Pro Wrestling Only

[2003-12-14-ZERO-ONE-Infinity] Toshiaki Kawada vs Naoya Ogawa

Loss

• 1 month later...

All Japan Triple Crown Champion Toshiaki Kawada vs Naoya Ogawa - Zero-One 12/14/03 Non-Title

Ogawa is 2 for 2 in terms of badass matches in my book. It has been a limited sample size, but I don't think he is a particularly adept worker, but he is incredibly effective in portraying his character (legitimate judoka/shooter badass) and fostering a big match atmosphere. Just like the Dome tag match, the chaotic flow of the match and the awesome heat made this stand out as something special. Of course, why Kawada is an all-timer is that he did not force Ogawa into the King's Road style, but wrestled the match in a way where Kawada responded to Ogawa in a characteristic manner. It was an interesting clash of King's Road and shoot-style without sacrificing each other's strong suits in a heated bout.

What I love about this video is there is a 7 minute recap of the angles at the beginning to clarify why there is an interpromotional match. There was apparently an AJPW vs. Zero-One feud which featured a tag match between Hashimoto/Ogawa vs Mutoh/Kojima. The Z-1 boys were roughing up the AJ boys after the bell was ringing only for Kawada to rush the ring and send the Z-1 crew packing to awesome heat. After that, there were white masked ninjas in service of Ogawa attacking Kawada and tag matches leading up to the big one on one showdown. I read another review that said Kawada played the a great heel in this match. Well, I thought he was a badass babyface even if this was at a Z1 show. He got a shit ton of streamers and there was definitely a Kawada chant at the beginning. Ogawa is such a natural heel. He is a giant especially compared to Kawada and his cocky shooter swagger makes him nearly impossible to like. At the outset, Kawada was selling his apprehension of getting entangled with this badass while Ogawa was egging him on with sarcastic cheers. Kawada was the first one to take it to him even though Ogawa got a nice punch combo out of the corner that sent Kawada reeling in classic Dangerous K fashion. What I really loved about this match was how much struggle there was. If Kawada had a chance to stomp of Ogawa's head on a break he took it. Ogawa seemed like he took Kawada over on a monkey flip whether he wanted to or not. The hook of the match was when Ogawa went to put Kawada away with the STO and Kawada relentlessly kneed his inner leg so that even when he hit it he could not capitalize. When he went for the STO again, he buckled and Kawada pounced. This led to the great exchange where Kawada chases Ogawa around kicking his bad leg and Ogawa is throwing wild double back fists to keep him away. At one point, the back fist catches Kawada in the head so he starts to kick Ogawa's leg from the mat that's dedication. Kawada eventually got the half crab, but not before he stomped on Ogawa's head. Ogawa is so long that it is hard to keep him from the ropes. Kawada gets tired of the double back fists so he cleans his clock with a sweet closed fist. In an effort to survive, Ogawa just tries for the STO and Kawada hits him with a back drop driver. Kawada looks to knock Ogawa out with enziguiris, but Ogawa hits the STO OUTTA NOWHERE! Kawada staggers and falls ass first through the bottom rope onto the floor. Ogawa's leg is fucked, but is able to STO Kawada on the floor. However, neither man can make it back to the ring by the ten count. Hot damn! Wait there is more! They restart the match. Kawada slides right into Ogawa's leg and does not let up. Kawada goes for the leg lace and double stomps on the bad knee. However, Kawada leaves himself open for the STO again. Everyone is out again. Kawada tries to go for the enziguiri for the knockout, but STO AGAIN! Neither man can answer the ten count and it is ruled a double knock out.

Kawada had the strategy: find a weakness and exploit. Ogawa had the puncher's chance: STO. At the beginning, it seemed like Kawada was going to be outgunned by the bigger Ogawa, but he is able to block the STO and inflict serious damage to the leg. However, once he got on offense, he was so focused on pressing his advantage he would leave himself opened to the STO. Kawada just did not have a bomb on the same level as the STO to put Ogawa away. I loved a lot of the exchanges in this match especially the leg kicks versus double back fists. Ogawa delivers another great big match and Kawada gives his best performance since the 2001 Champion's Carnival with Mutoh. ****1/4

Here here! Watched the match this weekend and had much the same thoughts as you. I didn't have it especially high in the 2003 vote, but on rewatch I shocked at how much I underrated. Honestly I think this may be one of Kawada's best performances. He was like a relentless pitbull. Ogawa was so perfect at being Ogawa too. Super distinctive, super memorable match.

Ogawa reminds me of early Shield. There is such a chaotic feel when he wrestles He is such a unique beast in pro wrestling. It is almost like he was not totally trained thus he gives these really raw performances. I have been tough (but fair) on my favorite Japanese worker of all time, Kawada and he really delivered the goods in this match. The double KO finish much like the time limit draw in the NJPW '00 tag match was a great finish for such a war.

• 1 month later...

Man, this was great and has a real shot at my top 20 for the decade. The double knockout finish isn't something I'm crazy about but I think they actually did a better job of pulling that off here than they did in a great match like Fujinami vs Maeda. In a way the way these guys sold the beating that they were giving one another and the exhaustion the exhaustion caused by it reminded me of Mantell vs Lawler.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked this match a lot. But I don't think it'll get into the top 30. Kawada adapting to other worker's styles is always awesome, and it makes for really singular matches against shootstyle guys. I thought they should have stopped at the double countout instead of restarting and going to a double KO though. Resetting from an anticlimactic finish into another anticlimactic finish seems kind of wrong.

• 4 months later...

Another rewatch and another improved rating. I loved the energy of this match so much. Ogawa is just so much bigger than Kawada. He looks so imposing. Kawada feels like the underdog Cinderella story of March Madness taking on Duke in the National Championship. That speaks volumes to both men's charisma. Clearly Kawada is the more decorated pro wrestler, but you would never tell that from this match. Ogawa had the arrogance and presence you want in a shoot style bully. Kawada was cautious, but never hesitant, he was going to fight fire with fire. He knew he was going to get hit in the mouth he was just going to have hit harder. He was out to prove pro wrestling was the true king of sports. ;) Everything about this was chaotic. With that came some awkward moments, but that just fed into the mayhem. The two flaws of the match that keeps it from the Top 10 is Kawada whiffed on a couple kicks to head and Ogawa is really bad at registering moves. He kinda just hops when he takes a kick. It is weird and jarring at times.It is kinda cool because he does not feel like a pro wrestler, but it seems like he is trying to be one. I am picking nits. This is should end up between #15-25. I loved the crazy energy with Kawada going to town on the leg to press his advantage with the STO looming ever-present to knock him out. Awesome brawl! ****1/2

• 3 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [2003-12-14-ZERO-ONE-Infinity] Toshiaki Kawada vs Naoya Ogawa
  • 4 years later...

This was better than I expected given that Ogawa sucks and I've been generally down on Kawada of late. I liked how reckless and loose it felt. Given how poor inter-promotional matches are in the 00s, and how shitty the build up was with the emphasis on "mic performances" (the Japanese version of promos), they at least gave us a genuine fight. I didn't agree with the booking decisions (the restart and finish), but I was engrossed by the action, which I didn't think would happen. Fun match.