Pro Wrestling Only

[2005-09-18-NOAH-2nd Great Voyage] Genichiro Tenryu & Jun Akiyama vs Kenta Kobashi & Akira Taue

Loss

• 3 months later...

This is the follow-up to the other Akiyama/Tenryu tag and it delivers on a lot of levels. Instead of Go Shiozaki as Kobashi's partner, this time we get Taue!! And he brings this great energy to the match. Really the only weak stuff here was Kobashi overdoing things a few times. Tenryu and Akiyama were pitch perfect with the heeling it up. Taue was 100% ready to avenge even the slightest wrong, begging to tag in several times and very clearly asking Kobashi at one point if he could stay in there and mess Tenryu up for him. The finish is off the charts good. This is a top 30 or 40 match for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
It is funny we are just a little out of sync. I have loved all the big Taue matches, but the singles matches you have ranked in top ten I have in the teens and this match you save Top 30 and I say Top Ten (currently number #7).

Kenta Kobashi & Akira Taue vs Genichiro Tenryu & Jun Akiyama - Budokan 9/18/05

A dream tag team match that actually delivers in spades with a match of the decade contender. I have had an aversion to the big dream tag matches earlier in the decade (Hashimoto Z-1 and Kobashi's '02 return), but I thought this match was an action-packed, high-octane match that played off the the earlier Tenryu/Kobashi tag with excellent Taue/Akiyama interactions. It does say a lot that a dream tag featuring all 90s stars in 2005 was NOAH's best match in 2005. Yes, they did try harder to push the new generation into key roles the next year, but matches likes this showcase how unsustainable their current model was. As a fan though, let's rejoice and be glad because Akira Taue is fucking awesome.

I loved, loved Tenryu's chickenshit act at the beginning. It is so rare for someone to actually have balls big enough to act like a coward in the FIGHTING SPIRIT~! dominated puroresu culture that it is very refreshing. If you recall, Tenryu's chest looked like a murder scene last match and is doing everything to avoid Kobashi's chops early. Frustrated Kobashi sics Taue on him, who has Tenryu and Akiyama reeling. Taue tags in Kobashi who is now licking his chops (pun fully intended), but Tenryu backpeddles and tags in Akiyama. Akiyama chops Taue off apron in retaliation. Taue DEMANDS to be tagged in to avenge this offense. Taue goes BEZERK on Akiyama whipping him into all sorts of railings. Crowd goes wild. TAUE! TAUE! TAUE! Akiyama hits a jumping knee and tags out to Tenryu. Kobashi/Taue conference and Kobashi tells Taue to stick with it. Taue controls Tenryu with an overhand chop and here comes Kobashi. CHOP WAR~! Chop wars are so much better with Tenryu because of his reactions. Sasaski is trying to be all tough and macho. Tenryu looks like this fucking hurts. Tenryu dropkicks Kobashi in the knee to end that. Akiyama knocks Taue off the apron again and dragon leg screw on Kobashi. Taue comes in and they do a runaround the ref. Taue cant get his hands on Akiyama, but Kobashi is able to tag out.

Taue wins a suplex struggle over Akiyama and Kobashi hit a sleeper suplex that is actually consequential because it leads to the heat segment on Akiyama. Taue collects the Akiyama carcass to the outside and Kobashi whips him into repeated big boots. Akiyama selling of his neck is so good. I would say Akiyama rates behind only Kawada in terms of how well he sells out of the five. Everything is so chippy in this match as Kobashi is still jawing with Tenryu. Taue drops Akiyama throat-first on top rope. In one of my favorite spots of the match, Tenryu kicks Taue in the face when he has a chinlock on. Taue comes over makes him eat a big boot. Tenryu's face is like "What the fuck was that for" as he checks to make sure he still has a jaw. The transition to the home stretch is Nature Boy Kenta Kobashi vs. Total Package Jun Akiyama with Akiyama strengthening from every chop. In fact, he accidentally draws blood from Kobashi when he headbutt him on what should have been a nose-to-nose. Thats the intensity level right now baby! I am loving just how heated it is between these four.

Tenryu is now licking his chops. Tenryu chop/punches in corner. He beats Kobashi down with double overhand fists. Kobashi comes back with spinning back chops and chops of his own. Kobashi instead of overstaying his welcome having turned the tide tags the fresh Taue in. That's what separates this from a lot of the big 00s tag is smart wrestling. Goes for Nodowa nothing doing. Tenryu scores a massive lariat. Tag to Akiyama and melee ensues. A rare Japanese miscommunication spot as Taue big boots Kobashi. Now Taue is double teamed. Exploder for two and here comes the guillotine choke. Kobashi saves and takes on both Tenryu and Akiyama at the same time. He eats an Exploder. Exploder on Taue! Taue pops up and Nodowa! TAUE! TAUE! TAUE! Taue looks to end it with the big splash. Akiyama meets him and looks for the Super Exploder. No! No! No! IT IS THE SUPER NODOWA~! HOLY SHIT! You can count to a million, Jess! 1-2-3!

Match of the year! Everybody played their role so perfectly. Tenryu was the crotchey old man that picked his spots wisely. Akiyama was the firecracker and heavy hitter for his team, but doubled as a great seller for Kobashi and Taue's offense. Kobashi played this match perfectly. He was the big gun he turned the tide against Akiyama, but he never tried to play hero until the end. If he needed to tag out whether it was having his knee worked on or Tenryu's chops, he did. When Taue has been taken out by Akiyama, he sacrificed himself by trying to take on both and ended up eating an exploder for himself, but gave Taue that valuable recuperative time. Taue, Taue, Taue! What can be said about such a masterful performance other than just go watch it. He was being built for a GHC Heavyweight Title run and he looked like a million bucks here. The home stretch is one of the best built hom stretches in a while with a fantastic climax. Top ten match of the decade! ****3/4

• 3 months later...

I liked the match with Go instead of Taue better because I liked the dynamic of Kobashi and a rookie against Tenryu and Akiyama but this isn't that far off. Possibly the best Taue tag performance of the 2000s with him just fired up about everything. This is also a better Akiyama showcase than the last tag. Probably a top 50 match.

September 18, 2005 Budokan was one helluva a show to attend. It was probably the last great NOAH Budokan show with multiple MOTYCs as the current NOAH recession was about to begin. I thought this was the sprint version of the All Japan tags of the 90s. Just everything was red-hot. The beginning was really good with Tenryu avoiding at all costs and Taue just being a steamroller. It really set the tone for an action-packed match that never let up, weaved stories between all four, and set Taue up for his big GHC Title win. You can tell how rabid the crowd was for him and really added to the match. Nothing in this match overstayed it welcome, just four of the greatest of all time kicking ass in the squared circle. The finish run was one of the best of the decade with an incredible climax. It will be tough to dislodge this from the Top 10, but I have 13 matches I am eyeing as top ten contenders. Something will have to give, but I don't see this falling below #15. ****3/4

• 2 years later...

This was a great match for sure but, not a classic. It lacked that true do or die feeling or athleticism to make it an all time near 5 star match for me.

I think the match clocks in around 20 minutes which seems rather short considering the participants. Or maybe that's part of it- Taue & Tenryu. It feels more like an exhibition or sampling but, definitely worth repeated views and a dream match that delivers.

• GSR changed the title to [2005-09-18-NOAH-2nd Great Voyage] Genichiro Tenryu & Jun Akiyama vs Kenta Kobashi & Akira Taue