Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-05-26-AJPW-Super Power Series] Kenta Kobashi vs Yoshihiro Takayama

Loss

All Japan Triple Crown Champion Kenta Kobashi vs Yoshihiro Takayama - 05/26/00

All Hail Yoshihiro Takayama! Black hair Takayama is just as much of bad ass muthafucka as bleach blond Takayama in heeling it up. It is such a great change of pace from the typical King's Road style to have a native play a heel so convincingly. I have not re-watched the '04 Kobashi/Takayama (which is a favorite going into the poll), but I really dug this match a whole lot and would put it up there with Mutoh/Tenryu and Misawa/Akiyama as the best match so far.

During the pre-match rules and bullshit, Takayama just kicks Kobashi in the head with a big boot and pounces. What a prick. That's the story of this match Kobashi has to overcome the fact that he has an opponent that is not above taking shortcuts and has his partner, Omori outside ready to assist. Kobashi fires up and lights up Takayama. If Kobashi ever worked America for a sustained time in the 90s, he would have been excellent at babyface shines. As he was great at beating Takayama from pillar to post outside the ring. Kobashi looks to finish it early or at least take a commanding lead with a back body drop driver. Takayama knows that could spell the end and dead weights him. He gets a double leg takedown and just will not let go of that cross-armbreaker. Takayama will constantly use arm attack cutoffs for the rest of the match now that he was able to debilitate a body part of Kobashi. Takayama does not relent in being a heel he uses the railing, he steps on his throat and does a cocky cover. Takayama just plain gets it. At some point, Kobashi's eye has swollen shut and I have neglected to mention how friggin' hard they are hitting each other. Kobashi fires up again and gets a flurry of chops in the corner, but Omori gets up on the apron and Kobashi hits him with a spinning back hand chop to teach him a lesson. However that distraction is enough time for Takayama to kick the arm. Takayama follows up with great arm work, but Kobashi chops out of the armbreaker and actually powders to put over how much damage was done to the arm. Now, Kobashi starts to string together a combination with suplexes and DDTs, but cant put Takayama away yet. Takayama is always cutting him off at the arm it is an incredibly focused performance. Kobashi is just in his element fighting from underneath. Kobashi hits a monster Fuck You Burning Lariat, but with the bad arm. Takayama gets his Everest German only for 2. Takayama frustrated begins to hit Kobashi with closed fists so Kobashi rallies with closed fists of his own, but with his bad arm just dangling at his side. It is an awesome visual. Takayama out of nowhere hits a German for two. This time Kobashi revved up hits Burning Lariat with the bad arm and wins!

Kobashi battling through the pain to finally hit his Lariat bad arm and all is just the perfect finish to an incredible match. I loved the pacing of the match with Kobashi early on pissed off at Takayama's blindside followed by Takayama grabbing a hold of an appendage and ripping it to shreds. Everything followed from that hook. Takayama was the consummate heel and Kobashi consummate babyface. Just when you think Kobashi is making his comback, Omori distracts him. Just when you think he will do it again, Takayama kicks him in the arm. Just when you think Takayama will win with his German Suplex, Kobashi fires up with fists of fury bad arm just dangling. For him to actually win with the bad arm Lariat was perfect because he did not no-sell it. He battled through pain. Takayama would never be able to inflict the amount of pain to break Kobashi's fighting spirit. I LOVED THIS MATCH! *****

I wouldn't go with 5 stars, but this is impressive as hell and an absolutely gigantic step up for Takayama as a performer. I think Takayama was one of the best 5 workers in the world before his stroke in 2004, but in the '90s he never looked like a standout. Being in there with Kobashi helps of course, but Takayama had to effectively fill time and look credible in the exchanges. That takes timing and execution. Shame that this got lost in the shuffle for several years due to the AJ/NOAH split turmoil.

LOCK for my ballot.

• 2 months later...

These two have such awesome chemistry together. Even when they are in tags opposite each other that aren't building to anything you can feel the heat. This isn't quite as good as their GHC title match but it's still really good. Takayama is a beast, as always, and he does a pretty convincing job of kicking Kobashi's ass. One of the things that's so great about Takayama, especially in this match, is that for such a badass he's pretty good at selling that he is desperately trying to stay in the match when the tables get turned. The finishing stretch is awesome with Takayama throwing punches and Kobashi returning the favor with punches and backfists. That spot is even more exciting here than it is in the Tenryu vs Sasaki match because this match escalates in a way that really sucks you in.

• 2 months later...

