall. Even when Misawa wasn't there, he was there.

So I watched this and thought, wow. Misawa is one tough bastard. Yes, he lost. But think of everything he's endured before now and all the challengers he's knocked down over and over and over. Compared to other challenges, especially natives, Akiyama's rise was incredibly fast, but even Akiyama needed a few years to figure him out. I think that knowledge helped Akiyama, the years of competitive intelligence, the years of seeing great wrestlers step up to Misawa and fall again and again and again. He realized he could have no restraint. He wasn't the first to realize that. But in 1994, when Kawada realized that, it meant countering a simple side headlock with a backdrop driver in the opening minute of a match. That wasn't enough. For Akiyama, it meant the most brutal transition I may have ever seen in a wrestling match: a throat-first drop toehold on a guardrail, to set up some nasty neck work.

Much has been said about All Japan's constant top this mentality, and their tendency to raise the bar to the point that the style was no longer sustainable. I have even said some of it myself. But this is an example of escalation that was sustainable. Taken properly, this is a safe bump, even if it looks pretty ugly. It's just one example of the type of escalation we see in this match that I think represents where in an alternate universe, the All Japan style could have gone and endured for much longer with less barrier of entry. Aside from the exploder on the apron, there's not really a spot in this match I'd point to as excessive, and even that was sold like hell.

In fact, Misawa sold the hell out of everything throughout all of this. A lot of times, when people talk about the strengths of everyone, specific labels are sort of applies to everyone. Kobashi is the offense guy. Kawada is the selling guy. Misawa is The Man. Taue is the lesser guy. Akiyama is the guy who could never quite pull it all together and perform at the level of his forefathers. Those of us who have watched a lot of these guys realize that that all of these labels are limiting in an unfair and reductive way, and this match exemplifies that as much as any. Obviously, Akiyama had a great night (Hell, he's had a great year!), but Misawa's selling is what made this work. It was pretty much perfect in getting over a victory as deserving. He got over his own resourcefulness, and the match was laid out in a way to highlight that, but in selling Akiyama's mat attack so effectively and in attempting to pop up after that exploder avoidance near the end and being unable to do so, he also got over that this match was unlike the other matches. Akiyama wasn't going to chase him for years. His time was now.

I don't know if this will end up being the best match of the decade or not. There's still thousands of matches to see, and my mind remains open. But if it was, that would be a pretty high high, even if it did come early. *****

I've seen this before, but I was pumped to revisit it tonight with all the recent buzz around here. I think it's after the Tiger Driver Misawa hits towards the end, the visual of him standing over Akiyama ... almost daring him to get up for more ... it's just so damn awesome. The match itself is just incredible (as all have said), and it's definitely *****. It's really hard for me to say it's better than Atlantis vs. Villano III coming up in March, so I won't say it is. But, still, damn... it's amazing.

Adding to the MOTD talk... for now I think I'd have the Atlantis match I already mentioned higher and Misawa/Kobashi 3/1/2003 is my MOTD. It's hard to say just thinking off the top of your head and trying to remember all the great matches. But, just looking at my MOTY's in he 2000s, Umaga/Cena is in this debate too.

Not sure if I had seen this match before but this is a masterpiece of a match. This was definitely the Jun Akiyama show but Misawa was phenomenal in his selling. I think I've seen clips of the exploder on the outside as I've seen that before. The drop toe hold to the railing was incredible.

I love the pacing and structure was awesome and didn't have the excess of the Misawa/Kobashi matches and I do love those. There was barely any downtime which is amazing how they were able to keep that level of intensity for nearly 30 minutes. This will be the match to beat in 2000.

• 4 weeks later...

This is just a beautiful match with perhaps the best selling I've ever seen. Both guys look phenomenal here with Akiyama bringing everything he has to go after Misawa's neck to try to take him out. Misawa kept coming back, but Akiyama rhad his number here and was greatly capitalizing on Misawa's mistakes.

Fighting spirit spots are overdone and rarely done correctly. This match has the best usage of this spot and I don't think it will ever be topped. The way that both guys just collapse after the spot is fantastic.

I could keep going on and on about great spots throughout this match, but a lot has already been said. Quite simply one of the best matches of all time.

I kept waiting for this to burst into life and live up to the hype in this thread and it finally did with the exploder off the apron. The first five minutes were nothing special, but Akiyama's attack on the neck was interesting and not something you see a lot of in All Japan. I've said my bit about Misawa's selling in the past but he really is a sublime seller. Arguably, the best in history. He didn't just sell the neck well, he also sold the burgeoning intensity from Akiyama and the growing fear that he (Misawa) might not weather the storm. I can't remember any native manhandling Misawa the way Akiyama did. Not even Jumbo crushed Misawa as badly much as Akiyama did here. Misawa made a few comebacks, but he was overwhelmed by Akiyama's speed and athleticism and his quick release on throws. I liked the storyline here, but I didn't think it was epic. Not like Kawada chasing Misawa or any of the other classic All Japan rivalries. In the end, I think Akiyama was perhaps a tad too dominant even if he was the superior athlete. The loss made Misawa seemed washed up since he couldn't score the comeback win and Akiyama was seldom put in peril. I would have preferred a finishing stretch like those Misawa/Kawada matches where both guys are pushed to the limit. On the other hand, it was the kind of win that Akiyama needed: clear, decisive, dominant. An effort to recreate the magic of 6/90 and give birth to a new hero. I think there was an all-time match buried in there somewhere, but instead it was a MOTYC for me and probably the MOTM for February, although I think Aja vs. KAORU has a strong case.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-02-27-AJPW-Excite Series] Mitsuharu Misawa vs Jun Akiyama