Pro Wrestling Only

[2014-05-03-NJPW-Wrestling Dontaku] Kazuchika Okada vs A.J Styles

Loss

• 8 months later...

IWGP Champion Kazuchika Okada vs AJ Styles - NJPW 5/3/14

AJ Styles proves that he has more tricks up his sleeve in his first match as a full-time New Japan wrestler and competing for Okada. The hallmark for AJ matches in 2014 was the struggle to the Styles Clash and combining his move combinations to successfully pull the trigger on the most devastating move of 2014. In this match, he goes a different route and looks to set up his Calf Killer, which won him his match against Chris Hero in ROH. AJ Styles working over Okada's leg shows that he is just as adept at limb work as he is at heeling and offensive escalation and furthermore how versatile he was in 2014. I freely admit that the Fukuoka did not seem to give one single fuck about AJ and while it was a great performance, it did take the G-1 Climax for AJ Styles to firmly cement himself among New Japan's big four. I am glad that Gedo & Jado had the faith in AJ Styles to get himself over all while carrying the strap.

In contrast, Okada is super over with the live crowds and I have found that to be best quality is how much the crowd loves him. I have only watched three Okada matches, but he has not set my world on fire. He is very solid and there is nothing wrong with him. He just is not connecting with me. I love his entrance, but in the ring he is just seems plain good. There is nothing extraordinary. I hope to look back on these sentences and eat them, but these are my feelings now. Okada controls AJ early with a side headlock and AJ just seems overwhelmed with the moment and can't get anything going. Okada hits the Rainmaker poses to mock all the Bullet Club posturing early. Styles desperate lunges with a double thrust to the throat and hits a snap suplex into the turnbuckles to finally swing the momentum in his favor. Styles makes use of the Bullet Club tossing Okada to the outside as they attack Okada. I like the ref not willing to count because he knew there were shenanigans going on even if AJ had obstructed his view. Okada wipes the entire Bullet Club and AJ out with a nice dive over the top, cool moment. My major malfunction with Okada is that his offense seems aimless. He is just going through the motions and while I know that Rainmaker is the end goal there seems to be no destination in mind. AJ Styles catches Okada's foot swings him around and rifles him in the leg with a kick. AJ's leg work to set up the Calf Killer was excellent everything looked like it hurt and he was great being smug while working on top. Okada did not really sell, so that sucks. Again, once Okada battles back there is a string of pedestrian moves. AJ with an eye gouge and a tremendous springboard forearm. AJ is cheating and has a game plan and is laying everything in. It is hard to argue he is not the better wrestler in this match. Okada catches AJ up top with a dropkick and now a kip up. AJ does not jump over the railing and eats a big boot for it. Hanging DDT and tease a double countout, but Okada throws him back in. Okada hits his big elbow drop the set-up for the Rainmaker. Rainmaker reversed into the Calf-Killer was the spot of the match (hey Okada sold) until the AJ Styles strike combo->Rainmaker tease-> PELE KICK! Finish run has picked this match up quite a bit. The first Styles Clash attempt is reversed into White Noise and they go into big move trading with the most surprising thing being that Styles misses Spiral Tap. The only time I have seen him attempt it in 2014. Bullet Club runs in and Yujiro turns on Okada and becomes the first native Japanese member of the Bullet Club. The Styles Clash wins AJ Styles the IWGP Championship in his first match.

AJ have an awesome performance early as a big bumping heel and using his friend. Then he switched gears to go after the knee from there they had some great spots late. They went for two or three spots too many before the Bullet Club run in. I think if the Bullet Club ran in aftter White Noise they would have been better off. Okada is over, but he gave a pretty lifeless performance and could have used at least more selling and purpose to his offense. Still there is plenty of AJ goodness in this match to make it a worthwhile. ***1/2

• GSR changed the title to [2014-05-03-NJPW-Wrestling Dontaku] Kazuchika Okada vs A.J Styles
  • 3 years later...

This is AJ's first match in New Japan after making his debut the previous month, attacking Okada and challenging him to a title match.  AJ throws Okada out of the ring early and distracts the ref, giving the Bullet Club the chance to put the boots to Okada.  This happens a second time, and Bullet Club get kicked out.  They pitch a fit about having to go, Okada takes advantage of the distraction and hits a huge flip dive onto everyone.  Once the Bullet Club leave, things settle down into a fine, but not very memorable New Japan Main Event.  Okada sells the knee a little.  Styles gets ooohs from the crowd with all of his popular spots.  He actually attempts a Spiral Tap, which I haven't seen him do in forever.  Okada rolls out of the way and is building momentum when the Bullet Club return.  Ref is distracted again, and Yujiro of all people takes Okada out with his Tokyo Pimps powerslam.  AJ is able to hit Okada with a Styles Clash and get the win, and the IWGP title.  Big moment for AJ Styles, who is finally free from TNA.  He struggled some to adapt, but I'm sure he'll settle in.  He's good enough to where he doesn't need the Bullet Club to help him win all his matches, I hope he gets the opportunity.