Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling before or after 1996?

BigBadMick

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before 1996 and it's not even close. 80s wrestling is the best wrestling. Better ring work, better promos, better commentary, better crowds, perhaps better booking too, although I tend to think people look back rose tinted in that regard. I couldn't do without all the quirks of the territories. Japan was still good up until 96 as well. Wrestling went into the shitter with the awful Attitude Era. WWE's been pretty great for the last few years but the Indies/Puro are rarely worth watching.

Actually, thinking about it, the booking was far better in the 80s. The big matches always felt like they had higher stakes than now.

Pre-'96. There's been a lot of great matches after, especially lately as the in-ring style has changed a lot, but I loved the wrestlers themselves & their characters so much more back when kayfabe was alive. If I was just to choose a federation, one single promotion or territory, that would be the same. Would I take Hogan over Cena? Yeah. Early-90s AJPW over Benoit, Guerrero, Mysterio, Angle matches? Yeah.

My favorite wrestling, I think, is when it's presented as a sport or athletic competition and when it's presented as real. So that the stakes matter. I liked wrestling a lot more when the crowds weren't so meta too. When the bad guys were booed and the good guys were cheered. Heel/Face turns mattered, titles mattered more, promos weren't full of insider shooty comments. The wrestling shows didn't just feel like long commercials to buy a bunch of stuff.

I guess it's really not close for me. Is there anyone in the last fifteen plus years I would rather watch more than Stan Hansen, Rick Rude or my other favorites from the past? I don't think so. And the commentary nowadays is so monumentally terrible I'm not sure if I would take it over a team of Lord Alfred Hayes and Elvira with Art Donovan asking how much each wrestler weighs.

My favorite wrestling, I think, is when it's presented as a sport or athletic competition and when it's presented as real. So that the stakes matter. I liked wrestling a lot more when the crowds weren't so meta too. When the bad guys were booed and the good guys were cheered. Heel/Face turns mattered, titles mattered more, promos weren't full of insider shooty comments. The wrestling shows didn't just feel like long commercials to buy a bunch of stuff.

Excellent post. This bit in particular sums up my feelings better than I ever could.

i'd go post-1997 just because there's no telling what will come in the future

i feel like pro wrestling is still struggling to figure out how much it should present itself as entertainment and how much it should present itself as sport, and if anyone ever gets it right we could see some stuff that blows away anything from the 90s...

Well, I'm 21 years old and never watched wrestling before 1996. So, I do have a soft spot for everything afterwards. However, everything I've seen before 1996 I've enjoyed immensely. I especially like WCW in 1989 and from 1992-1994. I absolutely love all of the 80s stuff I've seen. The angles were outstanding. I do hate the DQ and screwy finishes. They suck. It seems wrestling has gotten better with that after 1996. Today's in-ring quality is extremely consistent. I don't know if I can call it better, but I think it's more consistently good. The angles and booking suck more than half the time now. I don't care about that as much as I do in-ring. I'd have loved to live through all of that great stuff before 1996, but I didn't. I witnessed the twilight of the Attitude Era, the McMahon's all over the product, John Cena's Reign of Terror, and motherfucking TNA. I can pretend I'd like to go back in time and enjoy wrestling when it was good, but I gotta pick the last shitty eighteen years. I'm not the kind of fan who determines that if someone wasn't watching during a period they shouldn't have an opinion. This is a unique question though. I have a lot of strong opinions on stuff before 1996. I just think that what I experienced in real time is something I'd rather watch. I can watch Flair-Steamboat and say "that was great." I can watch Punk-Cena and say "I remember that." That's a huge difference for me in a discussion like this.

Pre 1996. It not even close . Wrestling before the end of 96 is loaded. Memphis , Mid -South , World Class , NWA , Portland , AWA, Florida , Georgia , Southwest , Southeastern/ Continental , ECW ,Smoky Mountain , NJPW , AJPW , CMLL and much more.

I am not a WWF or WCW fan so it works out for me.

I don't subscribe to the idea that there is this huge disparity between the quality of wrestling pre-1996 and post-1996. There was sssoooo much shitty wrestling, typically outweighed by that fact that the presentation was mostly great. The inverse is true today.

Having said that, I would still take pre-1996 because, having grown up with it, I can somehow watch crap Dr. D David Shultz vs Salvatore Bellomo match and still find it nostalgic and kitschy and fun, while I have no desire to watch Kofi Kingston again, no matter how much better a match he has.

i think pre-97 being so heavily favored is a reflection of the core posters' age here

i suspect there will be some sort of paradigm shift in wrestling eventually that will lead future generations to see these sacred cows in a much less flattering light. with 90s all japan for instance, i can easily imagine an even greater backlash against "epics" and head drops developing.

basically i think of the current unquestioned love for this stuff as equivalent to "rockism" in music criticism, if anyone here is familiar with that concept (with the WON being rolling stone, obv). there are an increasing number of hardcore music fans today saying "no, we don't *HAVE* to accept the beatles as part of the GOAT discussion" and rejecting a lot of ideas the rockists took for granted (e.g. music without ~real instruments~ being lower art). maybe the same will happen with wrestling sooner or later...

Nothing to do with that for me funkdoc. I just much prefer the atmosphere and feel of old wrestling to more recent stuff. It's purely a style and presentation thing, nothing more. 2012 could have been the best ever in-ring year in terms of matches and I wouldn't give a shit, because it's not "quality" in that sense that dictates why I prefer the old stuff.

I also really like exploring obscura, especially 1970s stuff and even older. The wrestling of today might be incredible, but it bears little relation to the territories, the sorts of interesting and weird carny characters that inhabited them and the smoky venues they played. It's not even a case of rose tints -- I wasn't around in the 1970s and I grew up 1000s of miles away from most of the promotions I'd watch. It's not a nostalgia thing, but a particular aesthetic.

I know my boy Ricky Jackson knows what I'm talking about here. :)