I had a good length write up done on this, but continuing my streak of idiot things to do in re the 2000s Japan project, I lost it. That said, I loved this match even more than my first watch. It feels like a clash of titans, more so than any other match so far, including Akiyama-Misawa. Part of it is Takayama's gargantuan frame. It actually makes Kobashi seem vulnerable. Kobashi's offense is top notch as ever. Takayama's high, arching German is a thing of beauty. 4.5* in my book. Great match, but not the highest tier.

• 3 months later...

I thought I overrated this, but nope loved on the second go-around. In 2004, Takayama is a credible main eventer having won major titles and main evented huge shows. He feels like the first challenger that can really push Kobashi. In 2000, the hook is that Takayama is a giant bully and will use any underhanded tactic to defeat Kobashi. Kobashi at the top of his game fighting out of multiple holes to finally vanquish the monster. His selling and comeback with those left backfists and only using the right-handed Burning Lariat was so awesome. This is one of the most engaging and entertaining matches of the decade. Lock for the top ten and a contender for the number one spot because of the incredible back half of the match. *****

• 1 month later...

I've seen some of the Tak greats from a few years later, but this was my first look at him in the aughts and it was awesome. He establishes this isn't your respectful, athletic Japanese wrestling contest by heeling it up immediately with a high kick KO as the ref checks Kobashi's boots, then another at the bell for an immediate near fall. You don't need any over the top character work here to mix things up and be wildly effective, just simple, basic heel tactics that stand out so much when everyone else is playing it straight. Kobashi has his hands full with the beast and goes big early as well, with a DDT on the floor after a bunch of chops. Loved Kobashi adding a wrinkle to his offense by delivering chops to Takayama's big, nasty forehead and constantly picking him for more rather than relying on beating his cheat red like usual.

Takayama isn't just big though, as he blocks a backdrop suplex and works to a cross armbreaker, then doesn't break right away when Kobashi reaches the ropes. Heel Takayama for President! Tak returns to his high kicks, which eventually piss off Kobashi and lead to more chops to the head. Omori is on the apron and the ref has to hold him at bay but he takes a spinning chop from Kobashi and we've got legit American-style booking with Japanese action. So great. Takayama capitalizes on a distracted Kobashi by working the lariat arm with kicks and a big legdrop, then back to the cross armbreaker. This is someone who knows his role and how to effectively play it. He zeroes in on the arm, posting it and again working it with submissions. Kobashi fights back and catches Takayama up top with a superplex while still selling the arm. He then gets greedy and eats a knee from the monster on his try for a second lariat. Everest German gets us a 2 count and now they're trading strikes with Kobashi having to rely on his bad arm. Angry, fiery Kobashi may just be my favorite wrestler ever. Takayama with another German that leaves them both dead, but Kobashi pulls out the win with an off-arm lariat and then the Burning Lariat.

Okay, this was great as well and needs to be looked back at side by side with Misawa-Akiyama because its right there.

****1/2. For now.

• 2 years later...

I don’t think I have seen this match before and was really building myself up for it as it was essentially a Best of 2000’s discovery. Man the crowd erupts when Takayama takes the cheap shot with the kick at the beginning of the match. That really sets the tone for the match and the violence that will ensue. No Fear has been built up over the past year or so and Takayama is ready now. The flash pinfall kind of works given how quickly Omori pinned Akiyama in the Carnival. I loved the Carnival final match but Omori still wasn’t able to quite match the brilliance of Kobashi. Takayama is up to the challenge here and he delivers a blistering performance. Kobashi gathers himself after the sneak attack and fires off a blistering shine sequence. DDT’s on the floor, legdrops on the guardrail and a multitude of chops to contain the hungry monster and show him who the kind of the ring really is. I thought Takayama looked extremely strong taking all of this offense from Kobashi and then giving him a flurry of punches before going for the cross armbreaker. He refuses to break right away either. Tak drags him to outside, puts him on a table and unleashes with another ferocious kick. Kobashi takes that and fires off with some varied chops to the forehead that are unique and brutal looking. Omori gets frisky on the apron and gets chopped down. What a man Kobashi is. Tak uses that opening to hit a knee to the midsection and works over again with a knee to the eye in the corner that looked disgusting. He knees the arm and that appendage is in bad shape now. This attack by Tak is focused, varied and successful and with Kobashi’s sublime selling, there is a sense of great peril for the Triple Crown champion. Tak works relentlessly for the cross armbreaker and Kobashi knows he can’t let that happen so he fights tooth and nail to keep his hands together. A wonderful sense of struggle with Tak giving it up to go full mount with more strikes. Tak then goes back for the cross armbreaker and inches closer to locking it on before Kobashi is in the ropes. Kobashi tries to recover on the outside with his damaged arm. As soon as he comes back in, it is more of the same. Every time Tak hits one of those thudding knees, the crowd reacts with an electric response. Tak gets greedy going to the top and Kobashi is able to hit the superplex to regain some control. He hasn’t used his right arm once but you can see the internal battle he is having with himself on whether it is worth the risk or not. German is unable to be executed because of the damage that is done. Finally, Kobashi just fires off the Burning Lariat on the arm in a hulk up spot where the crowd explodes. It certainly does damage but doesn’t put Tak away as he hits another knee and a huge German of his own for an extremely close nearfall. They end up doing a closed fist exchange which is completely awesome and again looks so unconventional in an AJPW ring. Kenta just keeps paintbrushing him with a flurry of strikes no matter what damage it may cause. Tak fires up one last time to hit a desperation German and both guys are down. Both guys get up and now because of Kobashi’s damage, Takayama cant fire off the German. One more Burning Lariat with Kobashi pinning him in a definitive mount and we have a winner. This was holy shit great and up there with Kawada vs Hansen and any other big ass kicker AJ matches of the 90’s. ****3/4

