Pro Wrestling Only

Things I learned from wrestling

MFoy

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Similarly to geography or language, I learned about a ton of bands I still listen to via wrestling. Raven, especially, can be blamed, because I initially thought the Nevermore shirt he wore was his but then discovered it was a band, which led me down the path of "underground" metal (quoted due to them being virtually mainstream).

My in-ring training was pretty rudimentary, but simply being trained to bump and protect myself has saved me on a couple of slippery occasions. When you randomly trip and fall and you've got like half a second before you hit the ground, having Bumping 101 permanently programmed into your muscle memory can save you from cracking your skull open with the simplest of instincts like "tuck your chin" and "put your arms Here".

Any competent grappling or MMA dojo will teach you the same thing, I'd recommend that everyone get some instruction on how to do breakfalls, you never know when it might come in really handy.

I just thought about this post: a friend who is a wrestler in Mexico was in a motorcycle accident this morning (a truck rammed him and the impact sent him flying) and rolling lucha bumps 101 muscle memory has saved him from going head or face first on the pavement. His bike has been totalled - he's fine and will only be out for a few days with a sore knee and a bruised leg.

My in-ring training was pretty rudimentary, but simply being trained to bump and protect myself has saved me on a couple of slippery occasions. When you randomly trip and fall and you've got like half a second before you hit the ground, having Bumping 101 permanently programmed into your muscle memory can save you from cracking your skull open with the simplest of instincts like "tuck your chin" and "put your arms Here".

Any competent grappling or MMA dojo will teach you the same thing, I'd recommend that everyone get some instruction on how to do breakfalls, you never know when it might come in really handy.

I just thought about this post: a friend who is a wrestler in Mexico was in a motorcycle accident this morning (a truck rammed him and the impact sent him flying) and rolling lucha bumps 101 muscle memory has saved him from going head or face first on the pavement. His bike has been totalled - he's fine and will only be out for a few days with a sore knee and a bruised leg.

Glad your friend's ok. Eddie Guerrero has told a very similar story about his 1999 car accident. When he was ejected from the car he stated a lifetime of knowing how to fall at the drop of a dime is probably the only thing that kept him from getting paralyzed or worse.

• 5 months later...

All those years of listening to Gorilla, Jesse, Mean Gene, and Lord Alfred did wonders for my vocabulary as a child. I used to routinely use words I'd heard them say, in the correct context, and impress my teachers.

I did the same thing as a child after reading Peanuts/Charlie Brown paperbacks. :)

Glad I wasn't the only one. Vince Mcmahon also helped me out.

• 1 year later...

If you're talking attitude or character of a match, jobber squashes are fairly uniform. If you mean historical revisionism and how crowds at the moment view a match versus nerds like us watching after the fact? Eh, kinda, but the complexion would then be found in the core story or theme.

Either that or I'm not inebriated enough to discuss this. Yet.

Holy shit, you people… B)

I can't believe I have to explain that one… You've never noticed announcers saying "The complexion of the match has totally/dramatically changed" ? And you never hear about complexion of the match otherwise. It's only mentionned once : when it totally/dramatically changes ! Because it does. Every time. I'm not too sure of the exact nature of it, but it does change, totally, dramatically ! The announcer say so !