Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-03-15-WCW-Uncensored] Sting vs Scott Hall

Loss

• 1 month later...

I don't know what they had planned if anything when Hall won WW3 but this is totally forgotten. Sting decking Dusty on the apron is interesting and feels like a WCW legacy moment. Curtis gets taken out and Dusty tosses Hall brass knuckles. Sting reverses an Outsider's Edge into a Scorpion Death Drop. Sting and Rhodes go face to face and Sting crotch chops at Dusty. What a mess as this seems to set up a dilemma between Rhodes and Sting that went nowhere.

Last few minutes. Dusty takes a bump! Mark Curtis take a bump and I'm surprised to see him refereeing this late. I still think this was a waste - Hall winning could have served as the impetus to do Hall/Nash vs Hogan/Savage, with Hall and Nash coming out to attack both guys during the cage match. I remember thinking that's exactly what was going to happen at the time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

WCW World Heavyweight Champion Sting vs Scott Hall - WCW Uncensored 1998

Crow Sting is just a shitty wrestler. The Avenging Angel character is wicked cool and a really genius idea, but fuck Sting just sucked at this point of his career. Hall was pretty damn funny with all his stooging and falling outside of the ring on his ass. I was always a mark for his staggered Giant walk after a chokeslam. Sting could not fucking sell cheap central heat to Eskimos. The Sting falling face first into Hall's junk was also pretty funny. Should they really be having a comedy match with Sting and the World Title? No, they shouldn't but it was the best part of the match by far because Sting could not work anyways. There is interference, a ref bump, Dusty Rhodes drops an elbow, but Sting hits the Slop Drop to win. Nothing match. If Hall was wrestling in the midcard and doing this schtick, it would have been awesome.

• 1 year later...

Good to see Mark Curtis back again, however briefly. Sadly he really just looks bad and emaciated here, though he still takes a ref bump like a champ as best he can, which is kind of shocking. Sting levels Dusty which is kind of an interesting sight, en route to a victory. Pretty routine but the crowd was into it.

Per Dave, the WCW creative brass *did* want to do MegaPowers (Monster Maniacs?) vs. Outsiders, but You-Know-Who overruled that.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Just watched this for the first time.Pretty awful stuff. Someone posted, I think in the GWE forum, that Hall is a guy that's been in some good (even great) matches but never a match where you say, "That was great because of Scott Hall." This is a bad match that is only semi-decent because of Hall, though. He's over and his prat falls and selling are fun.

I might have mentioned it on here or just in my blog but Dusty in the nWo was such a shit idea. Not just because he was WCWs biggest cheerleader. Not just because the nWo already had valet/manager types in Bischoff, Liz, and Vincent. But because Dusty Rhodes in 1998 was not cool. Hall and Nash were hip - they wore their bandanas like Tupac and winked at the camera and called Zybysko a dinosaur and it was that attitude that may them appeal to 14 year olds. Dusty was not cool to any 14 year old in 1998. They let Dad hang out at the high school beer bash with Hogan and it was funny because Dad/Hogan went over the top with his new gimmick, but the fat, lisping Grandpa wearing Wranglers made no sense. What did they kayfabe gain from having him around? Bischoff was the nerd they let in because he had power. Vincent they let hang around because he was the bagman. Ted DiBiase was the money. Nick Patrick could help them cheat. What could Dusty do for them except help them beat Zybysko? Just so stupid to me.

• GSR changed the title to [1998-03-15-WCW-Uncensored] Sting vs Scott Hall