Pro Wrestling Only

[1980-11-28-AJPW-Real World Tag League] Dory & Terry Funk vs Great Mephisto & The Sheik

Loss

• GSR changed the title to [1980-11-28-AJPW-Real World Tag League] Dory & Terry Funk vs Great Mephisto & The Sheik
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

1980-11-28
AJPW
The Funks (Dory Funk Jr. & Terry Funk) vs The Great Mephisto & The Sheik
Real World Tag League 1980 Match
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo, Japan

Card

The wild finish of the previous match bled into the start of this one, and it felt like a messy way to start things. Before I knew it Terry somehow was somehow already in trouble, getting flung around the ring by the Sheik. Some semblance of structure was established eventually with Terry working underneath against both Sheik and Mephisto but their attempts at offense weren’t very compelling in the slightest. 
I’m no fan of the Sheik, but Mephisto was just plain trash. I can’t think of one single thing he did here that added value. His attempt at blading was one of the most poorly executed I think I’ve ever seen, so clear for all to see right in the centre of the ring. Just awful.
They swung far too violently from Terry in peril to Mephisto dead on his feet with no inbetween whatsoever. Terry and Dory tried to squeeze something out of this when they went on offense but there was nothing they could do to save this. Then we were dealt the finish. I guess it could have been worse, at least the Funks picked up the victory, but with Terry and Sheik brawling on the floor it was primed for Dory to just kill Mephisto and get it over with. Instead we got some contrived spot where Dory pulled Mephisto out of the ring, they jostled a tad before Dory dived back in to grab the countout victory. Why Mephisto couldn’t have done the job here is beyond me really.