Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-01-29-WCW-Thunder] Interview: Scott Hall & Dusty Rhodes

Loss

• 1 month later...

Hall is here to do his survey and guess what, it's one more for the good guys. Dusty comes out and cuts a whale of a promo talking about tradition and his intentions with the NWO. He tells Tony that he kept asking for someone to do something and he went and did it. He has a word for the marks on the internet that Larry wont be having any comebacks. Dusty was awesome in this role and I do feel like it could have lead to something really cool.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hall is still sporting the Syxx t-shirt, which may have been an act of open rebellion for all I know. The Mid-South Coliseum is pretty pro-NWO tonight, though there are plenty of boos for both. Hall then complains about how he's being left out of the title picture after WW3, and makes threat toward...Roddy Piper. Can't wait for that one.

Dusty does his best to try to make sense of this stupid turn, by blaming the corporate takeover of WCW for killing wrestling tradition and shunting him to color commentary where he had to carry Tony Schiavone. He throws in a nonsensical swipe at Internet smarks too--ooh boy, he used shoot terms, I'm interested now. I might like Heel Dusty better if he changed anything about his delivery, but as it is this is all just dumb and not really any better than Shane Douglas' shooty-shoot crap, just a way for Dusty to try to leech off of something hot the way he always did when he was a booker and to possibly try to settle some grudges that the fans at large don't give a shit about. I mean, what the hell was this building to? Dusty vs. Larry in a match?

I would have loved to see Larry respond to this by bringing up those mysterious old photos again. Hey, it wouldn't have been higher above the fans' heads than half of this promo was.

• 1 month later...

The same Hall promo we see every week. Dusty comes out and gives a great promo that includes his '91 run as booker, internet marks, and even the fired syxx-pac all in one swoop. This should have been cut at Souled Out, but still glad we got it here.

RATING: Dusty as heel is weird, especially since no matches will be coming out of it.

• GSR changed the title to [1998-01-29-WCW-Thunder] Interview: Scott Hall & Dusty Rhodes