Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-03-29-WWF-Wrestlemania XIV] The Undertaker vs Kane

Loss

• 2 months later...

We cut to the finish with Taker giving Kane a third tombstone and winning the match even though Kane kicks out right at the three count. Bearer grabs a chair after the match and gets slugged down but that allows kane to take Taker out after the match and retain his heat letting the viewer know this feud was far from over.

I was surprised we didn't get a little more taste of the match, though obviously it wasn't good and is readily available for viewing should anyone choose. I wonder if these two had a good match in them if pitted at the right time in their careers. Taker never seemed great at the monster vs. monster matches, so maybe not.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I remember this being okay-ish, maybe even surprisingly good considering who it was. This has to be the closest we ever got to the Streak being busted before it was the STREAK, right? I recall being surprised that Kane didn't go over here and in retrospect I kind of still am. They do go all-out to protect Kane as much as possible in a clean defeat--it takes three tombstones to (barely) put him down and he gets up and lays out Undertaker after the match with a tombstone of his own onto a chair.

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1998-03-29-WWF-Wrestlemania XIV] The Undertaker vs Kane
  • 4 months later...

This was quite the effective heavyweight slugger. One of the best uses of Kane that I've seen and I actually liked Undertakers performance. Liked his punch combos, liked his huge dive, liked him going for a damn victory roll of all things, liked him blocking Kanes assault and surviving. Ending sequence was about as well executed as you can ask for.

• 11 months later...

Much better than any other big man match Undertaker had at this point in his career, but it's obviously not a technical masterclass or anything. Kane's character being over certainly helps matters. He's perfected his Michael Myers influenced act. There's a lot of sub-par brawling, broken up with some decent spots. There's enough big moments like the table bump, cinematic entrances and the barrage of Tombstones to keep you distracted from the fact that there's not a whole lot of worthwhile wrestling in this. The ending worked well as it gave Undertaker a win, while keeping Kane strong and giving them a reason to continue their feud.

★★½

• 6 months later...