Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-01-30-Promo Azteca] Mr Aguila & Pantera & Salsero & Venum Black vs Juventud Guerrera & Mosco de la Merced & Pantera Del Ring & Super Crazy

Loss

• 1 month later...

Is this the yearbook debut of Super Crazy? This features a good bit of guys I am not familiar with. For a pure spectacle spotfest, I thought this first caida was better than the Souled Out match. Plenty of crazy spots to mention like the dive into the third row. Juvy jumping around like a loon. Aguila was really showing off flipping around like crazy. Second fall slows things done more with the Juvy's side taking control and doing some pounding on their opponents. The Young Bucks stole some of the spots from Super Crazy with the legdrop/moonsault combo. A big time leg drop from Juvy ends this one. Grannies in sweaters are in the crowd. Third fall starts more frantic action and spots. Crazy and what I assume is Venom Black (please correct if wrong) take center stage and I have to say, I kind of wish this match was just a nutty spotfest. Juvy tries his hand next and gets shut down before he is able to get a reverse DDT. Juvy also takes out Salsero. Pantera then comes in and him and Juvy go flying over the ring. I am a bit confused with this third fall as it seems to be elimination rules. Pantera thinks the match is won but he forgot about Juvy. Juvy locks on a submission but lets it go. Juvy fouls Pantera which is not seen by the ref and the ref and Venom get into a scruff. Juvy pins him to salvage the month of January for him. As I said, I really dug the first fall but thought the second and third falls meandered quite a bit and did not deliver on the promise of the opening caida of a balls to the wall spotfest. (**1/2)

• 3 weeks later...

I think I liked this a bit more than soup. I thought they maintained the fast pace and all-out highspots throughout most of the match. It did slow down some in the third fall, but I still think what they were doing was pretty good. However, I will concede that the slower pace sort of exposed that the highspots were all these guys had, as there just wasn't much to see here other than the athleticism. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. It made for a good match for me, but I agree that it could have been better and that the first fall was the best part of this match. It had a real inverse build where it started off hot and slowly cooled off. Juventud really punted on that low blow though.

• 1 year later...

This was okay, but I think soup has it nailed--a lot of lucha matches start slow with perfunctory opening falls and then get better as they go along. This started off great and then trailed off, without much of a story being told through the falls and some nonsensical stuff like Venum Black constantly picking Super Crazy up when he has him beat. Panterita del Ring also dragged this down pretty badly every time he was in--he came off as older and clumsier than everyone else in the match by an order of magnitude. They attempt to push this into semi-epic territory by having everyone get eliminated in the third caida until it's down Juventud and Pantera, who both eliminated multiple guys. Juventud boots Pantera in the groin to set up the win. I thought Aguila was the standout guy here with some amazing high spots and execution. All in all, it was worth it to finally get a look at Promo Azteca--the atmosphere isn't bad but it definitely feels a bit more minor-league and less heated than CMLL or AAA and you miss the usual Galavision announcers. And getting a look at Super Crazy is significant as well, though he sort of gets lost here.

• 1 month later...

Fun to watch all of the highspots, but the submissions to end each caida made it impossible to suspend my disbelief at all. Most of them just looked like loosely applied normal holds. Maybe my expectations were too high.

RATING: I thought this was worse than the Souled Out Lucha match.

• GSR changed the title to [1998-01-30-Promo Azteca] Mr Aguila & Pantera & Salsero & Venum Black vs Juventud Guerrera & Mosco de la Merced & Pantera Del Ring & Super Crazy