Pro Wrestling Only

Titans of Wrestling #26: The Kallies 1980 Award Show

http://placetobenation.com/titans-of-wrestling-26-the-kallies-1980-award-show/

Kallies.jpg

On this very special show, join Parv, Pete, Kelly, Johnny, Kal Rudman and a star-studded lineup of guests for the first annual Kallies Award show! Awards include Best Hair, Hottest Blowjob Wrestler, the Fashionplate Award for Most Fashionable Man of the Year and Jobber of the Year, as well as the biggest awards such as Wrestler of the Year, Match of the Year, and the Lifetime Achievement Award. Don't miss this memorable and emotional night!

The PWO-PTBN Podcast Network features great shows you can find right here at Place to Be Nation. By subscribing on iTunes or SoundCloud, you’ll have access to new episodes, bonus content, as well as a complete archive of: Where the Big Boys Play, Titans of Wrestling, Pro-Wrestling Super-Show, Good Will Wrestling, and Wrestling With the Past.

Streaming. I downloaded it and it worked fine.

This was a great funny show that justified itself on two levels by the great discussion in the last hour.

What I want to know was, why was all that background chatter allowed? I'd have sent some boys who were friends of Bruno and Tony to straighten that out.

I had it between Larry and Patera. It was real close in my opinion. If someone says Patera I can buy that argument . Though Larry had good matches with Bruno, the Backlund matches were good, he was the focal point of a good Battle Royal at MSG, decent match with Atlas, a good spirited brawl with Garea, and the icing on the cake in having Ivan Putski's best match ever. I thought Patera's highs were better. Larry's was consistent throughout the year.

In celebration of the prestigious "Kallies" I wanted to take a second and give a general "thanks" to the guys- Parv, Pete, Kelly and the many voices of one Johnny Sorrow. I started listening to Titans a few eps in and was hooked. I don't miss a podcast now. I've even started going back and listening to "Where The Big Boys Play" now (thanks again Parv and Chad) to coincide with re-watching all the old NWA/WCW shows on the network. Anyway, I rarely post anywhere, but I just wanted say thanks for the countless hours of entertainment.

So stoked already. Can't wait.

Gotta love Titans. It's just a crew of bros... amigos... bromigos, if yeww wheeeel... sitting around, shooting the shit, recapping some old 'rasslin from the past & having a damn good time doing it. Truckloads of laughs and funny moments to be had. Very much been digging it since day one.

Keep 'em coming, fellas.

So stoked already. Can't wait.

Gotta love Titans. It's just a crew of bros... amigos... bromigos, if yeww wheeeel... sitting around, shooting the shit, recapping some old 'rasslin from the past & having a damn good time doing it. Truckloads of laughs and funny moments to be had. Very much been digging it since day one.

Keep 'em coming, fellas.

Nicely put. And seconded.

Are we saying they have issues?

Pah. Who cares? It's a prequel, and peeples love prequels.

Just gotta say - this Awards Show theme had me cracking up, pretty much from jump street. Johnny's always gold. Guaranteed. But man oh man, I'd be lying if I said Parv ain't been bringing the funny like nobody's bidness since he returned. That loop of "welcome back" tracks to open the last MSG show was classic.

• 1 month later...

You guys obviously spared no expense on this awards show spectacular. It was a big budget production with some of the most popular celebrity guests in attendance. Agreed with most of the award winners but here are the differences I had on my ballot.

Best Hair: I went with Bruno. Sammartino's hair looked great and got through all those heated battles he had in the ring. Garea's wasn't tested enough. Part of me was hoping Race got the victory though so we could get a drunken speech out of him.

Announcer: Can't argue with the guy who the show is named after but I didn't see as much Philly as you guys. McMahon gets the pick for me as did an excellent job doing solo commentary. I also really liked his role in some of the earlier interviews we got to see.

Jobber: Doherty as I see him more as a jobber compared to Baron in 1980.

Fashion Plate: This has to be Blassie. McMahon wore the same jacket most of the year. Blassie switch things up . When McMahon interviewed Blassie it was clear who the best dressed man was. Blassie got robbed on this one!

Wrestler of the Year: Had Backlund my pick for the most part. Just thought he had better high end matches. But this award is not just about what happens in the ring. You guys made a great case for Larry Z. His promos over the year and how his character developed. Plus he had his own good selection of matches. I feel similar to Parv on Zbyszko on his in ring ability. Use to not be a fan of him at all but his series with Regal in 94 really opened my eyes to what he could do.

People really do need to check out Bruno/Larry feud. Incredibly enjoying to come across this stuff and see not just the matches but also the intense promos. Bruno was amazing during those. The matches were super heated. Most people have probably just seen the Shea cage match and with the audio of that and muted crowd it doesn't give the feud between these two justice. Have to see the whole thing.

I think Patera/Backlund has a serious shot and finishing very high in my 80's ballot for WWF. Just was amazed by that one. Folks really need to check that out.

What a wonderful tribute to Dominic Denucci with him winning the Lifetime Award! Not a dry eye in the audience. Well deserved. Nice to here Super 8 get a shout out at the end of the year even with Parv declaring he will be dead by 1981. Poor guy was probably in the audience video taping the whole Kallies show.

Show was perfect for Johnny's talents but the whole crew was great here. This show was amazing done. I predict an Emmy award for you guys for best Variety Special.