Pro Wrestling Only

[2003-08-30-Toryumon] Maasaki Mochizuki & Dragon Kid & Kenichiro Arai vs Genki Horiguchi & Susumu Yokosuka & Magnum Tokyo vs CIMA & SUWA & Don Fuji vs Condotti Shuji & Yossino & Milano Collection A.T.

Loss

• 2 weeks later...

4-way trios match, Toryumon August 30th 2003

Background: So they did the 3-way trios in 2001 and 2002. Where do you go from there? Why, a 4-way of course.

Why I think it's underrated: This blows the 2001/2002 iterations out of the water, but it happened at a smaller show and didn't get much notice. The mix of athletic sequences, fast-paced action and comedy all leads to a momentous finish. Dragon Gate fans, you must see this. Dragon Gate skeptics, give this a shot, because it avoids many flaws of the current DG style.

What it deserves: Top 25 consideration. I rate this as the best match from Toryumon and possibly the whole Toryumon/Dragon Gate universe.

• 2 months later...

This match was all sorts of crazy. The inclusion of some of the newer Toryumon guys (in 2003) makes it seem a little more fresh.There are a few spots I guarantee will be hard to find outside of this kind of match. As spotty, indy-style matches go, this has got to be the best I've ever seen. A few of the sequences are absolutely breathtaking. The 4-way dive with the rope running timing is so fucking good. I can see this making my top 50.

• 1 month later...

UWA World Trios Champions Do Fixer ( Maasaki Mochizuki, Dragon Kid, Kenichiro Arai) vs M2K (Genki Horiguchi, Magnum Tokyo, Susumu Yokosuka) vs Crazy Max (CIMA, SUWA, Don Fuji) vs Italian Connection (Milano Collection AT, Condotti Suji, YOSSINO) - Toryumon 08/30/03

This is the Three Stooges if the the Three Stooges were twelve wicked athletic Japanese guys, three of which think they are Italian. The first half of this match is some of the best comedy wrestling you will ever watch. I loved the thread that was woven throughout this whole match was gang up on M2K. When Dragon Kid and Arai turned on Horiguchi and worked over his scalp that was hilarious. I thought the testicular psychology of Liger/Minoru vs Kanemaru/Kikuchi was bitchin, but the SCALP PSYCHOLOGY~! of Horiguchi matches has been so funny. I am not going to ruin this match with some recap of the spots. Go and watch these dudes rip it up in the ring. Also a midget in a Gorilla costume gets involved. This match has everything. What is great when it comes to time to hit the finish, they get more serious, but still keep it fun. Everybody has a chance to shine. I had always heard of the Italian Connection and on paper is sounded tremendous and they did not disappoint. I highly recommend watching the other Toryumon matches first even though they are not as good because it gives you a feel for the style and an appreciation for how bitchin this is when it all comes together. ****1/4

• 1 month later...

Just not my style of match. I'm very much in the "DG/Toryumon skeptic" realm. The comedy was alright. The action is insanely fast and there are plenty of neat spots, but it's just not my bag, baby. Too cluttered and if I may beat a dead horse half to death, too little selling. Then again with 12 guys involved, I can't expect protracted agony here. I did really enjoy the train in the corner spot, only for it to get subverted, only for them to finally pull it off. The chest slap challenge was fun too, but again, I don't think it's making for a great match. This sure is something different, but different isn't a synonym (or antonym) for good. All my griping aside, I have to admit it is pretty great for what it is. Tons of neat stuff throughout the match makes this very enjoyable to watch, though not particularly great in the context of this project. ***3/4.

• 2 weeks later...

Just not my style of match. I'm very much in the "DG/Toryumon skeptic" realm. The comedy was alright. The action is insanely fast and there are plenty of neat spots, but it's just not my bag, baby. Too cluttered and if I may beat a dead horse half to death, too little selling. Then again with 12 guys involved, I can't expect protracted agony here. I did really enjoy the train in the corner spot, only for it to get subverted, only for them to finally pull it off. The chest slap challenge was fun too, but again, I don't think it's making for a great match. This sure is something different, but different isn't a synonym (or antonym) for good. All my griping aside, I have to admit it is pretty great for what it is. Tons of neat stuff throughout the match makes this very enjoyable to watch, though not particularly great in the context of this project. ***3/4.

These reflect my feelings pretty nicely. If I wanted to watch a match with crazy spots I'd rather watch that Burning/Marufuji vs Sternness match from 8/23/2003.

• 2 months later...

Dragon Gate skeptics, give this a shot, because it avoids many flaws of the current DG style.

Not sure about that. It was still ADHD wrestling, to the hilt. I did not enjoy most of the early comic section. Not saying it was poorly done, but 12-man synchronized spots just aren't my bag. And with so many guys involved, the individual personalities and match-ups could shine through only so much. Once they started actually going for falls, the action was pretty impressive. They nailed what they were going for, and it worked for their audience. But what they were going for isn't for me, really.

• GSR changed the title to [2003-08-30-Toryumon] Maasaki Mochizuki & Dragon Kid & Kenichiro Arai vs Genki Horiguchi & Susumu Yokosuka & Magnum Tokyo vs CIMA & SUWA & Don Fuji vs Condotti Shuji & Yossino & Milano Collection A.T.
  • 1 year later...

Gave this a rewatch the other day and it is still not my style of wrestling 95% of the time.  But I am also not a big "action movie" guy when it comes to movies.  I prefer a more involving overall story and good detail work.  I still enjoy a well-done popcorn action movie now and again and to apply the metaphor back to this, this is about as well done as insane spotfests get.  And I would argue that something like this has to be thought out to really small details given the logistics of moving 3-10 guys around at a time and having the flow that it did manage.