Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-02-19-WCW-Thunder] Goldberg vs Fit Finlay

Loss

• 1 month later...

Goldberg is getting a roar and has pyro but still is not walking through it yet. Bobby is putting over him as DA MAN. I should mention here that THunder's set has changed from the cave setup. Finlay once again takes it right to Goldberg but is unsuccessful. A powerslam into a knee buster and a big swing from Finaly hanging onto the ropes are the hgihlights. Finlay locks on a sleeper for a second but Goldberg flips him over. Spear/Jackhammer and the streak continues. I'm enjoying Goldberg squashes immensely. (*)

• 2 weeks later...

The early Goldberg squahses on this year book have all been fun. I think I might have already said it, but Goldberg does not get nearly the credit he deserves for his work in his early days. He does a lot of fun stuff that not many guys in WWF or WCW were doing at the time. It doesn't hurt being in there with Finlay, but this was about as fun of a squash as you can get. The problem was they kept doing them long after they fit (after Goldberg one the US title they should have been scaled back) but so far these have been perfect and he's getting more & more over each passing week.

I crack up at Lee Marshall laughing at Tony Schiavone for looking for logic in WCW storylines. Amen, Lee Marshall. This is another really fun squash. I'd argue that Goldberg is better than the Road Warriors were when they were booked far more effectively and became more enduring stars. This was my favorite one so far. Finlay did a great job feeding him stuff.

This made for an interesting contrast to the more famous Regal match, because Finlay, who was just as tough a guy, willingly set up Goldberg to look great. The Regal match was more memorable, but this was more professional. I agree with the Goldberg squash love. He wasn't some phony creation at all; he really had something, even if that something was limited.

• 1 year later...

Yes, it's cool to see someone update the Road Warrior template for where wrestling had been in the '90s, and I wish the submission aspect of his work had been played up more. Hard to argue with that pop for the spear and jackhammer, though. Finlay goes all out to get this guy over huge, bumping like crazy and begging off, getting in virtually zero offense. But a fun squash nevertheless.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1998-02-19-WCW-Thunder] Goldberg vs Fit Finlay