• 7 months later...

What an awesomely scrappy and, at times, brutal match-up, with tons of fighting spirit from Kobashi and Takayama coming off like a big bully. I mean, he high kicks Kobashi in the head before the bell and demands the ref to ring it. The look on Kobashi's face just before Takayama penalty kicks him is priceless. Kobashi is able to hulk up and take control of the situation but when he tries that shit again, Takayama tackles him into the canvas and pounds away at him from the front mount, laying back into a cross armbreaker and refusing to let go after the rope break. What a jerk. He drags him around ringside, stands on his throat, boots him in the head. Kobashi tries hacking at Takayama's head and neck with backchops but Takayama cuts him off again with a nasty climbing knee in the corner. The grunty armwork adds to the grittiness of the match, and Kobashi does a great job selling it as he tries to defend himself with the opposite chop hand. I really liked the struggle on the mat with Kobashi trying to hang on as Takayama pries the arm back into the armbar. As Kobashi spirits his way toward the finishing stretch, the fans rallying him on, Takayama keeps trying to go after the arm but he's clearly exhausted. He's able to hit a beautiful high-angle German suplex hold for a nearfall but can't deliver a second. Instead, they just start popping each other with fists and while Takayama lands a few good shots, Kobashi relentlessly whaps him with back fists. The finish comes a little out of nowhere as Takayama throws Kobashi with a desperate German and then Kobashi comes back with the lariat for the win. Big performance from Takayama, who went well past empty, and Kobashi being the best babyface he can be with some terrific selling throughout.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-05-26-AJPW-Super Power Series] Kenta Kobashi vs Yoshihiro Takayama

What a match. This is the type of Japanese wrestling I enjoy -- a beautiful mix of pro-wrestling brawling and UWF style submissions. I loved how Takayama would go for a submission after a strike and the simple, direct focus on the head and arm. I also loved how flat out nasty it was. There were times when Tayakama was working a hold and looked like a shoot style guy employing his strategy, and other times when it was straight brawling using the ring post or any other measure necessary. Kobashi gave a virtuoso performance and looked like the best wrestler in the world at this point. His knees were clearly fucked and he was about as slow as Taue, but his selling was beautiful. There was that amazing visual after he had tried to knock Takayama out where he was squinting through the pain and the sweat, desperately trying to catch his breath, and you wondered whether he was puzzled at the ref stopping the onslaught or Takayama continuing to fight. What impressed me most about Kobashi's performance were the choices he made on offense. We all know that Kobashi has a large offensive repertoire, arguably the biggest among any heavyweight to ever enter the ring, but this was a match that demanded a stripped down performance offense-wise and Kobashi was aware of that. He wasn't a guy with a lot of submission holds in his bag but he was able  to do spots that looked cool like the Tsuruta tribute spot. And he was clever enough to use his good arm for body blows and shots to the head. He also relied on the lariat instead of throws. Really smart match that made Takayama look like a monster in a way that a standard All Japan match wouldn't have. In some ways, it was similar to Kawada vs. Albright except that Kobashi's star shone brighter than Kawada's. Definitely one of the better Japanese matches of 2000. In the top handful as far as the men go. Highly recommended. 

I am just going through all my reviews now and compiling a spreadsheet for the Greatest Match Ever Project. I am loving that everyone from WingedEagle to Chad to OJ all loved this. I felt like I was going out on a limb with this match but man alive that one-armed comeback is one of the greatest things to ever come out of pro wrestling. 

• 1 month later...

Not sure why I hadn't watched this before but my god this is amazing. These two might be the most underrated of rivals. Between this and their 2004 match, they are just incredible together.  I loved this from the kick to the dope to start things to the punch exchange to the one armed comeback. Peak Kobashi working against a big bully in Takayama... so much fun.

****3/4