Pro Wrestling Only

[1980-12-10-NJPW] Hulk Hogan & Stan Hansen vs Bob Backlund & Antonio Inoki

Loss

• GSR changed the title to [1980-12-10-NJPW] Hulk Hogan & Stan Hansen vs Bob Backlund & Antonio Inoki
  • 4 years later...

1980-12-10
NJPW
Antonio Inoki & Bob Backlund vs Hulk Hogan & Stan Hansen
MSG Tag League 1980 Final Match
Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium, Osaka, Japan
★★
Card

This sadly was a disappointment for me. I was kind of expecting them to pull something fun out the bag for the tournament finale but this really felt lacklustre. These four couldn’t really point to any external factors either, the crowd were electric to start, so clearly they were engaged, and to his credit Inoki from the off was giving the requisite energy. My main issue I think is that it came across like both teams were really winging it. Neither had any clear defined plan of action or strategy and everything felt really haphazard. Backlund in Japan continues to bemuse and is beginning to irritate and Hogan was a peripheral figure, always merely following Hansen’s lead. Hansen displayed good viciousness, especially with those connective tissue moves like stomps or clubs, but he was never able to really put his stamp on this match at all. Inoki probably was the best of the bunch, again the energy he exhibited went a long way but he had another woof moment here, whiffing on a dropkick by a good bit, so 2 for 2 in consecutive matches with a botch like that, feels like it’s becoming a pattern.
This had a pretty heated final 2-3 minutes, but the ending felt premature, they certainly needed at least a couple more minutes to really get things primed for a finish. But at least that stretch was kicked off by the Lariat of the year on Inoki, they timed the sequence perfectly so that it kind of snuck up on me and the connection was just perfection. 
As I mentioned, the finish though felt anticlimactic, with Inoki sneaking a backslide on Hogan, and it was amusing to see Backlund celebrating the win during the post match interview while Inoki just looked like he wanted Bob as far from him as possible.