Pro Wrestling Only

Is Tori Spelling the best worker in the world?

Loss

I can't get away from thinking about how much reality TV sucks. I don't watch much, and when I do the flaws leap out at me, much like the occasions when I flip to TNA for 30 seconds or so once a year.

Example: Duck Dynasty. After a couple episodes that had me lifting an eyebrow about the lack of realism, they had two family members "randomly" go to a kid's "pizza & games" place... complete with an establishing shot. Mind you, the dialog had this as completely spur-of-the-moment, "oooh, go in there!", not planned. But the establishing shot was painfully obvious. Then the two family members go in, and we get a shot of them walking up to the counter to order, from behind the counter.

Exponentially more fake than pro wrestling.

I am truly at a loss as to why millions of people are fixated on godawful, heavily scripted reality shows about B, C, and D-level celebrities, and every time I see the magazines at supermarket checkout aisles I swear I can feel myself losing IQ points.

I have a theory that reality shows that are popular today are basically taking the place of soap operas. Bad acting, silly storylines, good looking people, and so on. But now, it's "real" people doing it all and you can watch it all the time. The kind of people watching Keeping Up With the Kardashians today (Ie. female) were watching General Hospital and Falcon Crest in the mid-80's

For me the most interesting part of the 21st century TV for the uneducated masses is that it might really get pro wrestling out of it's role as the worst conceivable thing ever. I'm used to see wrestling receiving vitriolic hate, but with the advent of Big Brother, Casting Shows and Scripted Reality I have noticed that less and less you will hear negative opinions about wrestling. As journalists can tend to have more affluent backgrounds this means that they will now see wrestling more as something ;)-worthy than an atrocity. Of course my opinion is influenced by the specifics of the German media, i.e Big Brother lacking most tactical elements - but that format is now pretty dead anyways & we do have something popular that that was exported to other nations that is translated "Berlin Day and Night" that is basically Jersey Shore with the production values of the Blair Witch Project and rather gritty faux-documentary style, just imagine the "high quality" of such a program.

i think part of the draw of reality tv is simply exposing people to worlds they had no idea about

my parents sneer at almost all reality tv but they go *nuts* for pawn stars, simply because they're so fascinated with the history behind the items that are bought and sold. shows like deadliest catch and even honey boo boo provide a window into a part of america that millions never encounter IRL.

as for celebrities, well, those in the know have forever said that celebrities really aren't more interesting people than anyone else...yet people believe they are because they're constantly TOLD that they're interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

The only fake reality TV shows I like are all on the Nat Geo channel for some fucking reason. (And boy for a channel that is supposed to in theory be a higher standard than average TV, Nat Geo can slum with the best of them.) I can't even explain it. Why do I watch Wicked Tuna? I don't know. All of the conflicts between boat captains are an obvious work, and they edit the shit out of everything to patch together an interesting narrative. But somehow it works.

They had a show with teams doing this race through the Alaskan wilderness that was full of obvious eye rolling fake "danger" moments too, yet somehow I watched the whole season even though it was ludicrously obvious the whole thing was a work.

Pro wrestling works.

• 1 month later...