Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-01-24-WCW-Souled Out] Larry Zbyszko vs Scott Hall

Loss

• 1 month later...

Larry plays opossum and gets the guillotine choke locked on. Louis Spicolli runs in to interfere and receives three bionic elbows for his trouble. Dusty then measures up Hall but whacks Larry with an elbow. Larry's sell job off this elbow is great. Dusty reveals an NWO shirt and the crowd is going crazy for this. They bury Larry under a WCW hat and Dusty tells the camera to byte this. I don't know if Tony and Bobby bickering was legit or staged during the replay but it really added to this moment. Dusty with the NWO was a cool moment but with him and lackey Spicolli around, the faction was certainly filling up too quickly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Scott Hall w/Madonna's Boyfriend vs Larry Zbyszko w/Dusty Rhodes - WCW Souled Out 1998

Hall is the master of making old guys seem like credible threats. At Slamboree 1997, the Wolfpac put Flair, Piper and Greene over huge and here he made this match so much fun. I loved him starting off cocky and Zbyszko showing him up with some amateur moves. Hall gets more and more frustrated as this goes on. They do a great job building that tension that if Hall can just walloop Larry with a right that the match will be all over. Eventually Larry can't keep it up because of Louie Spicolli (Madonna's Boyfriend is such a great gimmick name) and Hall catches him with a wicked right while he is down. The crowd tells me why Larry may not have been the best choice for this role because there is a pretty big Larry Sucks chant. Then a Hall Sucks chant follows and back to Larry Sucks. This is not some sign-songy bullshit. You see people in the crowd pointing at each other telling to shut up. I was getting into the heat and Hall did a great job manhandling Larry Z. Then of course in the moment everyone wanted to see here comes Big Dust. What a moment! The crowd was jacked for this and everyone was on their feet to see Dusty deliver the Bionic Elbow. Then he hits the Living Legend and Dusty reveals the nWo shirt and I am pissed. Hall should have gone over Larry Z and they should have built to Dusty vs Hall! Tony and Bobby reacting in shock and disgust came off really organic like they were shoot pissed off. It added to the moment, but I think Dusty lacing it up one more time for WCW would have been huge, but maybe he physically just couldn't go. This was a really fun match between Hall and Zbyszko, who both knew their roles well. Hall was great clowning around for Zbyszko, but when it came time to get heat he got mean. You can't ask for much more for a heel exactly what you want. Larry is not the most likelable guy and thus was not a great fit for this role, but he did wrestle a strong babyface performance. Last good Scott Hall match? ***1/2

• 1 year later...

Well...you can't accuse this finish of being predictable, now can you?

Still dumb on just about every level from both a booking and execution standpoint--Spicoli bumping around for Dusty jumped out at me, too. What was the point of that? And why exactly do we need to protect Larry with a DQ finish? Dig that "LARRY SUCKS" post-match chant, too, so at least this got Larry over as a sympathetic babyface. /s In an American wrestling environment that's falling steadily more under the influence of Vince Russo, the most Russoriffic turn yet so far is one he didn't even book.

• 1 month later...

Was that a, "Larry sucks!" chant I heard post-match? If so, that's really funny. They should have let Dusty cut a long promo after this instead of saying "That's tradition" over and over as it didn't make sense. What's tradition?

RATING: Flip, Fly and this turn Flopped.

• GSR changed the title to [1998-01-24-WCW-Souled Out] Larry Zbyszko vs Scott Hall